Airfix - DC-10 Lufthansa

On 28/04/2021 at 13:18, Alex1978 said:

Nice result already.

Maybe you can add a picture of the nose area ?

Maybe me or some other fellow modellers could come up with a solution to this problem.

Alex

Thanks a lot for your help Alex! I’ve went yesterday to my dad’s and I’ve took a picture. I couldn’t extended forward the blue tripes in order to match because it would be missed in the back and I couldn’t pull them either because it wouldn’t match as well in the back. Because the elevators stay in the middle of the stripe. Maybe because of this the windows have a gap. But I couldn’t pull them forward 😅 

51147409212_423a3c271a_b.jpg

• Like 1

Ok...are the windows already printed to the blue stripe ?

If not,you my try to use a decal solvent,MicroSet or some sort, and try to remove the windows and put them in the correct location.

The gaps that will occur on the blue stripes can either be filled with leftover decal pieces or paint.

Revel blue 52 or 54 should be a good match for that blue as I can see on the picture.The stripe seems lighter toned than the original Lufthansa blue from that time.Otherwise Revell 350 should be correct.You might try.

Other question...did you place the blue stripes according to the models cabin windows or did you place them in the correct hight ? Airfix placed the cabin windows too low.

The cockpit windows,if you can rearrange them,could sit slightly higher then and so you can move them more forward to the radome so both front frames should meet.

The upper frame of the side windows should be levelled,i.e. form a straight line with the cabin windows.

The big side window should sit slightly higher than the lower frame of the cabin window.

Here a link to show what I mean.

https://www.planespotters.net/photo/681155/d-adgo-lufthansa-mcdonnell-douglas-dc-10-30

I hope this helps ?

Alex

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, the windows and the window framing are independent from the blue stripes. Im not sure now if I used decal fix in order to prevent the blue stripes got glued on my fingers but I will try to use a decal solvent and see what happens from there.

The gaps I will try to fill with paint because no decal left unfortunately. I saved your Revell color codes too. For the pictures I've based on to this project the ink I've painted on the fuselage looks okay but indeed in the decals the blue is way lighter. 

No. I've put the blue stripes above the original kit cabin windows because as you've said Alex they are way too low. I'll check the post you've shared and I'll try to give my best on it! Thanks once again! Let's see If it works!

• Like 1

You are welcome.

As you already placed the stripes in the correct hight,it should be an easy fix with the cockpit windows.

Use a flat brush to get the solvent on the decal and wait a bit for it to work.Then carefully try to get under the decal with the brush and also use solvent under the decal.Do so until the decal moves,then put it in the correct location,use a soft cloth to remove the solvent and carefully press the decal down.After drying,continue the rest of the build as planned.

I will check my spares if I have DC-10 cockpit windows and maybe blue decal stripes left.Possible that there are some.

If anything should go wrong with the decal relocation,send me your adress and I ship some spares to you.

Or you send Ray from 26 a mail about your problems.

He's very nice and helpfull.

I read in other WIPs here,that he sent some replacements if needed.

He also kindly offered me a free decal set for my 747SP build a while ago.

Good luck and dont worry,it will come out fine.

Alex

Edited by Alex1978
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

You are welcome.

As you already placed the stripes in the correct hight,it should be an easy fix with the cockpit windows.

Use a flat brush to get the solvent on the decal and wait a bit for it to work.Then carefully try to get under the decal with the brush and also use solvent under the decal.Do so until the decal moves,then put it in the correct location,use a soft cloth to remove the solvent and carefully press the decal down.After drying,continue the rest of the build as planned.

I will check my spares if I have DC-10 cockpit windows and maybe blue decal stripes left.Possible that there are some.

If anything should go wrong with the decal relocation,send me your adress and I ship some spares to you.

Or you send Ray from 26 a mail about your problems.

He's very nice and helpfull.

I read in other WIPs here,that he sent some replacements if needed.

He also kindly offered me a free decal set for my 747SP build a while ago.

Good luck and dont worry,it will come out fine.

Alex

Okay! Next time I'll went to my dad I'll try to do that and in the worst case scenario I'll have to remake the windows at hand. Thanks for your advices once again Alex, and you can talk to me on PM. For some reason some modelers are not receiving my messages on PM and vice versa. But in any case I think you have my email! 

Once again thanks for your help!