Tamiya 1/35 M3 Lee

12 minutes ago, Andy J said:

So definitely the final update for today I thought I'd have a play with some weathering pencils 🙂. The idea was to try and make the sharp steel edges of the tank stand out a little and also to bring some life to the two boxes on the rear hull. Not a huge difference but I like what I see 

For me, the difference is obvious, it really brings more life. And what kind of pencils do you mean?

Vytautas

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, echen said:

They're working well. Like the effect.

Thanks mate should make a nice difference when finished 👍 

14 minutes ago, Dads203 said:

Blimey mate, another one flying along :thumbsup: Lovely job on the OD. 

Thanks Dan I'm happy with the results so far 🙂👍

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, vytautas said:

For me, the difference is obvious, it really brings more life. And what kind of pencils do you mean?

Vytautas

Thanks Vytautas here's a pic of the ones I'm using 

spacer.png

You can use them wet or dry i think they could be very useful in the future 👍 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Andy ...got a set of T51 rubber blocks for the lee here if ya want em.....let me have your address i'll stick them in the post to you....there workable AFV Club ...bit fiddly to put together but will work beautifully on this build.

used AFV Club on this build just a different pattern

spacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 7

18 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Andy ...got a set of T51 rubber blocks for the lee here if ya want em.....let me have your address i'll stick them in the post to you....there workable AFV Club ...bit fiddly to put together but will work beautifully on this build.

used AFV Club on this build just a different pattern

spacer.pngspacer.png

Thanks Steve I'll send you a PM with my address details 🙂👍

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Vytautas here's a pic of the ones I'm using 

Thanks, Andy, yes I know them, I just thought you were talking about some unknown product. I use watercolor pencils too, only from other companies, I really like them.

Vytautas

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, vytautas said:

Thanks, Andy, yes I know them, I just thought you were talking about some unknown product. I use watercolor pencils too, only from other companies, I really like them.

Vytautas

These are a bit expensive for what they are but I'm enjoying experimenting with them 🙂👍

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

You don't hang about do you.!!

Very nice paint there, looks the business already...

Thanks for the comment and your right I don't tend to hang about with my builds but I enjoy them thoroughly 🙂👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy J said:

These are a bit expensive for what they are but I'm enjoying experimenting with them 🙂👍

I buy watercolor pencils from an art store where you can buy more shades for a little less.

Vytautas

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Pig of the Week said:

Can't wait to see how this one evolves :) Great stuff ! 

Progress will slow down a little now as I wait for tracks and decals but I'll be back at it tomorrow still have a couple of things to take care of 🙂👍

• Like 1

Has someone lit Andy's blue touch paper with warning me!

The thing is virtually done and I missed it!

Great paintwork, as usual, mate the OD looks really good.

Really should try out these pencils properly, I have them but never really "got into them".

Atb

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Has someone lit Andy's blue touch paper with warning me!

The thing is virtually done and I missed it!

Great paintwork, as usual, mate the OD looks really good.

Really should try out these pencils properly, I have them but never really "got into them".

Atb

Thanks Darryl the weathering pencils are worth persevering with imo and with a bit of practice i reckon they could be used for chipping effects and scratches 🙂👍

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

I have them but never really "got into them".

Same here, And like @vytautas mentioned above I have dozens of artists watercolour pencils, and don't see any real difference - apart from the price! Guess I should practice a bit more with them too.

Keith

• Like 2

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Same here, And like @vytautas mentioned above I have dozens of artists watercolour pencils, and don't see any real difference - apart from the price! Guess I should practice a bit more with them too.

Keith

Hi Keith as I'm waiting for tracks and decals I've been adding some wear and tear chipping I suppose and although there's only a subtle difference i really think it works. Take a look at these pics but I'm not completely finished yet still wip atm 

spacer.png

spacer.png

You may have to look closely but I'm happy with the results so far 🙂👍

• Like 6

That's fine, Andy! Looks really good 👍

It is very convenient to make a lot of shades with pencils, then the surface becomes more interesting. I do the shades as follows: I paint small areas of the surface with different colors with dry pencils, then smooth the surface by rubbing with a hard, dry brush, then draw again, add more details, and so on:

spacer.png

This only one of many ways

Vytautas

• Like 3

So today's update and I've applied some very subtle chipping effects and also a semi gloss coat and a couple of filters to try and bring everything together. A couple of the tools on the left fender have been painted though these will be weathered later so they don't look so clean. Not much for me to do now as I await the arrival of the tracks and decals though I will continue tomorrow with the rest of the tools etc and possibly some further weathering. Here's a few pic's of today's progress 

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

So that's all for now but I'm happy with progress so far. Thanks for looking back soon 🙂👍

• Like 10

6 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

They're looking good tbf! So's the whole tank...!!

K

Thanks Keith not much left to do now 🙂👍

28 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Very nice subtle chipping and paintwork, your certainly raising the bar with this one!

Stay safe           Roger

Thanks Roger I'm changing my style with this one as I think i have been guilty of over weathering some of my previous builds i think sometimes less is more with armour if you get what I mean 😏

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Andy J said:

Thanks Roger I'm changing my style with this one as I think i have been guilty of... 😏

Probably most things, why just limit it mate?.....😉

This really is looking good.

Must say I do like the relaxed style, build and enjoy.....🤔

• Like 1