1/43 Chaparral 2D, Nurburgring 1966

This is my completed model of the Chaparral 2D which was driven by Phil Hill and Jo Bonnier to first place in the 1000km race at the Nurburgring in 1966, the Chaparral team's first visit to Europe.

spacer.png

It is based on the Provence Moulage kit, with lots of detail parts from the metal Marsh Models kit.

The PM kit is nicely cast in resin and is supposed to represent the 2D as it appeared at the 'ring and at Le Mans.  It most closely resembles the Le Mans configuration, so I back dated it to correctly portray the earlier 'ring car.  This involved blanking off the nose mounted light apertures, changing the vent/mirror housing above the driver's position, and modifying the tail spoiler to the much bigger 'ring arrangement.  

spacer.png

The windows on each side of the engine compartment were incorrect in shape, so I modified the shape and vac-formed new windows.  The PM airbox was too long, too tall and too narrow so I used the Marsh part instead.  The rear window opening was moved rearwards a small amount to its correct position.

spacer.png

Above are the templates for the new side windows, and the Milliput masters for the new vac-formed windows.

I modified the chassis plate by removing the blob of resin that represented the engine and substituted the metal parts from the Marsh kit.  I cut the top off the incorrect solid bulkhead, made a roll hoop from plastic rod and installed a window of 10thou clear sheet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The completed, modified, chassis plate, with full engine detail, etc.

spacer.png

Body painted, with windows installed, ready for decals.

spacer.png

spacer.png

The wheels and tyres are also from the Marsh kit, as are the tail lights and mirrors.  The Dzus fasteners are by Renaissance.

Humbrol enamels  throughout.  The race numbers are from the PM kit, the Chaparral badges are from a Microsport sheet, the license plate decal is by Patto, with Marsh decals for the tyre sidewalls.

Quite chuffed with this one!

Thanks for looking, Trevor

• Like 17
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, keefr22 said:

Have to say I was surprised to see you say the finish is Humbrol - really nice job!

Cheers Keith.  I've used Humbrol enamels for more years than I care to remember.  Familiarity with them helps a lot.  However, I also use, to a lesser extent, Revell and Xtracolor enamels.  I stick with what works for me and have not been tempted to try acrylics, or whatever.

Trevor

• Like 1

Just now, Bengalensis said:

Lovely work as usual! I always get a nice warm felling seeing well built 1/43 kits like yours.

You are too kind! ☺️

Trevor

37 minutes ago, Toftdale said:

Great job 👏,  it always amazes me how much detail you can get into this tiny models. 

Thanks very much.

Trevor

3 hours ago, Kitkent said:

Fantastic work Trevor! So now you have a decent engine that can be seen through the rear window. The PM car seems a bit off compared to the Marsh kit then?  Chris.

Thanks Chris.  With so much in the way of windows at the back I felt that the very simplistic PM representation of the engine wasn't good enough, hence the Marsh engine, exhaust, etc.

Trevor

2 hours ago, Nick Belbin said:

That’s terrific work again, difficult to believe it’s such a relatively small scale.

Nearly forgot; what do you use for vac-forming?

Nick

Cheers Nick.  I use a vintage Mattel vac-forming machine which was upgraded with some better parts from the wonderfully named loteckengineering on eBay.  It's fine for windows, windshields, headlight covers, small body parts, etc.

Trevor

Thanks very much.  This is one of my favourite endurance racers.  With the big airbox it looked so different from the Ferraris and Fords of the sixties.

Trevor

Stunning build Trevor. Never having done a 1/43 scale build until recently, I have a newfound respect for builds like this since now I know how small these cars actually are. Well done, it's perfect.

Oh yes, a Chaparral. I have the book on them, what a ride Jim took. I've only build the Le Mans Miniatures 24th scale 2F, my favourite. I like what you are doing here. I'll sit and watch if I may?

Colin

2 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Oh yes, a Chaparral. I have the book on them, what a ride Jim took. I've only build the Le Mans Miniatures 24th scale 2F, my favourite. I like what you are doing here. I'll sit and watch if I may?

Colin

Thanks very much.  My 1/43 Chaparral 2F is nearing completion - just waiting for the temperature to rise and the humidity to drop so that I can get the paint applied.

Trevor

17 hours ago, klubman01 said:

Thanks very much.  My 1/43 Chaparral 2F is nearing completion - just waiting for the temperature to rise and the humidity to drop so that I can get the paint applied.

Trevor

Hi Trevor, I don't know if you have seen or read the Chaparral history by Richard Falconer with Doug Nye? Magnificent work. If memory serves me Jim Hall only ever had three chassis, he altered then to suit the next mark/version. The achilles heel was the auto gearbox.

I used to collect 1/43rds and had a grandiose idea to model the Le Mans grid each year. Between Starter and PM they covered most if not all the cars in the 80's. Then I did the sums...

Colin

42 minutes ago, heloman1 said:

Hi Trevor, I don't know if you have seen or read the Chaparral history by Richard Falconer with Doug Nye? Magnificent work. If memory serves me Jim Hall only ever had three chassis, he altered then to suit the next mark/version. The achilles heel was the auto gearbox.

Yes, I'm aware of the Falconer book, but have not seen or read it.  On line prices are really high, but I keep my eyes open for a copy at a reasonable price.  I do have a very good book on the cars by Dave Friedman.  Lots of really great photos, and plenty of supporting quotes and comments from people linked to the team.

The 2D and 2F were "evolutions" of the original fibreglass chassis that raced as the Chaparral 2.  The 2C had an aluminium chassis and evolved into the 2E and then the 2G.  The 2H and 2K were totally different machines.  

Trevor

Another wee beauty Trevor, I love the cars of this period, it always seems like there were a bunch of car mad engineers just tinkering around with stuff, trying new things, a far cry from modern motorsports, I suppose the rules, safety standards and costs don't leave much room for this type of thing anymore.

Cheers - Rab.

Thanks Rab.

I agree, these cars were visually more interesting, the designers working within rules and regulations that were a lot freer than today.  It allowed them to come up with radical ideas, some of which worked, and some that didn't.  Jim Hall was an innovative engineer, which is why I really love the Chaparral Can-Am and Sports Prototype racers so much.

Trevor

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Malc2 said:

Why didn't you use the Marsh Models body?

The Marsh body (upper, in the image below) looked too short and stubby at the front compared to the PM body, and to various scale drawings I had.

spacer.png

You can also see the PM airbox is narrower and longer than the Marsh item, hence the substitution.

Trevor

• Like 1

Interesting, thanks for the reply!

Chaparral were a great and innovative team as you say, I look forward to seeing your 2F.

I am surprised you don't see them in larger scales and from more mainstream manufacturers.

I restored the old 2E Union kit for a friend some years ago.

M.