Its the bottom of the ninth , scores are tied -- ** TopGun graduated **

For my 1st GB of the year I will be building the HobbyBoss 1/48 A-4E .. and yes someone has to build a TopGun themed Skyhawk (it is to join the TigerMig I am also building)  ... being crafty with the title I have left myself with the option of either the desert camo style or the 2 tone grey aircraft :)  

The build will be OOB , though I plan to make the flaps and slats droopy  , Eduard PE cockpit and homemade decals , painted with Mr Hobby and Tamiya acrylics. 

The Box and Sprue shots 

dolbEtH.jpg

pD0yVVE.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 7

Welcome to the GB, and with our first HobbyBoss kit too.

I think the kit is a pretty good representation of the Skyhawk though why they chose to mould the slats up is a complete mystery so like many others I am interested to see how you tackle them.

Nice Top Gun reference in the title, I am actually surprised that we haven't had more Adversary A-4's in the GB so far, maybe people thought they would be too common but it turns out that Brazil is the top operator for modelling so far.

Looking forward to this one.

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2021 at 2:55 AM, RJ-WobblyHands said:

The build will be OOB , though I plan to make the flaps and slats droopy

It isn't the hardest project to cut the slats and make a new well, but it won't be too bad if you decide to save the time and leave them up either. I was looking through one of my references, and aggressor A-4F's were often parked with their slats up. They had some kind of locking mechanism on them to keep them that way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, spejic said:

It isn't the hardest project to cut the slats and make a new well, but it won't be too bad if you decide to save the time and leave them up either. I was looking through one of my references, and aggressor A-4F's were often parked with their slats up. They had some kind of locking mechanism on them to keep them that way.

That's really useful to know, I thought it was only the Blue Angel's that had them shut when parked. 

Plastic has been cut and attacked with a file and sanding sticks! 

Cockpit time & seat time , therefore its PE fun ! , The basic kit cockpit and seat are very uninspiring so A little PE to dress everything up.

Before :

A7O6JId.jpg

waafeNX.jpg

After: 

EeDFwBi.jpg

Floor and back glues with IP ,all cleaned ready for painting before adding the coloured PE.

kMfVol9.jpg

started adding PE to seat 

unHVOBo.jpg

Its time to stop and have my birthday curry and beer with my wife.. painting starts tomorrow :) 

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

Its time to stop and have my birthday curry and beer with my wife

A very happy birthday to you sir, I hope that you got some extra plastic and that you and your wife enjoy the curry and beer.

Nice start on your Skyhawk too, I am sure the PE will make a difference to the cockpit tub. Mind you if you think that one is sparse you should see a Hobbycraft one!

• Thanks 1

A little work has been done on the cockpit areas ,  everything painted Dark Gull Gray , PE attached, a little weathering on the cockpit sides,

YKawS0U.jpg

q0XbonA.jpg

rhSZhTA.jpg

and a dry fit into the fuselage (note to-self remember the engine intake!!!   , Next steps more weathering and work on the seat 

xqm3W2n.jpg

QFI3IUn.jpg

• Like 6

Have been playing with the seat this week , seatbelts are tape and painted wire for the ejection pull handles  I am quite happy how it has come out, I will give it a coat of clear Satin/Matt and then have another look if it needs any more dirtying.

Next up join the fuselage and then onto 'how to make slats , flaps droopy - I have  couple of ideas more soon

nEKNqua.jpg

bPdjXkS.jpg

jjQNVdj.jpg

• Like 2

Today the fuselage has been joined together ... I did remember to add some weight to the nose and the engine intake :) 

The Top Gun Adversary does not have a hump so a bit of sanding to get a nice top seam ... it also does not have the chin pod - so that is the next item to remove  (should have done before zipping the halves together ! ! ) 

Dry fit onto the one piece lower wing section.

HXJJjrV.jpg

KAe6dXV.jpg

JjISReK.jpg

So onto the droopy bits 

The slats are easily identifiable on the wing top section from some nice panel lines, test taping with tamiya tape - but before I get a razor saw anywhere near I will replace with Dymo Tape that will give a stiff enough edge to cut against. After joining the wings I will use plasticard to create the inner wing part that the slat will open /close on.

bVkU9gO.jpg

ClPLotA.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, RJ-WobblyHands said:

The slats are easily identifiable on the wing top section from some nice panel lines, test taping with tamiya tape - but before I get a razor saw anywhere near I will replace with Dymo Tape that will give a stiff enough edge to cut against.

I hope you didn't cut it yet because those panel lines don't quite show the full extent of the slat. It actually goes all the way to the wingtip light, like this:

yeArzGa.jpg

Note that the wingtip light doesn't quite extend to that line, and needs to be painted accordingly. There is no panel line for it on your kit (nor on the Hasegawa 1/48 for that matter). See this:

UcDxS3O.jpg

(photo by me)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, spejic said:

I hope you didn't cut it yet because those panel lines don't quite show the full extent of the slat. It actually goes all the way to the wingtip light, like this:

Thankfully nothing has been cut yet :) , and thank you again for spotting my mistake  

• Like 2

The 1st Slat has been cut  *eek* , following the advice from  @spejic :) , now time to make fill the gap and fill the pylon holes - Only the center pylon is used on the Aggressor A-4's

H0r9u0V.jpg

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 3

For the flaps , the best way I can think is to remove the pink area. Add a piece of  Plasticard to replace the top half then use another piece of plasticard to make the flap itself 

0oxYy4o.png

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

That is some very neat cutting, you have done a great job on it. This is going to be very helpful to others who are building the HobbyBoss kit.

Your plan for the flaps seems sound, do you plan on having the top flap posed open?

Dymo Tape , strong coffee and bright lighting :) kept those hands steady making that cut - now I have to repeat it on the other wing !!

Most A-4's parked seem to have just  the lower flap open, I assume as hydraulic drops gravity takes over , so I was going to keep the top flap in the closed position flush with the top wing surface , mainly for structural integrity  and my sanity when gluing everything back together :)

Edited by RJ-WobblyHands
  • Like 1

That was my original thought , but taking a dremmel to the underside of the wing piece to thin that area it down by 50% and get a nice finish was not something I think I could do well !! - Otherwise it would look a bit strange with a piece of plasticard just attached to the already flush underside , I want the hinge to look recessed and at least look as though it would all be flush when the lower flap is closed :) 

Removing that area and recreating the top flap flush with a piece of plasticard seems the 'eaiser' option

• Like 1