1/20, Maschinen Krieger Falke.

I started this a while ago, I can't find any images of the assembly before these pictures.  For some reason I didn't bother with the interior.  Perhaps the lack of windows.

I was a bit of a clumsy fit, and I had a few bits and peices to add.  The engine looked particularly plain.

sMy0YU5.jpg

ftQAZcd.jpg

ftQAZcd.jpg

After a quick prime, I started thinking about a paint scheme, I might experiment with gloss paint, and I want something bold and Chris Foss-esque.

zAWaHkx.jpg

I also dug out some scribing templates and added some rivet fasteners.  

OQLHw6h.jpg

T8fVHmu.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 10

Ok , next step GLoss white.  I'm doing this from a Tamiya rattle can,  not really done much with gloss before.

CdbJHPp.jpg

Bit od an issue at the 'wing' root.  Possible caused by greasy plastic.  Pretty weird, if I can't get rid of it I guess it'll be a weathering opportunity later.  The finish is inconsistent, some rougher orange peel here and there, but also some nice smoother parts.  I need more practice.

NYUKHiG.jpg

One thing I am wary of is putting down too much paint, I don't want to fill in all the scribing detail.

YFQTn9P.jpg

So, just to be sure I will go over the scribed details again.  This micro mesh stuff is extremely good at treating the finish.

sI3hiIg.jpg

OIifEVF.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 13

Hey thanks for the comments fellas! 

Whilst looking for paint, I was interested in this racing white that tamiya do TS-7 I bought a can of it.  Sort of bone white, not normally a color I'd consider, but I think if I get a god color to contrast it, it should work out.

I am sort of wishing I hadn't assembled the whole thing, I could have left the engine off for example.  I don't like adding layers of paint if I don't have to.

YRaHQ9J.jpg

Trying out some colors here, I thought I'd go for  a pale blue, I do like Royal Blue X-3, so I tried mixing it with white, as  the royal blue is so darl I think it will look black next to the off -white (you can see the white band on the test piece here looses some of it's butteryness next to those blues)  I also like the Park Green, but I think it's a bit vibrant for the off-white.

DhVATtu.jpg

Quite a bit of sanding to get rid of the orange peel.  I ran some panel line wash in there because it's satisfying to do so.

RZDBK4a.jpg

I started to think about the paint scheme, I thinking something with chevrons.  I also threw some black on the rear end, so I could better judge how much surface area there is to design a scheme for.

tqsPptX.jpg

Sort of gummy looking finish on the engine, it's be better in matt, but - ugh.  The engine being black really changes the graphic look of the rear end, I really like this off-white next to the black.  I think I heard that the engine was kit-bashed from a yakult bottle.

ve0xHud.jpg

Further sanding resulted in to much of the white undercoat coming through.  So I gave it another once over.

0PTfda0.jpg

Cheers!

• Like 12

• TristanR changed the title to 1/20, Maschinen Krieger Falke.

I do love seeing a Falke build, and yours is looking great. I like the sound of the racing white/pale blue scheme. Could i suggest orange as a detail contrast colour, maybe an i.d. band somewhere? (nothing to do with orange being my favourite colour :whistle:)

Andy:cat:

P.S. I like the Leopard track link detail. I guess, like me, you've got a bunch of them left over from one of the Meng Leps. I use them quite a lot for greebles; the slots in them look quite sci-fi to me.

• Like 1

That's rather nice. I quite like the gloss finish. I've scratchbuilt a few in the last couple of years. All on here somewhere.

And still haven't managed to build the genuine model Falke that I've had For nearly a decade!

• Like 1

Hey Andy, Thanks, and yes I do like your suggestion of a contrasting color to the blue  green.  I was thinking of making those small winglets the Falke has in an red,  and perhaps some small red decals, but I will consider a band or two, perhaps round the front of the nacelles.  Yes those track links are great aren't they!

Pete! I love your custom Falkes, I enjoyed you're latest build a lot, it was great to see it come together.

Tzulscha, Thank you, I think the shiny, pure, glossy version here might be the best this ever looks as a systematically botch the further paint work.

So after getting the white paint looking very shiny and nice, it was difficult to risk messing it up with further paint, but here goes.

In the end, after thinking about it, and going back and forth, I just decided to paint  whatever color I ended up with on the evening I decided to paint, which turned out to be this slightly washed out green, I was going for something slightly muted and vintage.  The masking was pretty involved.  The paint went on quite orange peely.  I was worried that if I mixed the paint too thin it's bleed under the masking tape, so perhaps mixed it a little thick.  Oh well it's on now.

6hFoIQB.jpeg

After the tape is removed, I think it was successful overall, however there are plenty of 'weathering opportunities' to hide some of the little gaps in tape or feathered masking edges.

The challenge with this scheme was getting the chevrons to look, uniform across a very organic surface.  My first instinct was to project the scheme through the model from the top, and then wrap the arms of the chevrons around the sides.  Given the nature of the main body this doesn't really work, so instead I focused on maintaining the thickness of the chevrons across the surface of body, and do my best to carry the arms of the chevrons out to the sides and wrap underneath.  It all falls apart when viewed from the side, it was and interesting trade off to make.  I think the Falke looks best from this overhead 3/4 view, so I optimized the scheme to look best from the overhead 3/4 view.

8gi5j8O.jpeg

I have some unintentional chipping going on here and there, and I sanded this panel a bit much.  I did a field repair with some deliberately mismatched green to cover it up.  I also kind of which I had left off some of the exterior details parts to be added later, sanding and masking round them is tedious and error prone.

pc6kI8A.jpeg

Cheers!

• Like 14

Wow. When I was a kid, we used to buy chewy mints in these colours. So my first reaction was, Oh, Minty!

I like it though, very unusual. I wouldn't worry too much about orange peel. Paintwork is usually rough on these.

If it were mine, I'd say it's rather factory fresh for the kreiger universe. So would micromesh the edges and panel lines in the green areas.

As @Andy Moore says, I think a contrasting band of orange would look good. Possibly the front of the booms?

And one side of the winglets too perhaps? (They come from the flaps of a 1/32nd Dauntless (SBD) BTW).

• Like 1

Thanks Hunter!

Hey Pete, I think I know what you mean about the old mints, I just took a minty walk down memory lane to see if I can find a match... hard to believe polos use to be 2p.  I'm glad to hear the paintwork is normally rough on these Falke's  I like your idea of wearing the green down with some micromesh. I was also thinking of maybe fading it with some very gently misted light blue xf23, like it's bleached in the sun a bit.

51x0O8DW-CL._AC_.jpg  Pacers_Mints_1981_television_ad_screenshPolo.jpg

I started adding some decals.  I don't normally do decals. I hate them. But since I'm doing glossy, I figured they should work out since everyone says decals work best on glossy surfaces.  I have a some random decal sheets so I started popping some on here. 

You can see how rough my paint work is here, gaps in the masking, bad coverage, and it chipping off in places.

2P6xlOe.jpeg

Eoo6HeN.jpeg

I have to be careful they don't look too random

tUyPyZ9.jpeg

This bit is working quite well.  A lot of these decals came from a 1/32 F104 decal sheet.

avyFgxj.jpeg

gdjKNCM.jpeg

Can't  resist a bit of panel line work.

D2bdrGN.jpeg

On with some tamiya clear (but I masked off some of parts I know i will want to be matt.

pmELTeW.jpeg

TIVrKR5.jpeg

Cheers!

• Like 14

Like the decals. Yes, it is easy to go too far, but the size of these things means a few more might not go amiss.

I like the sunbleached idea though masking could be tricky? I think the micromesh should achieve the same effect.

The chipping and masking errors add to the look. I'd figure out frequently opened panels & do more. Cockpit access for a start.

Hey Pete, That’s a very good point about the busiest hatches getting dirt round them,  I might try and keep the top surface fairly clean, but the bottom could be dirtier, like this thing is close to the ground a lot.  I’m also thinking doing some gun soot that’s been washed over the right side, perhaps like the exhaust stains on a Douglas skyraider.

Rockpop, thanks, and go Yakult bottles!  Although I did look for an aftermarket nozzle that was open, but even in 1/32 I couldn’t find one large enough to replace the kit parts.

tzulscha, yes, I was sort going for that 60s racer look, in particular the Porsche 910.

thanks Norman, good luck with your build,

In in the meantime, i’m Adding some details to break up the mintiness, which includes some nose color.  I was thinking of doing the entire front cowling a different color, but the paint came out particularly nice on these bit so I will just do the cones.

w1LiAIv.jpg

Also trying out a bit of red on the winglet things.  And started to treat the gun area.

zKyKFZR.jpg

I didn’t get too many pictures as I went here, but this was mostly brush painted with lifecolor paints.  I kind of wished I had done it with an airbrush, as it took a lot od thin washes to not look terrible.

DSoTLsT.jpg

I gave ave the engine a once over with a mix of flat black and hull red,  they went at it with some metal pigments.  I might try some bare metal elements on the engine.

rTMn3vT.jpg

• Like 12

Nice. The other colours tone down the 'mintyness' well. I like what you've done with the gun colours.

Any and all panels around the gun would be fitted and removed often so I'd add chipping and dirt in the panel lines.

Try a very sharp pencil in the lines and, see if you can get a silver pencil to run around them too. It gives a subtle effect.

Or just a thin wash, depends on your preferred method. Fun the underside, sandy or muddy?

The anti grav domes, I usually do in grey primer or dark sea gray.

Keep it coming and enjoy yourself, Pete

• Like 1

This is looking ace and I love the colours.  Another name to add to the list of people inspiring me to go rogue and scratch build something instead of following instructions all the time.

• Like 2

Hey pete I followed your lead on the dark sea grey domes, but then I thought I’d put some chipping so went with something a bit lighter on top. 

Im experiencing some decal lifting.  I gave model a coat of tamiya clear, but I guess it wasn’t enough.  I might have learnt that some decals don’t stick well to polished paintwork, or that I need to use a lot more cleat coat?

I also have some overspray issues to clean up too.

r1RuKMt.jpg

I added some some white circles to the winglets.  

Yr6DTWj.jpg

bmoyd2S.jpg

xKLnind.jpg

dy02gP9.jpg

EoFnonh.jpg

• Like 13