Junglie Wessex V, 845 Sqn HERMES, Cyprus 1974

Finished my first March build !

This very quick refurb of an older kit literally occurred to me on Sunday night, with most work done yesterday.  It's a Matchbox Wessex, originally built by me in early 1988 when this kit first appeared.  

It's had a general spruce-up and repair, repaint of some inaccurate areas (like the blades, pilot, exhausts), wire aerials added and a new set of decals for an aircraft from HMS HERMES in 1974, evacuating British Nationals from the war-torn beaches of Kyrenia in Northern Cyprus.  A fast but well worthwhile restoration of this old kit!

DSC_5877.JPG

(My HERMES deck backgound reappears for the first time in years)

DSC_5857.JPG

DSC_5858.JPG

DSC_5864.JPG

DSC_5868.JPG

DSC_5872.JPG

... and a "before picture:

P4120160.JPG

• Like 41

My dad’s brother’s  family was evacuated from the town of Karavas in this chopper, in July 1974. He gained his US citizenship in the sixties in the US and had recently moved back to Cyprus. He lost everything including a brand new beach front home.  He was evacuated at a US “Weather station” without credentials however an “employee” at the weather station approved him from evacuation. My uncle had lived in the hills for several days prior to the departure.  He recalled a few encounters with Turkish F-100’s along the way.  Thank you for posting.

Edited by 28ZComeback
  • Like 8

What a superb refurb, it looks really nice....... a proper Junglie!!

Cheers

Tony 

Edited by tonyot

Great work.

I feel like I know this model very well, having spent many years gazing at it in admiration and wonder on google images. This one and your HAS1 inspired me to buy several, butcher at least two of the matchbox variants, hide them away in the box of shame, buy probably a dozen or more Italeri versions. Become too afraid to tackle one. 

It even inspired me to begin work on writing a Wessex book. I figured we are way short of Wessex reading out there.

Your very model, pre restoration, was an inspiration. she looks very fine indeed since the make over.

I feel a trip to the model stash is looming. Just when I thought I'd got that darn Wessex thing out of my system!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Smudge said:

I'm probably the only one that preferred it as a 'Rusty B' cab :)

I have an Italeri one stashed away to do as a BULWARK cab, probably in sand and spinach, as per the original Matchbox scheme.  :)

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, gengriz said:

...................... to do as a BULWARK cab, probably in sand and spinach, as per the original Matchbox scheme.  :)

In that case, all is forgiven :D

A very smart scheme.

It has been pointed out that my tail rotor is fitted back to front.  It broke off some time ago (think mid 1990s) and I clearly stuck it back on the wrong way. 

So;  I have done some quick rework (and repositioned it to be less vulnerable to knocks) !  

DSC_5971.JPG

DSC_5967.JPG

DSC_5965.JPG

Edited by gengriz
  • Like 1