Airfix - DC-10 Lufthansa

For my 3rd project I had in my queue an Airfix DC-10, that I've bought for 15€. I went to check his information on scalemates and I've saw the version I've bought was from 2002 plus the skill level was 2, so I wasn't expecting that much from the kit itself, but I got surprised. For 19 years old the kit looks very good, with nice outlines and shapes in general. 

50999287256_fe2e318395_b.jpg

50999406282_7bbdaca6b4_b.jpg

In theory I only have 10 stapes to make, but we all know how the process in general can be long. While my other 2 747's were drying I've decided to start in baby steps this kit. So yesterday I sanded the windows already and also painted some parts of the engine 2. 

50999287281_c201f7b54f_b.jpg

I isolated the windows as much as I could with tape, to save the lines that I will use as reference for the painting process later on, and I must say I've nailed it. Despite having a little of putty between the windows, I've passed my finger through them and I didn't noticed any kind of changes in the surface so I left it in that way and the primer will tell me if I did something wrong or not. This kit brought 2 decal sheets for SAS and American Airlines. Despite I like both airlines very much I decided to make this one with the Lufthansa retro colors (I was thinking in the beginning to make with the Swissair chocolate livery but in the end I was loyal to the German crane.) 

50999288436_9b4d45873f_b.jpg

Once more I've order the decals from 26Decals, and I'm sure they will fit quite well in this model. This Lufthansa livery has some complicated curves in the belly in fact as it isn't fully silver with some light grey also on the wings section. I will continue this project with calm and time :)

• Like 5

• 4 weeks later...

Some progress already with the DC-10. The main frame is assembled and puttied already. Today was time to sand the remaining parts and I must confess that I'm impressed with the quality of the Airfix fit. Maybe tomorrow I will paint the main frame in white primary color to check the imperfections before stating to paint it with the definitive paint job. 

51071939111_38609ff917_b.jpg

When It comes to the engines the main ones (engine 1 and 3) are practically done. I've tried to design the spirals with a small brush and white color. In the end the result is not quite perfect but I hope to improve it later on. I don't know if it was just with my kit but the engines don't look very curved in the way they should be. I've been wondering if the engines are really like this way (thing that is for me hard to believe) or if there's a error. I believe more in the second option though. 

51072000586_ebe6bd9639_b.jpg

Edited by Diogo Monteiro
  • Like 3

37 minutes ago, Eric Mc said:

Although your box says 2002, the kit is quite a bit older. I think it was originally issued around 1980.

Really?! I've thought that actually but since I didn't had any kind of temporal reference, I've kept the 2002 mark. But thanks for the heads up anyways Eric! 

Yes, Eric's right.  It's pretty old, but captures the look pretty well, depending on the version you're building.  Some of the DC-10's had a "fluted" #2 nacelle that tapered in the center.  Anyway, great job on getting those intakes looking good!  I enjoyed all my flights on the DC-10, most of them with NorthWorst to / from Europe, or with World Airways further afield... (military airlift contract).

• Like 1

I have one awaiting me in my stash. Overseas National or Trans International will be my options as they were very common at Shannon in my plane spotting days.

My only flights in DC-10s were to and from Texas in 1981 on a pair of British Caledonian aircraft.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

Yes, Eric's right.  It's pretty old, but captures the look pretty well, depending on the version you're building.  Some of the DC-10's had a "fluted" #2 nacelle that tapered in the center.  Anyway, great job on getting those intakes looking good!  I enjoyed all my flights on the DC-10, most of them with NorthWorst to / from Europe, or with World Airways further afield... (military airlift contract).

It is old but it is really good! Some more recent Revell models have a terrible fitting! Thanks for your words! Hope I can make some upgrade today! 

3 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

I have one awaiting me in my stash. Overseas National or Trans International will be my options as they were very common at Shannon in my plane spotting days.

My only flights in DC-10s were to and from Texas in 1981 on a pair of British Caledonian aircraft.

I've didn't heard from this airlines before, I checked them and they actually have really nice liveries! Kinda like the blue aqua of Trans International! SNN is an airport with a lots of stories for sure! 

Wow...and a DC-10.Cant get any better.

Be aware of the "strakes" on both sides of the wing mounted engines.They are not included on the Airfix kit but can easily be made from plastic sheets.

Also the cabin windows sit bit too low on the kit.

Check photos of the original for proper decal placement later on.

NAZCA decal offers an extensive detail sheet,should you wish to further detail the DC-10.

The Airfix kit as well as the Revell counterpart are devoid of any surface detail on the fuselage,such as the air intakes left and right on the forward fuselage and APU at the back.

I remember my,unfortunately,only DC-10-30 flight back in 1995 from Zurich to Mombasa and back 2 weeks later.

On the return flight I was invited to the cockpit and sat there and talked to the crew for almost 2 hours.

An absolutely awesome experience.The DC-10 cockpit is very spacious.

Unforgetable flights in this classic airliner and also incredibly comfortable.

• Like 3

20 hours ago, Diogo Monteiro said:

I've didn't heard from this airlines before, I checked them and they actually have really nice liveries! Kinda like the blue aqua of Trans International! SNN is an airport with a lots of stories for sure! 

Shannon's position right on the edge of Europe has always meant it got interesting visitors. You get lots of unusual aircraft passing through, including lots of deliveries i.e. smaller aircraft moving from the US to customers in Europe or vise versa.

In the 1970s, many American charter flights staged through Shannon carrying American holiday makers doing "the European Tour". There was a whole raft of these airlines which were licensed in the US as "supplemental carriers". Many of them flew Douglas DC-8s (especially the stretched Super 60 versions). The airlines I remember are - 

Capitol International, Seaboard World, Trans International, Overseas National, World Airways and the Icelandic airline, Loftleider. ONA and TIA later purchased DC-10s. And Trans Intentional eventually changed their name to Transamerica.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Trans International

I flew on them from Germany in the late '70s, on a MAC contract flight.  As I recall it was a DC-8-62, but more likely was a DC-8-63 based on what I've read about their fleet.  I was an enthusiastic aviation buff as a kid.  Still am!

• Like 1

On 26/03/2021 at 21:11, Alex1978 said:

Wow...and a DC-10.Cant get any better.

Be aware of the "strakes" on both sides of the wing mounted engines.They are not included on the Airfix kit but can easily be made from plastic sheets.

Also the cabin windows sit bit too low on the kit.

Check photos of the original for proper decal placement later on.

NAZCA decal offers an extensive detail sheet,should you wish to further detail the DC-10.

The Airfix kit as well as the Revell counterpart are devoid of any surface detail on the fuselage,such as the air intakes left and right on the forward fuselage and APU at the back.

I remember my,unfortunately,only DC-10-30 flight back in 1995 from Zurich to Mombasa and back 2 weeks later.

On the return flight I was invited to the cockpit and sat there and talked to the crew for almost 2 hours.

An absolutely awesome experience.The DC-10 cockpit is very spacious.

Unforgetable flights in this classic airliner and also incredibly comfortable.

I like classics what can I say?! Hahaha :D 

Yeah I've realized that! I will try to make them through some old bank cards that I have at home! I didn't knew the window positions on the DC-10 Airfix were lower, compared with the original airplane, but I always had this habit to download to my iPad original pictures from different angles to have a more real perspective of the machine itself! I've bought decals from 26Decals and normally they are very extensive when it comes to details but thanks for the advice, maybe who knows I'll have to check NAZCA's work! 

And yeh, I've also noticed that! The fuselage is very smooth without much details but I prefer it on that way to be honest, there's less chance of bad detailing ! :D

I never had a chance to fly or see a DC-10, my dad flew in one with the SAS colors during the time DC-10 was very famous but not for the best reasons! 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Eric Mc said:

Shannon's position right on the edge of Europe has always meant it got interesting visitors. You get lots of unusual aircraft passing through, including lots of deliveries i.e. smaller aircraft moving from the US to customers in Europe or vise versa.

In the 1970s, many American charter flights staged through Shannon carrying American holiday makers doing "the European Tour". There was a whole raft of these airlines which were licensed in the US as "supplemental carriers". Many of them flew Douglas DC-8s (especially the stretched Super 60 versions). The airlines I remember are - 

Capitol International, Seaboard World, Trans International, Overseas National, World Airways and the Icelandic airline, Loftleider. ONA and TIA later purchased DC-10s. And Trans Intentional eventually changed their name to Transamerica.

Oh wow! I'm always learning! Didn't knew of that for real, thanks for sharing!! 

During my pilot course many questions regarding General Navigation are about Shannon airport actually. It eventually became a familiar airport for me because I had to plot it every single time in my map :D 

8 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I flew on them from Germany in the late '70s, on a MAC contract flight.  As I recall it was a DC-8-62, but more likely was a DC-8-63 based on what I've read about their fleet.  I was an enthusiastic aviation buff as a kid.  Still am!

I can share the enthusiasm with you! When I was a kid even during the kindergarten I didn't wanted to play soccer of other things. I just wanted airplanes. Well, some things don't change :D 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Diogo Monteiro said:

Oh wow! I'm always learning! Didn't knew of that for real, thanks for sharing!! 

During my pilot course many questions regarding General Navigation are about Shannon airport actually. It eventually became a familiar airport for me because I had to plot it every single time in my map :D 

Because of its location and its long runway, Shannon was on the list of possible abort landing grounds for the Space Shuttle if something went wrong during a launch. NASA had a list of airfields and runways on the western sides of Europe and Africa for Trans Atlantic aborts.  The runways listed for an abort varied for each mission depending on the orbital inclination of the mission. Also on the list was Macarahnnish in Scotland, Zaragossa Spain, Niort in France and Banjul in The Gambia.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I don't recall ever seeing a TIA DC-8 62.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Today was time to continue with the workflow on the DC-10 since the BA 747 is completed and the Swissair one had the 1st layer of varnish today.

When it comes to the the DC-10 I’ve did a bit of masking process today. I’ve isolated the belly and lower surfaces who received in majority silver. After the silver got dried, I’ve isolated and I’ve painted the light grey section. I’ll have to say it is difficult and I’ll have to mask again and re do some lines again. Since the light grey zone follows the wing shape and there’s no lines on the main fuselage to guide me through. Sometimes I wish I could had some geometry classes, because making everything symmetrical without reference lines is challenging in the minimum! 

Despite this, today I’ve also painted the wings and elevators. I didn’t took a picture but I removed with extreme caution the tape just for the silver wouldn’t come attached on it. Even with small movements and pressure some silver came attached but that’s an easy job with a brush to repair the missing silver. 
Hope I can finish this process soon because I cannot even wait for my favorite part: Decals 😋💪🏼

51097592262_bca302a2e3_b.jpg

• Like 4

Looking nice Diogo.

As for taping metallic areas;its better to paint and mask all other colours first,and then apply the metallics as the last step.

That way,the metallic paint wont need to be touched up.

Depending on which brand of metallic paint is used,most of them dont like masking tape.

My experience was that Revell metallics are the most forgiving and resistant when it comes to masking and as such,if different shades of metallics are needed,I use Revell metallics as a base coat.

Alex

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Alex1978 said:

Looking nice Diogo.

As for taping metallic areas;its better to paint and mask all other colours first,and then apply the metallics as the last step.

That way,the metallic paint wont need to be touched up.

Depending on which brand of metallic paint is used,most of them dont like masking tape.

My experience was that Revell metallics are the most forgiving and resistant when it comes to masking and as such,if different shades of metallics are needed,I use Revell metallics as a base coat.

Alex

Thanks Alex! 

Yeah, you are right, I've saw a couple weeks ago an YouTube video of a kid making a DC-10 with the same scheme as I'm doing at the moment. He made the same as you told me to. At the time I've forgot that and I just remembered that on the time I was painting with the airbrush already! But honestly I had lucky because today morning I've painted the white upper surface and when I removed the mask from the silver nothing came attached! It was a miracle :D 

Honestly the thing that concerns me more is that light grey stripe that I have to mask and paint. It may be easy but im having nightmares with that! 

When it comes to paints. I use acrylics by Vallejo. So far they did a great job! But of course, with silver and metallic we have to be very careful when removing the mask :D 

Maybe on Sunday I will paint the light grey belly and the tail with blue! 

• 3 weeks later...

It's been a while since my last update about my Lufthansa DC-10. After talking with some other modelers on Instagram about this DC-10 from Airfix in mid April, I've decided (yes, after painting) to sand everything again because I was warned about on this Airfix model the windows are way too low and while applying the blue Lufthansa stripe the stripe wouldn't be thick enough to cover the windows so I've sanded all from scratch and I've also removed the original engines pylons because I've read here on a topic that with the pylons in, the engines would be too close to the ground. 

51138606441_646d631c55_b.jpg

With the main fuselage even more sanded was time to reline and remask everything and leave the model in a better state than before. This whole process took me this entire week and I've kinda finished it after dinner now. There's only a blue imperfection that needs to be corrected and paint the front landing gear bay. But with no rushes. The real nightmare for me was definitely the after section of light grey. In this Lufthansa scheme the light grey section follows the mid belly shape but in the middle it goes after and it ends up in a straight way. I couldn't find lines to do that and when I've did the whole masking process was not symmetrical at all. I've asked help to my dad to help me with the symmetry and with some team work we could finish it. 

I will leave you with the today's job in an advanced stage. It looks gorgeous in my opinion already. Next step (who knows tomorrow or Tuesday) is to attach the wings and start with the first layer of varnish before the decal process!

51137923092_e626abfee9_b.jpg

51138599566_fa57d40449_b.jpg

51137923152_0349c1168a_b.jpg

• Like 5

Looks pretty sharp!  My only concern with it is in the shape of the windscreen, which appears sharply swept; but this may be an optical distortion.  If the angle of the windscreen is off, the cockpit windscreen decal also will be off.  You might try photocopying the decal of the windscreen, cutting it out, and fitting it to the model to see if there are any shape difficulties.

• Sad 1

Today was time for some more upgrades on the DC-10 and honestly I wish I could have seen @TheyJammedKenny! message before! I did most of the decal art today and I must confess I got surprised by how thick the decals were. I needed very much water to make the decals run on the fuselage, but despite that the decals by 26Decals were perfect with a very good detail, actually like they always are. 

The only problem that happened to me today (and I was a bit dumb for not have thinking about this at the time), but because of the bad positioning of the windows in the kit I had to paint the silver layer even more higher than the first attempt and during the sanding process I've lost all my references so during the process something went wrong. 

When I've put the blue stripes on the model everything worked just fine but when I've put the decals from the cockpit windows I've noticed a huge gap between the two decals right in the front windows. I even tried to move both the stripes to compensate this but I just couldn't and I didn't wanted at all to break or damage the decals. So I'll have to figure out how to hide this huge gap. Everything went just fine and this mistake had really to happen... Bad luck. I'm a bit sad because I'm very perfectionist with the things I do and having the model with a error like that one makes me very angry but I'll try not to remove the decals because that would be a self shot, but I'll try to fill it by painting them with a very soft brush. My pictures didn't caught the cockpit but I will let you with some shots about today's work. We are always learning here and sometimes we need to think outside the box. That's what I've learned from today :) 

51143881019_687ca36df2_b.jpg

51143104876_0377d400c3_b.jpg

51143321973_b240a48705_b.jpg

• Like 5

Nice result already.

Maybe you can add a picture of the nose area ?

Maybe me or some other fellow modellers could come up with a solution to this problem.

Alex

• Thanks 1