Combat Dealers Panther.

Stef N.

I haven't seen the full episode yet but they have put out a short video showing off their hard work. And it looks great. Shame it's not staying around here but our Aussie friends will be happy.

• Like 5

I watched the Panther episode the other day. I have the say that I thought it was the only one in the new series which was really worth watching.  The one about Ian Fleming-related items was really scraping the bottom of the barrel. I have a feeling they have now run out of good subjects to base the programmes on, unfortunately. Maybe this concept has run its course, after five series.    

So, the Panther cost Brucie Boy £1.5 Million in its semi-derelict state. He then spent £80,000 on a nearly-new Panther engine and also spent large sums of money buying parts for the interior. I seem to remember an episode from a previous series in which they had a load of track-links cast (a few hundred quid each, I would have thought). Also, they had to re-build the transmission, as it had been wrecked by an Allied shell (not a cheap job, I'm sure). The engine was sent to the Czech Republic for some work. An intense, four year renovation must have cost him several millions more, even with "The Twins" doing the great majority of the work.

If Bruce sold it to the Australian museum / collector for £14 Million, I'm now wondering what kind of profit he made on it...? 

I bet it was a laugh just getting an export licence for the tank. 

Chris. 

Edited by spruecutter96
Correcting a typo.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I've only seen the episode when he acquired the Panther, then the engine stashed away in someone's garage. Which episode/series does the finished item appear in? I remember him selling a Hetzer to a museum in Australia, same buyer for the Panther?

Edited by Whitewolf

The hetzer and the panther are both at the Australian armour museum, which is a place most definitely on the bucket list! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Whitewolf said:

I've only seen the episode when he acquired the Panther, then the engine stashed away in someone's garage. Which episode/series does the finished item appear in? I remember him selling a Hetzer to a museum in Australia, same buyer for the Panther?

The final Panther episode is Series 5 Ep. 4. It was on the Discovery Channel about three weeks ago.

Chris.  

Edited by spruecutter96
Amending some information.
  • Thanks 1

I won't get to see it until it gets on Quest TV. Shame that it is running low on ideas. Maybe a more in depth look at the restorations, (although that may only appeal to a few, like me 😀). 

1 hour ago, George Norman said:

The ol Panther is not doing me any Favours in Warthunder though even with all that Armour!

Somebody else that plays Warthunder..... :clap:....we need to setup a warthunder/Britmodeller clan and go kick some butz..... who's in?

21 minutes ago, M3talpig said:

Somebody else that plays Warthunder..... :clap:....we need to setup a warthunder/Britmodeller clan and go kick some butz..... who's in?

Another thread Maybe, I am only playing on Play Station so not as fancy a set up as most lads I'd say. I Spend most of the time on fire!!

But hey I'd give it a shot, I don't have a head set or any of that Jazz.

3 hours ago, PDH said:

There is video of the end result and delivery to Southampton docks/Australia on YouTube 

Just watched the episode. Shame they didn't show how they created the Zimmerit, it certainly didn't have any on it when he bought it! Amazing restoration, a really thorough job resulting in an authentic runner, although could perhaps have done with a few dummy rounds in the ammo racks? Would love to have seen it running in a museum in Europe.

Edited by Whitewolf

On 3/2/2021 at 6:20 PM, Whitewolf said:

Just watched the episode. Shame they didn't show how they created the Zimmerit, it certainly didn't have any on it when he bought it! Amazing restoration, a really thorough job resulting in an authentic runner, although could perhaps have done with a few dummy rounds in the ammo racks? Would love to have seen it running in a museum in Europe.

At the Bovington Museum's 2019 Tankfest, they brought a working Panther over from the French Saumur AFV Museum, so it's not inconceivable that we could see a Panther rattling around in the UK sometime in the future. Time will tell on that one...

Chris. 

PS: I appreciate that not everyone can get down to near Bournemouth, but if you can get to the event, I would thoroughly recommend it.   

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, FalkeEins said:

14 million for a ‘new’ Panther, what sort of museum has that kind of money availabl

A privately-owned one, which I think is in Queensland (but don't quote me on that!)

Chris. 

3 hours ago, spruecutter96 said:

A privately-owned one, which I think is in Queensland (but don't quote me on that!)

Chris. 

Yep, in Cairns, Far North Queensland. Good collection, worth the visit. 

• Thanks 1

On 05/03/2021 at 03:21, GMK said:

Yep, in Cairns, Far North Queensland. Good collection, worth the visit. 

Bovington is in a nice part of England but I think a tank museum in Cairns just pips it for location.😀

• Like 2

sdkfz foundation has some nice toys if you like German kit they have a jagdpanther and i think a few stugs.

To have money......i would more than like have just the few land rovers i have lol 

On 3/6/2021 at 8:02 PM, Stef N. said:

Bovington is in a nice part of England but I think a tank museum in Cairns just pips it for location.😀

I’ve been quite fortunate over the years to have been able to visit Bovington a few times, Cairns, the Puckapunyal tank museum a lot, Latrun in Israel, Munster, and the American Heritage Collection in Massachusetts (which as a USMC M1A1 on permanent loan). Would love to get to Saumur, Jordan, & Kubinka. 

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/2/2021 at 2:56 PM, Vince1159 said:

I wonder if they'll move to the States like WD did.

Now, that is a genuinely intriguing idea... There would be a HUGE number of new subjects over there. 

Chris. 

• Like 1