1/72nd Academy FG-1D Corsair, 14 Sqn, RNZAF, Japan, 1946

Hiya Folks,

Another one from Andy`s Australian & New Zealand GB,...... this one is a 1/72nd Academy Corsair built as a FG-1D operated by 14 Sqn, RNZAF as part of the British Commonwealth Occupation Forces in Japan during the late 1940`s, the Kiwi contingent of which was often referred to as` J Force'. This particular aircraft, NZ5617 was maintained by Len Mossong who named it `Verna' after his fiancee and later wife,..... seen here. 

corsair_nz567lm.jpg

corsair_verna_NZ5617a.jpg

Corsair_15-verna-crash-3.jpgcorsair_verna1.jpg

corsair_rnzaf_2.jpg

And before leaving New Zealand FOR Japan aboard HMS Glory in March 1946,... note the painted over wartime roundels and bars;

corsair_rnzaf.jpg

Here is the WIP, ,... the model was brush painted using the discontinued Humbrol 181 Sea Blue Gloss,.... which I feel captures the real colour very well,.... brushes like a dream and dried very quickly;;

And here is the model,... they were quite heavily weathered and scratched with the original wartime RNZAF markings roughly overpainted and replaced by post war roundels;

DSCF9960-NEW.jpg

DSCF9963-NEW.jpg

DSCF9964-NEW.jpg

DSCF9957-NEW.jpg

DSCF9959-NEW.jpg

DSCF9965-NEW-NEW.jpg

DSCF9955-NEW-NEW.jpg

Cheers,

Tony

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 31

13 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Another cracka Tony. To begin with, I wondered if you'd over weathered/chipped it but upon looking at the period photos, I can see you've hit the mark spot on, as usual :)

Steve.

Thanks Steve,.... I was worried about that too,..... but as you say,.... once you look at the photos,.... they were very weathered, scratched and chipped.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, swralph said:

Lovely build and weathering Tony.😀

Thanks mate. I have to admit,.... I was a bit worried that it looked too much,.... but the real aircraft was quite scuffed and worn. 

2 hours ago, F-32 said:

Great build, love the weathering

Thanks very much,.... greatly appreciated. 

2 hours ago, Dunny said:

Another lovely finish Tony - is this a single-person GB?! 🤣

Cheers,

Roger

LOL!! Yeah I get a bit carried away with GB`s,..... I do try to avoid them now,.... but this was a special one. 

1 hour ago, Homer said:

Excellent work looks great 👍 

Thanks Homer. 

34 minutes ago, Sky Keg said:

Lovely!!!!!! :like:  You make it look easy Tony.

Mike

Cheers Mike,..... well I`m more like a Swan then if that is what it looks like,......it might look easy above the water,...but under water is another story,... working furiously hard and making it up as I go along LOL!

Cheers chaps,

Tony

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Ooo lovely Corsair Tony  like the weathering on the wings, looks great fella.

Chris

8 minutes ago, Wulfman said:

Great work on the Corsair, very good weathering !

Wulfman

Thanks Fella`s,..... glad you don`t think I`ve over done it. Still experimenting with the fine silver Sharpie!  

• Like 1

Fantastic model!

The weathering looks spot-on.  :clap2:

In the pantheon of F4 Corsairs, I don't recollect seeing much conversation on Academy's kit.

Would you recommend it?