Mark's Workbench: Uncle Sam's Finest! NAA P-51D Mustang

Hi everyone!

Inspired by @AliGauld's and @Dandie Dinmont's concurrent builds, and being a perpetual starter, I decided I'd have a go at one of my newly arrived Airfix P-51D Mustangs.

I remember, aged nine or ten, building the 1974 issue in the boxtop scheme "Cripes a' Mighty" at my dearly-departed Grandmother's flat one school summer holiday over forty years ago, and being incredibly proud of masking the blue nose (3M automotive masking tape blagged from my Dad :)). I've just found one of these same kits, which is allegedly "mint condition", which I'll add to my nascent nostalgia collection of kits that are for looking at but not building.

All this rose-tinted reminiscing means that this build is a sort-of nostalgia build in itself. Although I can't imagine Nanny Sellick, or indeed my parents, being too impressed if this had been my choice of subject back then (although I'm sure Dad would have smiled!):

http://IMG-3366.jpg

Fnaar, fnaar! :giggle:

The intention is to build the second version of "Passion Wagon", but that does depend on how well my attempt at NMF turns out - if its dire, then it'll be back to Olive Drab and Neutral Grey.

Obligatory box and sprue shot:

http://IMG-3343.jpg

So the upshot of all this silliness is yet another build to go with all the others. When will I ever learn? (Who said, "never"? Own up!)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 10

18 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

Nice one Mark,

Looking forward to this.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair!

Glad to have you along! I'm just hoping I can make a decent job of the NMF!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Thanks Alistair!

Glad to have you along! I'm just hoping I can make a decent job of the NMF!

Cheers,

Mark

Funny I'm thinking much the same about my own one. 

For thinking read stressing. :frantic:

But you know what if the brown stuff hits the air conditioning and it all goes horribly wrong, at least I'll have learned something.

Cheers,

Alistair

• Haha 2

This looks great! I have the same boxing but for some reason it came with the decal sheet from the first release of the kit. I assume this makes my copy of the kit immensely valuable in the way that stamps with minor errors are worth colossal amounts. 

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing how both of you gentlemen tackle the NMF. In my youth I tried to replicate this sort of finish on a Matchbox P51 with the aid of tin foil and Copydex. The results were...sticky and I don't think I've attempted another since. There's a reason the Mustang I'm working on at the moment is camouflaged.  I trust you will show me how it should be done!

Craig.

• Like 2

Hi Mark,

I made this last year, one of the nicest, most enjoyable kits I’ve made in ages!

Looks like Airfix have sorted out the wonky u/c legs that plagued the earlier boxing. The other thing to watch out for is some of the smaller parts (legs and control column) are very prone to breaking when cutting them off the sprue, but maybe they’ve cured that as well.

Best of luck with the build and the NMF!

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Johnson said:

The other thing to watch out for is some of the smaller parts (legs and control column) are very prone to breaking when cutting them off the sprue

That's just reminded me. When I built this kit for my nephew some time in 2019 I did break the joystick clipping it off.

This time I used my razor saw and it came off in one piece. 

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AliGauld said:

Funny I'm thinking much the same about my own one. 

For thinking read stressing. :frantic:

But you know what if the brown stuff hits the air conditioning and it all goes horribly wrong, at least I'll have learned something.

Cheers,

Alistair

Yep! Agree with you completely! NMF is uncharted territory for me, so goodness knows what will happen!

But at least there's the back up plan!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

This looks great! I have the same boxing but for some reason it came with the decal sheet from the first release of the kit. I assume this makes my copy of the kit immensely valuable in the way that stamps with minor errors are worth colossal amounts

I think we're talking Penny Black territory here - I reckon it needs to be hermetically sealed as it'll be worth a fortune in a few years' time ;)

Anyway, I am looking forward to seeing how both of you gentlemen tackle the NMF. In my youth I tried to replicate this sort of finish on a Matchbox P51 with the aid of tin foil and Copydex. The results were...sticky and I don't think I've attempted another since. There's a reason the Mustang I'm working on at the moment is camouflaged.  I trust you will show me how it should be done!

I can't speak for Alistair - in fact, I'm hoping he'll show me how it should be done. The last time I tried an NMF finish was forty-odd years ago: Airfix's own brand enamels and a hairy stick that had seen better days :D

I'd like to try foiling - check out @Old Man' Curtiss YP-37 build (my all-time favourite piston aircraft!) for a masterclass of foiling.

As for this build, I've a sneaking suspicion I'm going to need the OD/NG.....:)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Hi Mark,

I made this last year, one of the nicest, most enjoyable kits I’ve made in ages!

Looks like Airfix have sorted out the wonky u/c legs that plagued the earlier boxing. The other thing to watch out for is some of the smaller parts (legs and control column) are very prone to breaking when cutting them off the sprue, but maybe they’ve cured that as well.

Best of luck with the build and the NMF!

Cheers,

Hi,

That's good to know! It has the look of a nice kit, and that's always a bonus!

I'm really quite nervous of the NMF, so we'll just have to see how it goes when the time comes.

I'm hoping the undercarriage legs are alright.....I had high hopes of the control column, but alas it ended up in two pieces! I'll post an update tomorrow :)

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

That's just reminded me. When I built this kit for my nephew some time in 2019 I did break the joystick clipping it off.

This time I used my razor saw and it came off in one piece. 

Cheers,

Alistair

That's a good plan..... I'll have to try that next time!

• Like 1

8 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

As for this build, I've a sneaking suspicion I'm going to need the OD/NG....

In my opinion (and I realise this may be heresy for some) Mustangs look better in OD anyway. I also think the B/C is better looking than the D, especially with a Malcolm hood.  I’ll get my coat...

Craig. 

Edited by Dandie Dinmont
Added more heresy
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dandie Dinmont said:

In my opinion (and I realise this may be heresy for some) Mustangs look better in OD anyway. I also think the B/C is better looking than the D, especially with a Malcolm hood.  I’ll get my coat...

Craig. 

No need to get your coat, Craig :) youre in good company - I agree that the B/C is a nicer looking aircraft, especially in RAF markings and with the Malcolm hood. I'm looking forward to the Arma release.....

But if I'm completely honest, my favourite Mustang would be the A, in RAF Temperate Land Scheme.

We heretics need to stick together!

• Haha 2

27 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I'm looking forward to the Arms release.....

I'm always on the lookout for another Mustang. A quick Google didn't reveal anything, is this a new kit on the way? 1/72?

Cheers,

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Johnson said:

I'm always on the lookout for another Mustang. A quick Google didn't reveal anything, is this a new kit on the way? 1/72?

Cheers,

Hi Charlie,

yes, its 1/72, and I think its supposed to be due later this year 🤞 Their website shows the CAD renderings here, but it's not much more than a teaser, to be honest. There was an announcement on their faceache page a while ago, and there's a thread in the Rumourmonger as well. It looks really good, and if it's anything like their Hurricanes, it'll be a winner.

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Being ever the optimist, and knowing that it had a reputation for snapping into myriad pieces just by being looked at, I resolved that I would be the first person ever to detach the control column from its sprue IN ONE PIECE. Oh, the arrogance! Oh, the pride! Oh, the folly!

It started well enough:

http://IMG-3346.jpg

Suitably emboldened and wondering what all the fuss was about, I proceeded to detach the column from its two gates. Et voila!

http://IMG-3347.jpg

Serves. Me. Right. But I ought to earn a couple of brownie points for admitting to my folly, surely?

After that, I detached the fuselage halves and the wing sections from their sprues, sprayed their insides with a coat of Vallejo gloss black primer, and once dry masked up for the interior colours. Why go to the trouble? To be honest, I just felt like it! Its way OTT for the interior, but sometimes the fever just grips me.....

Thanks for stopping by :) there'll doubtless be more of this drivel soon.....

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

34 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Serves. Me. Right. But I ought to earn a couple of brownie points for admitting to my folly, surely?

I only laugh because that's exactly what I did! Hope the u/c legs go better!

54 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

yes, its 1/72, and I think its supposed to be due later this year 🤞 Their website shows the CAD renderings here, but it's not much more than a teaser, to be honest. There was an announcement on their faceache page a while ago, and there's a thread in the Rumourmonger as well. It looks really good, and if it's anything like their Hurricanes, it'll be a winner.

Thanks! The 3D renders look amazing.

Cheers,

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I would like to point out that I succeeded in both detaching the joystick and cleaning it up. It wasn't until I tried installing in it the cockpit that it shattered into a million (*) bits. You can't see it once the fuselage is closed up anyway, honest.

Craig.
(*) Ok, two bits.

Edited by Dandie Dinmont
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

Oooooh! Now THAT I like!!! Are the markings from an aftermarket set?

Thank you. National markings were an aftermarket sheet, numbers from the decal box and the stripes were painted on and edged with a sharpie.

Edited by Marklo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

I only laugh because that's exactly what I did! Hope the u/c legs go better!

To be fair, I laughed as well when it went *ping!* I've got high hopes for the undercarriage..... ;) 

The Arma Hobby renders do look good, don't they? I keep checking back to see if they're taking pre-orders!

• Like 2

I would like to point out that I succeeded in both detaching the joystick and cleaning it up. It wasn't until I tried installing in it the cockpit that it shattered into a million (*) bits. You can't see it once the fuselage is closed up anyway, honest.

Craig.
(*) Ok, two bits.

Craig, I think that means you take the crown for getting nearest! Brilliant work :) I've fixed the stump to the cockpit floor, and managed to glue the top half back on - I think it might even be the right way around!

Cheers,

Mark

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1