RNZAF F4U-1 Corsair - Repainted

Hi All.

Recently been on an RNZAF Building mission :D - Though this model was built a few years ago, but never posted in RFI

Some may be aware that currently there is a Group Build celebrating Australia and New Zealand's contribution to the World,

especially in the last Few Hundred years (yes, New Zealand is 200 Years old in 2040 and Australia 300 in 2088)

We have been involved in wars/policing actions (my own family having served in the Boer war,

WW I/WWII and actions post war in both ADF/NZDF) - Needless to say I'm quite proud of

all that.

Having had the RNZAF in my life since I was born, and even now, I am quite proud of that too, of what Our Air Force has/are doing.

What I have to say below is some Thoughts I have some surfacing more recently...

I have spent a lot of time actually researching/collecting, especially the WWII RNZAF, not just reading some webpage and taking it as

Gospel- There are books out there on the RNZAF that have been for decades the go to, and now newer information makes that information  out of date.

Unfortunately on the Web/Net/Forums, there are those I call SAGE's (Self Appointed Guru Experts) who make out

they know some thing because they have read about it. Usually these people have a perceived Status on forums like these, and if they

spout some mis-truth, people believe them.

These types of people continue the many myths about the RNZAF - If they think I'm being pedantic, meet some other RNZAF Researchers....

and NO we don't want to have it all to our selves, we simply want the Actual Truth out there.

I said to a person I consider a Friend, on the forums, I's not nice when these types of individuals make fun of what you are saying

but people cling to their every word..........

Context, a few Years ago (another Forum) a few NZ Researchers (some who had served in the RNZAF) spent time explaining RNZAF Roundels and

the Mythical Colour People keep spouting on about - I kid you not they laughed at us.............

If a Modeller built an RNZAF Corsair with Pink and Purple Polka Dots, and had the Honesty and Intestinal Fortitude to say , "This is my Take " on it - bully for them.

I say this because modellers are not perfect, neither are the models we build.

It's the Muppets who post photos and make out they know about something, when clearly they don't, and take Umbrage when shown up,

that gets my annoyance going, if they don't being shown up, it don't post drivel See the term Honesty above. Rant over ^_^

With the above, and living by my own standards, this is my Take on RNZAF F4U-1 Corsair NZ5347 as seen in the RNZAF Official Photo

below

PR4372.t5d9e7317.m600.xvkXr0Ysj.jpg

(RNZAF Official RNZAF Museum - Used with Permissions)

This Corsair and NZ5360 (other end of the line) had the Fuselage repainted in Glossy Sea Blue, with

the underbelly Insignia White, the wings remained Semi gloss Sea, Blue with Intermediate Blue lower wing panels.

The more astute among you will note the model doesn't have the white 47, (will get there).

Overall happy, but not, as the Semi Gloss Sea Blue on the wings should be a little lighter/faded

Paints used, Humbrol and Testors (Model Masters) for the fuselage Sea Blue/Insignia White

The Humbrol 181 tin I have is way too green

NZ5347

8d93a1cb-0b41-49b0-837d-0dc017025b7c.jpg

819a61d4-6910-41fe-996c-aa5c950bc080.jpg

da45d308-d5d1-4053-b3e9-db35d651d3bc.jpg

a6f42732-b4ab-4ffb-82a2-dc23fe86ebcf.jpg

The Frog kit needed some TLC, the Decals were Splendid, though again the lower Roundel should have

the outer bars in RNZAF Roundel Blue

The FROG kits' portrayal of NZ5457 is wrong

as it was a Glossy Sea Blue as in this RNZAF Photo below - Rukuhia Open Storage

d453b2dc-1d50-4478-b669-d73f86fd85c4.jpg

b968f6ad-7309-435e-9586-0cc2398d69b0.jpg

Hope you like - comments welcome

Regards

Alan

Edited by LDSModeller
  • Like 13

21 hours ago, Team Aer Lingus said:

Very nice model and background info Excellent work well done 

Thanks Eamonn, glad you like :D

21 hours ago, swralph said:

Nice one Alan

Thanks Ralph, glad you like :D

Thank you to all those who have liked my post too:D

Some additional Information

Here is another shot of the same line up looking from the other end, of the NZ5347 Photo above,

with NZ5350 "Struggle Buggy 50", which I have on the build cards in 1/32 scale,

also a "Repaint" like NZ5347 - Of note, is that NZ5350 has the white tape over the area forward

of the Windshield (windscreen), whereas if you look at NZ5347, it has been painted over.

All these little things that are cool to find when researching RNZAF Aircraft.

PR4368.t5ea5e04b.m600.xu8YA9YwG.jpg

These aircraft belong to 31 SU (Servicing Unit), Espiritu Santo, New Hebrides (now Vanuatu).

The SU's "Owned" the aircraft, and "Loaned" them to the Operational Squadrons, who flew them.

31 SU previously owned and operated the RNZAF TBF-1c's Avengers (along with 30 SU/Squadron)

Both 30 and 31 Squadrons went from the Avengers to the mighty Corsair.

Thanks for looking in

Regards

Alan

• Like 4