Strip and repaint tips?

TonyOD

If I wanted to strip everything off a 1/72 Spit and repaint/redecal it while not harming the interior, while hopefully reserving the lovingly scribed panel lines, what's the best way to go about it? Would I have to go at it with sandpaper or is there a method that uses a liquid? 

Thanks

Just now, bmwh548 said:

Depends on the paints you've used.

Tamiya primer - Humbrol enamels - Klear - oil wash - Klear - Humbrol acrylic matt varnish

Well oven cleaner doesn't do much to enamels in my experience. Maybe if you're lucky it'll start working the primer underneath. I don't work too much with the classic enamels, but lacquers and "acrylics" (and I'm pretty sure Tamiya's primer falls under one of those) are affected by IPA so you might have some luck using that.

• Thanks 1

Ii expect you will need to wipe a liquid to avoid damaging the cockpit. I have safely stripped models painted with Mr Color and Alclad, both lacquers, with Mr Color Thinner. I believe that thinner can also be used with Humbrol enamels, so you might give it a try. 

Do not under any circumstances use hardware store cellulose thinner!  it will melt the plastic. 

• Thanks 1

I recently stripped an old Phantom with a mix of acrylic, enamel and Halfords primer on. I used Tescos all purpose cleaner (£1 and in a yellow 1litre bottle). To protect the cockpit I stuffed it with some old foam.

The model was left to soak in the liquid for about 4 hours, cockpit up,  and all the paint come off; the cockpit was fairly untouched due to the protection from the foam.

• Thanks 1

On 3/2/2021 at 10:45 AM, arnobiz said:

Breaks fluid or Oven cleaner will remove most paints without touching the plastic ;)

Oven cleaner did the job. 👍🏻

Interestingly, the plastic was originally black.

spacer.png

• Like 3