Wings Over Wairarapa 2021 - New Zealand's season opener

k5054nz

Hi all,

I recently won a double pass to Sunday February 28 at the Wings Over Wairarapa airshow, which was my first airshow 20 years ago. I asked the organisers whether a child could use an adult ticket and so I was able to take my 12yo nephew for his first airshow. 

Then they announced the USAF would send a B-52 from Guam for a flyover...on Saturday February 27. I asked and the organisers were kind enough to change our tickets to Saturday so we could witness the first ever BUFF visit to New Zealand. And just before it arrived the commentators said the B-52 had enough gas for three passes rather than the one we'd been told to expect.

We had a fantastic day and my nephew loved it, except it was HOT!

Unfortunately that evening new COVID cases were identified which meant changes to our alert level and cancellation of the Sunday airshow. Awful news as they'd put on an amazing display with record crowds and I've no doubt the second show day would have been as successful.

I was in two minds about posting photos on overseas forums for fear it might come off as boasting due to the pandemic's effect on the UK airshow scene, but given the positive responses I've had I thought the fine folks of Britmodeller would enjoy them.

Here are some photos! Feel free to ask if you have any questions.

DSC_1798c DSC_1799c DSC_1801c DSC_1802c DSC_1803c DSC_1804c DSC_1806c DSC_1810c DSC_1811c DSC_1821c DSC_1835c DSC_1827c DSC_1838c DSC_1845c DSC_1851c DSC_1867c DSC_1871c DSC_1880c DSC_1893c DSC_1897c DSC_1902c DSC_1903c DSC_1910c DSC_1936c DSC_1955c DSC_1958c DSC_1964c DSC_1967c DSC_1976c DSC_1998c DSC_1989c DSC_2016c DSC_2024c DSC_2035c DSC_2047c DSC_2049c

• Like 18
  • Thanks 4

What a great day out and fantastic to see the WW1 types in the air even if replicas?  Hope your nephew has been bitten by the aviation bug. Yes envious but only in the nicest way

Thanks for sharing

• Like 3

Thanks for these Zac, they are great!

My partner and I have been religiously going to the Omaka Classic Fighters show over the last decade or so and I have often wondered about Wings over Wairarapa as an alternative or addition to CF. (The usual problem is my job gets in the way, being very busy at this time of year.) I must admit your photos will give us something to discuss, as I'm sure her fondness for the WW1 era machines (in particular the Albatros fighters) and the 1930s 'Golden Age' types would be amply catered for!

Looking at the airfield map I'm guessing the crowd faces South towards the air displays? Always a good thing at an airshow to have the sun at your back all the time!

More photos please! :yes:

• Like 2

On 3/2/2021 at 11:14 PM, k5054nz said:

I was in two minds about posting photos on overseas forums for fear it might come off as boasting due to the pandemic's effect on the UK airshow scene, but given the positive responses I've had I thought the fine folks of Britmodeller would enjoy them.

Nah mate, we'll just live vicariously through your pics :) 

Awesome sight - those two Navy radial jobs, Trojans? Or something else?

• Like 1

On 3/3/2021 at 11:32 AM, JohnT said:

What a great day out and fantastic to see the WW1 types in the air even if replicas?

Mostly replicas but the Camel, F.2B and BE.2f are originals. TVAL has a couple of other airworthy originals stashed away.

6 hours ago, alt-92 said:

Awesome sight - those two Navy radial jobs, Trojans? Or something else?

Trojans! This was the first time the two (based at the same airport and owned by friends) had displayed together and it was a fantastic, very polished routine. We have a third example but unfortunately the weather en route precluded its attendance.

On 3/3/2021 at 11:39 AM, Gazontipede said:

My partner and I have been religiously going to the Omaka Classic Fighters show over the last decade or so and I have often wondered about Wings over Wairarapa as an alternative or addition to CF. (The usual problem is my job gets in the way, being very busy at this time of year.) I must admit your photos will give us something to discuss, as I'm sure her fondness for the WW1 era machines (in particular the Albatros fighters) and the 1930s 'Golden Age' types would be amply catered for!

Looking at the airfield map I'm guessing the crowd faces South towards the air displays? Always a good thing at an airshow to have the sun at your back all the time!

More photos please! :yes:

Omaka has long been my favourite - worth mentioning that, like Hood as you saw, the crowd faces away from the sun! Both shows have healthy WW1 and Golden Age contingents, but both have "exclusives" - TVAL has stopped taking their machines from Hood, and Omaka's Spitfire XIV and Flug Werk FW-190 stay put too.

• Like 2

Stunning looking show, Stunning venue and country. Envious but very happy that somewhere in the world is coming round and back to life.  I only wish I could have made it there. Maybe 2022.  

• Like 2

Hey Zac,

Cool Photos, thanks for sharing them with us.

Sounds like a great time was had

Your Photos of the RNZAF P3/C130 and 757 in formation, now has answered

a mystery for me, as they flew overhead here in Auckland last week, and I've been

scratching my head ever since trying to figure it out - Now I know :)

Thanks/regards

Alan

• Like 2

I have just gone a funny colour........................ not ill........ just green with envy.

Thanks for sharing a great day out. ....Why is the sky blue??  all we get is 50 shades of grey.................................and less exciting :P

Dick

Cheers

• Haha 3

Thanks all for the kind comments! If you'd like to see all my photos from the show (for better or worse) please visit my Flickr album here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmUwh8po

On 3/8/2021 at 2:25 AM, Mancunian airman said:

Have you an update on the WNW stall that was going to  be selling the kits they had ??

It seemed to be a stock clearance. Unfortunately for me - but fortunately for them - there were many paying customers eager to snap up kits so I decided against pestering the staff with questions when there was money to be made. Perhaps most tellingly the only model on display was a broken Camel blu-tacked onto a plain base.

50984942751_125a257fec_b.jpg 50984236803_8c38be673b_b.jpg 50984236763_c8a2b376c6_b.jpg 50984942696_1cc02312be_b.jpg 50985052507_30af98b99e_b.jpg 50985052472_310b64c74d_b.jpg 50984942701_9c609ba67e_b.jpg 50984236878_506c2e672d_b.jpg

The next big show here in New Zealand was set to be Classic Fighters Omaka at Easter, but this has been postponed to early September out of precaution regarding COVID-19. 

Edited by k5054nz
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Many thanks for the info Zac, that kinda confirms that WNW will not be back with their 0/400 or their Lancaster . . . :jabber:

I am just curious to know if they sold massive amounts with people realizing its the end of the line for WNW kits??

Ian

16 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I am just curious to know if they sold massive amounts with people realizing its the end of the line for WNW kits??

They were doing a pretty steady trade when I popped over and I expect those who were buying were familiar with the situation. Unfortunately the next day's show was cancelled due to a change in COVID-19 alert level - I wouldn't have been surprised if all stock was gone had the show gone on.

• Like 1