BAE Hawk conversion to T.2?

bootneck

Hello all,

I have a BAE Hawk T.1 kit that I would like to convert to a T.2 (long-nosed two-seat) version.  Can anyone advise me of what else would be needed apart from a new scratchbuilt nose?  Are there any detailed plans available, showing where I would need to cut and transplant etc?

cheers,
Mike

Just a new scratchbuilt nose, different cockpit, an RWRfairing on the tail, two strakes in front and below the stabilators, And a different wing, with different fences, new wingtips and a few other changes...

Really IMHO it is more work than it's worth, more so as there are kits of the Series 100 Hawk, on which the T.2 is based, in all scales except 1/144.. and of course now I'll find out that this is exactly the scale you're interested in... 😆

Hi Giorgio,

I already have a 1:144 scale Hawk T.2 but I also have the Airfix 1:72 scale T.1 and the Italeri 1:48 scale T.1.  It is (was) one of those larger kits that I would have wanted to convert; however as you say, that is just too much work.

cheers,
Mike

Mike - Airfix have just re-released a 1/72 Hawk T2 with RAF decals, or they did a Hawk 128 (?) in 1/48 scale which is a T2 and you can get decals for the 4 Sqdn version from Xtradecal.

hope that helps.

John

There are usually a couple of Airfix 1/48 Hawk 100 (Canada / Australia) for sale on eBay, mainly around the £20/£25 mark.  Any decals required for the kit are usually available in the aftermarket decal range.  With my 1/48 ROK Hawk  there is about 10 different decal sets to choose from.

Thanks guys but I already have three Hawk kits so I don't want to be buying any more.  The idea was to convert one of them to a T.2; however, Giorgio explained that would be an exercise too far for me.

cheers,

Mike

Mike, if you really don't want to build a T.1, then you may consider a hybrid like the Korean Mk.67: these are series 60 aircraft, that is very similar to the T.1, but with a longer nose similar (but not identical) to the T.2

Of course this would not be an RAF aircraft and decals may not be easy to come by but it is an unusual and interesting variant

4 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

decals may not be easy to come by but it is an unusual and interesting variant

Korean Hawk markings were available on this Model Alliance sheet - probably on the same Unobtainium level these days as, i.e., the Cutting Edge 1/32nd Spey Phantom conversion, though. 

Cheers,

Andre