Iliushin IL4 (DB 3F) with wooden a bit arrow-like wings - any painting scheme for it?

JWM

Hi,

The late production of Iliushin DB3F has (similar to Il-2) wooden wings with a bit more sloped leading edges (sometimes colled "strielka" in Russian - for "arrow")

ilyushin_il_4-82325.jpg

To be compare with standard (metal) one:

ilyushin-il-4-bob.gif

I have not found any color profile showing this variant. The photos are also doubtful... Anybody has some photos/profiles for this variant?

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM

23 minutes ago, Pin said:

Was also discussed here:

Thank you for recalling this former discussion from 2019. I was searching for it on BM but I was not able to find (?-  for some reasons). I  just wanted to know is there any progress in this field...

However that one

image-11.jpg

looks like with regular metal wing: the trailing edge is straight on all its length.  Two others are indeed wooden wings, but looks like prototype photos (no any number)

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM

DB-3F never had a swept-wing.

Only two types of swept-wing aircraft are documented. The prototype Il-4 is in a single copy, the wing is plywood. And serial IL-4 of 44-45 years of release, but they have a metal wing. It is such an aircraft that has survived to this day and is exhibited in Moscow on Poklonnaya Hill. The existence of serial IL-4 with a swept wooden wing is currently in question.

The drawing above is complete nonsense, it cannot be used.

The prototype has a completely different wing from the serial, it has a different wingtip, a different aileron and flaps. 

The serial metal swept wing also differs from the strandart, despite the fact that it is geometrically identical to the strandart, only turned backward, structurally it has the following differences:

Another aileron, another location of hatches, different skin plating, different flaps. A swept-wing aircraft also has a different empennage.

Here is a small guide on how to distinguish a swept-wing aircraft from a straight-wing aircraft in the photo.

Different empennage: left normal wing, right swept wing.

avia111.jpg

Different aileron and flaps:  left normal wing, right swept wing.

avia112.jpg

This is a photos of the plane from Poklonnaya Hill:

IMG-0896.jpg

P1060020.jpg

Also, straight-wing and swept-wing aircrafts have a lot of small differences in details that require writing a book to describe.

Here are some historical photos of the serial IL-4 with a swept wing:

63600005.jpg

11-3356.jpg

11-3357.jpg

As for the color scheme, there is a completely official gray-gray scheme, the bottom is painted black.

spacer.png

Edited by DLinevitch
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Hi Psy, hi all, 

this update on late Il-4 is very interesting. 

Has a decent drawing of swept-back metal wing Il-2 ever been published?

The thing on the grey-grey camouflage on Il-4s is interesting too, but it would have to find a confirmation in photos. 

63600005.jpg

This one gives the idea of a two-shades camouflage, but the pattern doesn't resemble to the sketch.

So far, the grey-grey scheme of 1945 is confirmed on few types as ShCh-2 and Yer-2 (this one with the pattern of Pe-2) and probably Li-2s (with their own pattern), probably Po-2  while things are unclear for other types and only one known photo of Il-2 seems to match a two-shades pattern. 

So, some further research has to be done to confirm and maybe trace the real pattern of late Il-4 and other types. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Massimo Tessitori said:

Hi Psy, hi all, 

this update on late Il-4 is very interesting. 

Has a decent drawing of swept-back metal wing Il-2 ever been published?

Il2 - no

Il4 - no

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Massimo Tessitori said:

Interesting, is it a 3 D model for a kit?

Yes, it is Mars Models 1/72 injection molded plastic. I am the historical consultant for this project. The kit is designed using original factory documentation. And we have factory blueprints for the swept wing ;)

Edited by DLinevitch
  • Like 8

28 minutes ago, Massimo Tessitori said:

Excellent. No need for elaborations. Will the line of kits include earlier models too?

Massimo don't drive horses, at least the first set should be released.

• Like 1

T

4 hours ago, DLinevitch said:

Yes, it is Mars Models 1/72 injection molded plastic. I am the historical consultant for this project. The kit is designed using original factory documentation. And we have factory blueprints for the swept wing ;)

That is the news! So I will postpone my planes about doing Il-4 and converting another one into DB3 as well as on eventual conversion to swept wing one...

Regards

J-W

This is excellent news indeed! It's about time someone did a decent kit of the Il-4 - it was produced in substantial numbers and served throughout the Second World War (and before it (as the DB-3) and after it).

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, DLinevitch said:

Do have any opinion/knowledge on the 1/48th Xuntong DB-3/IL-4 kit? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Troy Smith said:

Do have any opinion/knowledge on the 1/48th Xuntong DB-3/IL-4 kit? 

I cannot answer in detail, because I saw the model only in the box and for a short time. But my wife did not allow me to buy a model for myself  :) She said something like that a person like me is not worthy to have such a model. By the way, she herself twice participated in the development of the IL-4 for two different flight simulators. In general, yes, we are not quite normal here on this basis, he he.

This model, as far as could be judged, was made according to the drawings of the soviet magazine Modelist-Konstruktor, authorship of Ivan Rodionov. Therefore, the model inherited the errors of these drawings, the most notable of which is the incorrect size of the engine nacelles, they are too small.  As far as I can judge from the photo of the castings, the model has indistinct forms of wingtips, fairings, keel, and elevators. They are exactly as if the developer was not sure what forms should be. The original has clear geometric shapes, i.e circles, ellipses, lines, curves.

I cannot publish the information about the correct forms now, because it would be detrimental to the project.

There is such a bald image, all the contours here are already final, you can get some idea

08.png

spacer.png

Edited by DLinevitch
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 7 months later...