The Airfix Argentine...OOB 3a Escuadrilla A de Caza y Ataque, April/May 1982...

I am sure this will be a popular build and that's ok.  @stevej60 is building it too, I think, so I am in good company!  I have already built one of these Airfix birds, so I know it'll come together well enough. I am also only building one kit for this GB...anyway, I already have an American Scooter.  So Argentinian it will be...

The box art...

50995853292_69047888b6_c_d.jpg

The sprue...

50995853252_c74cb01eee_c_d.jpg

the markings...

50995042533_bb4cbc1868_c_d.jpg

And the profile.  Looks snazzy.

50995738341_01db8cc2d9_c_d.jpg

I'll see you all later this week!

--John

• Like 7

Having built one of these Skyhawks already in the Vietnam GB, I am pleased to be back.  This is a very nice kit and, as I recall, had zero issues.  I begin here...1-6...

51019067943_b6841cc636_c_d.jpg

...and I end up with this very neat little office:

51019891962_b029e700c8_c_d.jpg

Airfix' decals really do the trick.  More later.  

--John

• Like 6

Don't forget the lead in the nose...

51019476918_cfa2878b9d_c_d.jpg

I remember.  There are some issues.  Enormous knobbly Sprue gates that look like poorly moulded casts...and pieces like this...looks like its made of old chewing gum. Luckily it is inside and actually not so essential.

51020204016_96c99e83bc_c_d.jpg

And these pieces...15/16...should be reversed.  They don't fit the way the instructions say.

51020203936_76bba3f521_c_d.jpg

But it works out.

51020203971_3c6a9e7f81_c_d.jpg

Don't forget to drill the holes for the radar on the spine and the underwing pylons.  It's all in the instructions but it can be easy to miss.

--John

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Good spot, these are the booby traps of this kit.....I forget them too, only built 6

Looking forward to seeing this one come to life

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

info like this is going to be extremely useful to the rest of our team who are building this kit.

Thanks Craig.  I think there are numerous alerts to these issues with this specific kit throughput the forum, especially the sprue gates.  Ghastly.  It just takes a lot of care snipping pieces off.  The plastic is quite soft.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Thanks Craig.  I think there are numerous alerts to these issues with this specific kit throughput the forum, especially the sprue gates.  Ghastly.  It just takes a lot of care snipping pieces off.  The plastic is quite soft.

Yes but having them in the appropriate GB is very handy indeed, saves people having to go searching.

• Like 2

I assembled the two fuselage halves--a very nice fit that will require online the smallest amount of putty around the nose.  

51022417233_e6183df20f_c_d.jpg

While that set up I also assembled the wing pieces and some of the smaller, underwing, items...

51022417273_d0d5e1b485_c_d.jpg

The last time I built this aircraft I had the leading edge slats snug against the wing.  This time, as this is ore of a display model, I will have the LES deployed.  According to the instructions, the area beneath the slats and on the wing are painted red (Humbrol #19)--for safety, I imagine.  Also in red are the edges of all the doors, etc...This will make for a colourful display!

51023245817_3238338414_c_d.jpg

With these two large components ready to assemble, I looked ahead and decided to attach the radome to the top of the spine as well.  Note that on the US aircraft, the circled area, a red light, is there.  To attache the radome (which has its own light already) it is necessary to cut this piece off of the fuselage.  I am not sure if the instructions tell us this.

51023148376_6ab8aee8ba_c_d.jpg

Looking very much the part...The fit for the wing, stabilizers and radome were clean and without incident.  I used a bit of PPP just to get rid of some seams.

51023245737_a288c17b5c_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

34 minutes ago, almac said:

mine looks a bet messy at the moment. 

I think I walk a tightrope between decent modelling and the 'Oh egads...I have to pull it all apart!"

Thanks Allan.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

You have achieved really nice joins on all the major parts and by the looks of things she will be off to the paint shop very soon.

Thanks!  Some fettling required...a bit of sanding here and there.  I think this would be an excellent kit for the next generation beginner.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

you're motoring along with this one mate.

I'm trying to figure out the payload.  I will use the drop tanks and the big bomb in the middle.  the outer two pylons which were almost exclusively used by the Argentinian forces...Hmmm...Snake Eyes?  There is evidence of Sidewinders having been loaded until May of that year.  I've got some of those...

• Like 2

I think 2 were kept on alert on the deck as interceptors with pilots in the cockpit armed with sidewinder 9s? I think the task force was sighted and they couldn’t take off as they couldn’t get enough wind speed...I’ll check that in Wings of the Malvinas book, the same author has a Skyhawk only book which I’d like...

• Like 1

Just now, Valkyrie said:

I’ll check that in Wings of the Malvinas book

Thanks Valkyrie.  I have about 4-5 days before I get to that stage.  Although I am perfectly happy with the Snake Eyes.

• Like 2

John I’ve just mentioned on my build thread I found a picture of this plane being loaded with Snakeyes so that’s the way to go.

Cheers Allan 

• Like 2

So...there's always something....I went to attach the two gun mounts for the wing cannons and for some reason part 6A is gone.  That would be on the starboard side.  So I searched.  I interrogated the Carpet Monster for a good 30 minutes...I emptied out the hobby bench rubbish bin and sorted through that...I went through every conceivable current build box or take-away lid...In the end I had a very clean bench and surrounding floor and a meter idea of how many cotton buds I use...but , alas, not part 6A.

51030085421_8060ecfa81_c_d.jpg

Milliput to the rescue!  I will let this harden overnight and clean up the shape tomorrow.  If all goes well you wont be able to tell.

51029360048_2c3f2bdd46_c_d.jpg

--John

• Like 7

8 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Guarantee you that part 6A will turn up when you have finished the kit.

Thanks Craig.  My thinking as well.  I'll find it next September/October when I move house.

• Like 1