Canopy question: Airfix 1:48 Blenheim

Seawinder

I've read that the Mk. IF boxing includes the necessary parts for a Mk. I bomber. I've got an Xtradecal sheet that includes markings for one in desert colors that I'd like to do. My question: which specific clear pieces should be used for the front canopy? The IF instructions call for G4 and G11. I'm thinking the bomber version should use G12 instead of G4, the only difference being that one of the front panels is clear rather than frosted. Is this correct?

Thanks, Pip

4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Both instruction sheets call for the same parts: G1 and G2.

Chris

I think we're at cross purposes. G2 looks like a ventral hatch aft of the bomb bay. G1 looks like some sort of camera and, as far as I can see, isn't referenced at all in the Mk. I F instructions. The parts I'm asking about are the main clear pieces at the very nose of the plane. As I said in the OP, the Mk. I F instructions call for G4 and G11. G12 is almost identical to G11 except one panel near the front is clear rather than frosted.

I've tried to find the Mk. I instructions online to compare, but no joy. The relevant steps in the Mk. I F booklet are 108 and 109 on pg. 19.

I've just been through the booklet again and still cannot find any reference to G1. In what step should I expect to find it?

Continued thanks. Pip

I think the difference between G11 and G12 is not specific to a fighter or bomber variant.  It simply reflects that some Blenheims had a portion of the front glazing overpainted.  

Here's an example of a bomber Blenheim with nose glazing overpainted:

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Seawinder said:

I think we're at cross purposes. G2 looks like a ventral hatch aft of the bomb bay. G1 looks like some sort of camera and, as far as I can see, isn't referenced at all in the Mk. I F instructions. The parts I'm asking about are the main clear pieces at the very nose of the plane. As I said in the OP, the Mk. I F instructions call for G4 and G11. G12 is almost identical to G11 except one panel near the front is clear rather than frosted.

I've tried to find the Mk. I instructions online to compare, but no joy. The relevant steps in the Mk. I F booklet are 108 and 109 on pg. 19.

I've just been through the booklet again and still cannot find any reference to G1. In what step should I expect to find it?

Continued thanks. Pip

My bad! I was looking at the 1/72 instructions. 

Hey! I'm old and damaged my brain with weed & wine in my 20's.

Chris

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

My bad! I was looking at the 1/72 instructions. 

Hey! I'm old and damaged my brain with weed & wine in my 20's.

Chris

Me too; actually more weed than wine, but since it was 50 years ago, I don't totally remember.

• Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Seawinder said:

but since it was 50 years ago, I don't totally remember.

50 years ago I can remember fine. It's most anything in the last week that eludes me!

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, europapete said:

Hiya, Pete in RI here. I have the 1/48 1F kit at home. will look when I leave work. If you are in the UK, then I am 5 hours behind you.

HI Pete. I'm in Massachusetts, thanks!

Most interesting. Both parts G4 and G12 show the lowest glazed panel 'frosted',  as if to be painted over. That might well be correct for the night fighter and for some Mk1 bombers, however I have found a picture online of desert based Mk1s which clearly show that lowest glazed panel in use  on both sides, not just the starboard.  There also seems to be a nightfighter with that lowest glazing panel in use both sides.  

Not too difficult to polish up I suppose.  

John B

20 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

You're practically neighbours...er, sorry...neighbors.  See?  I'm bilingual. :)

I've even been to RI.  ☺️

I think I may have partially solved the mystery. The plane I want to do is K7107 VT-B, a Mk. I stationed in Egypt during Spring 1940. I found a head-on photo of a Mk. I in Egypt (may or may not be the same plane); the arrangement of the port-side clear panels looks like Airfix part G12. What's still puzzling me is the front bottom panel on both G11 and G12, the one at an acute angle to the rest of the part. Every photo I've found shows this panel to be clear, but Airfix has it frosted on both G11 and G12. Did they mess up? Not a huge deal to sand/rub it out clear, but I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Is VT-B one of the options in the Airfix Mk. I boxing? If so, which piece do they call out?

Cheers, Pip

Some images from the IWM, of Egyptian-based Blenheims:

50997461108_487682ae37_c.jpg

Armourers of No. 113 Squadron RAF place 20-lb Fragmentation bombs into a Small Bomb Container, and prepare .303 ammunition, for loading into one of the Squadron's Bristol Blenheim Mark Is at Ma'aten Bagush, Egypt, before a raid on Italian positions at Tobruk

Wow! The IWM site seems to have changed a bit, again. Not so many photos and not direct posting links, like the was. Oh well!

Chris

2 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Some images from the IWM, of Egyptian-based Blenheims:

50997461108_487682ae37_c.jpg

Armourers of No. 113 Squadron RAF place 20-lb Fragmentation bombs into a Small Bomb Container, and prepare .303 ammunition, for loading into one of the Squadron's Bristol Blenheim Mark Is at Ma'aten Bagush, Egypt, before a raid on Italian positions at Tobruk

Wow! The IWM site seems to have changed a bit, again. Not so many photos and not direct posting links, like the was. Oh well!

Chris

Yes, that's one of the photos I found, thanks. The panel in question is the bottom right as viewed, just above the pith helmet. That panel is obviously unpainted, as is the one on the opposite side, but Airfix has it frosted on both applicable parts, G11 and G12. The arrangement of the two top panels on the pith helmet side looks like G12 rather than G11.

• Like 1

Good morning Pip, I am looking at the kit now as I write. Part G4 is the fighter canopy. The top frosted panel represents an addtional bit of armor for the pilot. So if you are doing a bomber, then use G12. HOWEVER, don't forget that the Mk1 and 1F were the same airframe, and could be switched between the two roles with relative ease, so you will see photo's of bomber role a/c with fighter armor on the windshield and visa-versa. The gun pack was a bolt on accessory. The bottom frosted panel was usually clear, as the above photo shows, so polish that one out on both G4 and 12. But again as always, check photo's of the actual 'plane you are building. 

• Thanks 1

No, K7107 is not in the kit markings, and the painting guide shows those lower acute panels as clear. Yes, Airfix messed up frosting them. Kit markings are L6739, Q-YP, 23 SQN, Duxford 1940. And a 54 OTU a/c YX-N from Church fenton. (no serial given). 

• Thanks 1

We have probably passed each other and may have even chatted at the local shows (remember them?? lol). Have you been to The Spare Time Shop in Marlboro lately? just wondering how they are doing. Was there about 2 months ago. There is quite a bit of aftermarket for this kit;

SBS 48059 replacement engines and cowls

Gaspatch  Vickers K gun

CMK 4379 tailwheel and separate leg

BarracudaCast BR48058 Accurate main wheels

SBS 48064 Better propellers and hubs

Eduard FE 935 cockpit PE

Eduard 49935 Cockpit and airframe set

Eduard 936 seatbelts

Eduard48975 Flaps

Eduard EX 627 canopy masks

Extradecal 48187 decals

There is probably more out there, but that's what I have collected so far. Regards, Pete in RI

4 hours ago, europapete said:

We have probably passed each other and may have even chatted at the local shows (remember them?? lol). Have you been to The Spare Time Shop in Marlboro lately? just wondering how they are doing. Was there about 2 months ago. There is quite a bit of aftermarket for this kit;

SBS 48059 replacement engines and cowls

Gaspatch  Vickers K gun

CMK 4379 tailwheel and separate leg

BarracudaCast BR48058 Accurate main wheels

SBS 48064 Better propellers and hubs

Eduard FE 935 cockpit PE

Eduard 49935 Cockpit and airframe set

Eduard 936 seatbelts

Eduard48975 Flaps

Eduard EX 627 canopy masks

Extradecal 48187 decals

There is probably more out there, but that's what I have collected so far. Regards, Pete in RI

Thanks for the list of AM stuff. I've finished assembling the cockpit and have joined the fuselage, so I won't go for the Eduard PE. I did use some of their generic RAF seat belts for the pilot's seat, and I have a set of their canopy masks. I'll probably go for the Barracuda wheels and will take a close look at the SBS sets. I've read it's hard to do, but I hope to be able to have the flaps retracted unless I find any clear evidence that they were often extended when the plane was on the ground.

Spare Time Shop seems to be doing okay although I don't get there really often. I assume you know about the passing of Dave Schmidt, who manned the store on weekends and was also the much loved president of our local IPMS Chapter, Patriot. I've taken over that post for the moment, but we all miss him.

I basically only attend our local show, Patcon, in September because in non-pandemic times I'm a choir director and have to be in church on Sundays. I've been Patcon head judge for all the shows since 2013. We of course didn't have it in 2020, and I anticipate cancelling this year's show as well.

Aahhhh......that's why your name sounded familiar, just couldn't place it. Yes we have met. Sorry to hear about Dave, no, I didn't know he had passed. Will try and post some pics of the SBS set, but I am crap with computers. I got all that a/m from Hannants. I have entered the comp at Patcon many times over the years, it's a great show. Does the club still hold meetings? or is it all vitual atm. 

I'm just the opposite on flaps., so we agree to differ. I checked out the SBS sets; think I'll pass -- it's a lot of money. Thanks again for all the info.

We've been Zoom meeting every two weeks since last March. You're welcome to drop in. If interested, PM me your email address and I'll send you the invite stuff. Next meeting is a week from Friday. If not interested, no worries.

Pip

Edited by Seawinder