Its the bottom of the ninth , scores are tied -- ** TopGun graduated **

That's really strange that a 1/48 kit will make the whole flap/upper wing/spoiler part a single piece. That isn't even common in 1/72, and it's pretty easy to drop the flaps in, say, a Fujimi A-4.

I guess they really expected people to pose it in flight. I'm surprised it didn't come with a stand.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, spejic said:

That's really strange that a 1/48 kit will make the whole flap/upper wing/spoiler part a single piece. That isn't even common in 1/72, and it's pretty easy to drop the flaps in, say, a Fujimi A-4.

I guess they really expected people to pose it in flight. I'm surprised it didn't come with a stand.

Agreed - but then they would have to add a pilot !! - not sure they made a UAV version  :) :)

• Haha 1

Last night , more coffee , more cutting and plasticard playtime , and I have ended up with this.

There was an option to display with the raised spoiler

OhUifAv.jpg

But I have gone with the 'normal' parked look , flaps drooped only  spoiler in the closed position 

m5AE8gX.jpg

ending here 

N0fHVbZ.jpg

E2qkHbD.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 3

At the front of the wing I have added some plasticard to strengthen the joins for the new leading edge , I will be using 0.25mm plasticard here to make the curve easier , rather than the 0.8mm I am using on the spoilers and flaps. 

I plan to add the wingtip lights navigation lights as well , since these are not even marked on the kit !

9hUypSv.jpg

• Like 5

That is great work.

I think you made the right decision to go with the normal setting for the flaps, not very often you see the top set deployed when the aircraft is parked. 

I like the structure you have made for the slats, very professional and it should give good support too. 

• Thanks 1

Work continues at an amazing pace !! 

Slat area rebuilt , and wing section attached to fuselage, gun ports filled in (none on the agressors)-- its starting to look like a Skyhawk :)  , After creating the hinge rods from plasticard for the front slats probably not 100% accurate but will look ok (sometimes I wish I had a resin 3D printer as well as the FDM one) .  The next most obvious omission on the HB kit is the lack of clear parts, the anti collision lights and wing landing lights are nowhere to be seen .. not even a 'panel line'  to guide . I have marked in pencil where I will  cut/sand out some recesses and make some lenses with Kristal Klear , back paint with silver , then use clear green and red where appropriate.  

3mq2Q7O.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 3

2 Updates in 1 day ( thats what happens when you have a sports injury - no cutting grass / painting decking / gardening  ! ) 

I have created the recesses for the light lenses  on the wings , fitted he next parts of the engine intakes and made the slats connecting rods to the wings - test fitted as they will be removed for painting 

sxz5OxT.jpg

yeNGdmI.jpg 

• Like 2

Not much of an update this week , Canopy dipped in Klear/Pledge , PE fitted to Canopy , painted and then attached to aircraft (DOH!! who forgot to take photo's ), 1st coat of Mr Surfacer 1500 applied to top and bottom and I have started on the smaller bits 

zZuRrVj.jpg

GJgQIlE.jpg

Jwpm2Fk.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

SO nearly a month goes by and I have rewired the garage added some inline smart controllers - locally controlled home automation (I do not want China knowing when I turn on a light / 3D printer etc ) , repainted the decking and done hardly any modelling !!! 

But some progress has been made (in between the RL jobs lots of procrastination on colours, as usual! ) 

Got everything dusty playing with the flaps 

U89uYEH.jpg

Then sprayed some home mixed tan

ej6jY6b.jpg

4fErnHN.jpg

Finally at lunchtime today another homebrew colour (definitely lighter in natural light ) 

3aPvJQb.jpg

• Like 5

Great to see this one back on the go, and coming along really nicely too.

Your home mixed tan looks very good to my eyes and the brown looks good too and they both look to have gone on very smoothly, I know that you have mixed the colours yourself but could you let us know which brand of paints you have used.

• Thanks 1

@modelling minion  I am currently using  Mr Hobby Aqueous Acrylics mixed with their Self Levelling Thinner approx 40:60 , and airbrushed at 20psi using an H&S Infinity with 0.4 mm needle

As to the actual mixes I have no idea of proportions - I used what paints I had on the shelf e.g. Flesh , Sail Colour, White , Radome  ,  Red Brown, Kakhi Drill etc (lived up north too long , hate wasting paints :P )

• Like 1

In the current trend of covering Skyhawks with tape and tack  - here is my entry 

rBYvUvB.jpg?1

QD9vrKG.jpg?1

6 hours later ..... 'Good morning Gentlemen , the temperature is 110 degrees '   to quote Wolfman  'Holy S**t  its Viper' :)

e5K1HVZ.jpg?1

0Q5FXUa.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 5

Impressive result!

Time consuming, no doubt, but really worth it!

JR

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, basket said:

Masking is not the most rewarding task while you're doing it and sometimes when you're checking the results . But in your case , the result looks pretty good !!! 

Yes masking can be really frustrating , I have had my fair share of disasters ! but sometimes they come out really nicely - this one was scary and took hours (though not as many as my F-35) but was rewarded with a great finish

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...