New Scandinavian Colours (2019)

Im certain I'll get shot down at some point for missing a post elsewhere.... BUT:

Id like to start a project, Zvezda 737-700 wearing new SAS markings from LN Decals

I know the blue remains the same, but does anyone know what colour might come close to their new "fresher" grey fuselage colour - its almost got a silvery tone to it

I used a screenshot of a promo photo from their website to find that the grey is:    #f8f8f9 in HEX but i don't know if that's of any use

Hoping someone can help a complete novice to the hobby

Thanks in advance

Hi mate

I'm planning to do an A320neo in SAS new livery and have exactly the same question.

I've found the SAS new brand designer's website (Bold design) https://www.boldscandinavia.com/work/sas-livery/ and if you view their video it shows the fuselage colour as a 'fresher' light grey colour code G15295. However, this is simply a paint code for the manufacturer Azko Nobel where they also refer to this colour as BAC71115.

None of this appears to be of any great help, so I've decided  I'm going to mix my own version of the new light grey until it looks about right.

I'd still be grateful if you could keep us updated on your search if you manage to get any better info on the exact colour.

Cheers

Tim

Hi Bjorn, thanks for the Zvezda information - its a great help. I think that their recommendation of Tamiya XF80 Royal Light Grey for the SAS light grey will be a shade too dark. Personally I think I'll add a touch of white to XF80 to get nearer to the new light grey. 

Thanks again - cheers, Tim

Skodadriver's first law of airliner modelling: Kit painting instructions are always wrong.

I'm with @Timo - mix your own paint after studying lots of photographs of the real thing in as many different weather/lighting conditions as possible.

To answer your last question, you can always "gloss up" a flat finish. Gloss varnish is a whole subject in itself and you should always be alert to the danger of it changing (usually darkening) the colour of the paint. Many of us use "Klear", sometimes called "Future" which is actually a floor polish but works well as a gloss varnish. 

If you are trying a new technique or a new material for the first time it's always a good idea to experiment on a scrap model before tacking your masterpiece.

Dave G

• Like 1