Not too little, but definitely too late!

72modeler

Stumbled over this footage earlier, and I thought it might be of interest to many of you. The end of the war saw some pretty hot prop fighters, but with the war winding down and the jets coming into their own, they weren't too little, but sadly they were too late. Interesting that three of the designs were based on the Thunderbolt: The XP-47H, the first hemi; the XP-47J, fastest U.S. prop fighter at 505mph; the XP-72, the P-51H and the lightweight XP-51F/J. Enjoy.

Mike

https://youtu.be/fgIz5N11TZ8

My personal wish would be for somebody to release an X-47J in either 1/72 or 1/48, although I am aware of vacform and resin conversion kits, as well as some very nice conversions and scratch builds on some of the modeling websites.   In the case of the XP-47J, that's pushing an R-2800 and Kartveli's design about as fast  as it could go! 

• Like 3

Hello, Mike

For what it is worth ... I think MPM used to produce XP-47 J in 1/48 along with some other exotic kits. However, this was during their vacuform period some thirty or so years ago, and despite additional injection parts and fair quality, this was no mainstream production. Cheers

Jure

12 hours ago, Jure Miljevic said:

MPM used to produce XP-47 J in 1/48

Jure, they also did an injected one in 1/72, which I have; it's one of their very early kits and is very crude, but workable; I have plans to mate the fuselage with either a Hasegawa or Tamiya kit at some point in time. I think maybe Koster also did a vacform in 1/48.

Mike