Mark's Workbench: Uncle Sam's Finest! NAA P-51D Mustang

3 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Looking good, Sir.

Thanks for the link as well that's going to be handy.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks, Alistair, you're too kind!

It's a useful link and it's nice and clear which panel lines need filling, and which panels were lacquered and which were NMF. So it's ideal for my poor fevered mind :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

Mustang is coming along well, an enjoyable build, thanks for the tips n tricks Im learning a lot from this !

And yes i broke the control lever on my Zero too, makes me feel like a proper plane modeller now !    😆

Martin.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Farley said:

Mustang is coming along well, an enjoyable build, thanks for the tips n tricks Im learning a lot from this !

And yes i broke the control lever on my Zero too, makes me feel like a proper plane modeller now !    😆

Martin.

Thanks, Martin, that's very kind of you :) I suspect you might learn more from my builds about how to *not* do things ;) but seriously if you ever have any questions, just ask away! BM is an amazing community full of helpful, knowledgeable folk.

Airfix's control columns are a rite of passage or initiation ceremony, which you've passed with flying colours!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

The puttied panel lines on the wings have been sanded, although there are a couple of small areas left to do where I was afeared for the moulded detail - these bits will tackled with the cotton bud and Mr Thinner trick. There are also a couple of small bits that need a bit more Mr Dissolved Putty applied, and the sunken wingtip needs a bit more work, too. Here's where I'm to:

http://IMG-3577.jpg

http://IMG-3578.jpg

And I still need to paint the spar with YZC!

Happy Sunday evening, folks!

Mark

• Like 8

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

just grabbed five more of these from Amazon (need to wash my mouth out with soap!) for £2.42 each plus £4.99 postage! Link here - grab 'em while they're hot!

Cheers,

Mark

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, rob85 said:

Some cracking work going into this one mark and really paying off, looks excellent.

Rob

Thanks, Rob, that's very kind of you :) it's a really nice kit, and it repays a bit of care (probably more than I've put in :D ). Lots of really great schemes as well!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks, Rob, that's very kind of you :) it's a really nice kit, and it repays a bit of care (probably more than I've put in :D ). Lots of really great schemes as well!

Cheers,

Mark

I’m with you there I think I have three in the stash and far too many schemes to choose!

Rob

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, rob85 said:

I’m with you there I think I have three in the stash and far too many schemes to choose!

Rob

I'm waiting for Freightdog to re-release their Mustang Mk.IV conversion set as I want to do a couple of RAF aircraft as well!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

just grabbed five more of these from Amazon

You are more in need of help than I am. First Hurricanes now these.

They are really nice kits though looking forward to what you can do with them.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

You are more in need of help than I am. First Hurricanes now these.

They are really nice kits though looking forward to what you can do with them.

Cheers,

Alistair

Yep! :blink: Madness this way lies.....! Is now a good time to mention the extra Hurricanes I've got on order?

I think I should be seeking help :D

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

I've heard good things of Dr. Sydney Camm. Psy.D. MRCPUK but I've lost his phone number.

Cheers,

alistair

I'll see if I can find Dr Camm on the internet, but if you find his number in the meantime, can you let me know, please? ;)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I think you both need help. I could send my wife round for a chat if you like? She’s extremely good at curing excessive stash acquisition syndrome!

Craig. 

Thanks for the kind offer, Craig, I'll see how it goes - I wouldn't want Jane to be influenced in any way..... :D

Incidentally, the five 'stangs arrived yesterday - brilliant service. Come on, Freightdog, re-issue your Mk.IVA conversion set!

Cheers,

Mark 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

Come on, Freightdog, re-issue your Mk.IVA conversion

I maybe don’t want to ask this since I am, as you know, currently building a Mustang IV from the Airfix kit and was until recently happily oblivious of the need for any after market parts to do so but what parts does this conversion set provide?

Thanks,

Craig. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

I maybe don’t want to ask this since I am, as you know, currently building a Mustang IV from the Airfix kit and was until recently happily oblivious of the need for any after market parts to do so but what parts does this conversion set provide?

Thanks,

Craig. 

14 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The Mk.IVA requires an Aeroproducts propeller, being a P-51K.  I don't know whether the set offers other parts along with this.

Graham is absolutely right - the Mustang Mk.IVA is the equivalent of the P-51K.

The Freightdog set includes the Aeroproducts airscrew with uncuffed propeller blades, and replacement lower cowling with carburettor intake louvres moulded on. Link here.

I think the Mk.IV (P-51D) used the Hamilton Standard airscrew and is fine OOB, although I stand to be corrected!

Cheers,

Mark

I don't believe that the louvred intake (surely not for the carburettor, that's the one under the nose) was specific for the Mk.IVA, but it is a useful option to have for some P-51s.

I have an Airfix P-51D, and I think it looks fine.  The only criticism I've seen of it is the fragility of the undercarriage legs when detaching them from the runner.  There may be others possible , but definitely down in the less-significant levels.

• Like 1