1/48 - de Havilland DH.112 Venom by MikroMir - released

Homebee

On 03/03/2021 at 16:12, Edge said:

OK I'll be the one to say it - I wish this was coming in 1/72!!!

Edge

Glad you said it, saves me doing so!

Personally, I'd buy one in 1/48th but LOADS in 1/72nd!

• Like 3

Superb news, this really does seem to be a good couple of years for British type releases. 

Really hope the all weather and night fighters will follow, but I'm sure Mikromir will be all over those aswel, especially from a sales point of view.

10 hours ago, rayprit said:

That thread was started in 2016 and 5 years later where are we?  That reminds me very much of the Classic Airframes Fairey Gannet AEW3........box art done, tooling started then it fizzled out, never to be due to company going bust........................this seems to be the same...........box art done - years ago and fizzled out........................somebody about that same time was doing a 1/48 Buccaneer, box art done, then that fizzled out........................I think we are grabbing at straws

Man, this is the post of the month.  So many "promised kits" that start out with great anticipation only to never be heard of again.  

But - unlike some of those other outfits, MikroMir does have a track record of delivering what they promise. If they can give us an AW-53, they can certainly deliver on a Venom!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm no expert on the subjects, but I can never understand why an enterprising model manufacturer can't modulate the build so that both Vampire/Venom Single/Twin seater to be built. Are the engine housings that different? if not, you would need 2 types of fuselage (single/Twin), plus nose shapes, two types of wing & 2 types of fins. The manufacturer could then mix & match parts to make virtually any sub-type of Vampire/Venom from a basic set of moulds!

The rear fuselage is different as the Venom engine (Ghost) was bigger and so you would still need new fuselages. Also the twin seat fuselages are a little more complicated between the Vampire T.11 and the Venom NF and Sea Venom, then there is the hook fairing on the Sea Venom and so it starts to get a bit complicated. 

A mix and match Venom might be possible, but you'd need two versions of the fuselage, three of the fin and rudder and possibly three of the wings (original, folding and possibly the powered aileron version of the FB.4 and NF.3, though I'm not sure how different that looks offhand). Add in three or four canopies (I'm not sure if there were two or three variations on two-seaters) and it can get a bit confusing.

Aeroclub did a range of multi-media Vampire and Venom kits 30-odd years ago.  I think that they gave the F. Mk. 1 a miss but for all other variants the wings, undercarriage, rear fuselage and drop tanks were common with separate front fuselage up to the front spar carry through to cater for single- and two-seat variants with separate booms, fins and tail planes.  Somewhere lurking I have the Venom NF. Mk. 2/3/Sea Venom kit which, if memory serves, follows a similar pattern.  As @Richard Humm pointed out there are plenty of variations to be covered, for example two different canopies on the Vampire T. Mk. 11, along with two types of fin and the early trainer canopy isn’t interchangeable with that of the early night fighters.

On 4/28/2021 at 5:31 AM, Richard Humm said:

A mix and match Venom might be possible, but you'd need two versions of the fuselage, three of the fin and rudder and possibly three of the wings (original, folding and possibly the powered aileron version of the FB.4 and NF.3, though I'm not sure how different that looks offhand). Add in three or four canopies (I'm not sure if there were two or three variations on two-seaters) and it can get a bit confusing.

Venoms and Vampires are two completely different airframes that share the same layout.

Fuselage pods are similar on the single seaters, wing booms engine and tail are different

NF Vampires and the NF.1 Venoms & FAW.20 Sea Venom had roughly the same pod but again different wings etc

Later Sea Venoms and RAF NF Venoms were entirely different again.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2021 at 4:07 AM, Adam Poultney said:

I prefer the two seater Vampire/Venoms. Sea Venom like this would be good

IMG_20200728_113536971~2

Who does this lovely belong to?

She desperatley need wing fold jury struts and I know a bloke

• Like 3

On 4/29/2021 at 8:00 AM, NAVY870 said:

Venoms and Vampires are two completely different airframes that share the same layout.

Fuselage pods are similar on the single seaters, wing booms engine and tail are different

NF Vampires and the NF.1 Venoms & FAW.20 Sea Venom had roughly the same pod but again different wings etc

Later Sea Venoms and RAF NF Venoms were entirely different again.

And then there’s the French built Aquilons, some of which had two seater bodies with single seater canopies!

Trevor

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Dennis_C said:

Was there any common part between Vampire Mk.I and say Sea Venom FAW.22?

As Mr Prosser in the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy famously said "None at all"

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, The wooksta V2.0 said:

Nose gear?

Looks like if someone decides to produce the whole series of Vampires/Venoms - nose gear should be on a separate sprue then. 

7 hours ago, NAVY870 said:

"None at all"

Would pilot be the same? I reckon some boxings would require two..  

• 1 year later...
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - de Havilland DH.112 Venom by MikroMir - 3D renders+test sprues
  • Homebee changed the title to 1/48 - de Havilland DH.112 Venom by MikroMir - 3D renders+ FB.4 test sprues
41 minutes ago, wellsprop said:

Looks like this will replaces the increasingly hard to find (and expensive) Classic Airframes kit - I may very well be tempted! 

What is the quality MikroMir decals usually like? 

The decals are fine. It's the rest of the kit you should worry about.

Several of their kits are in the wrong scale (as in they are advertised as being in 1/48 or 1/144 but are 1/50 and 1/150) have ludicrously complicated assembly for no reason, parts don't fit and instructions that are mere suggestions and guesswork.

If it was not for their subject choice (which is good, I must say) the company would be long gone.

Be aware, that when you embark on a Mikromir journey, you embark on a greek tragedy of errors.

The models are buildable, but holy moly.

Edited by SprueMan
  • Sad 2