AFV Club PAK 40 7.5cm ATG AF35071

So here is my PAK 40

This is a really nice kit to build and includes PE for the shield and other small parts and a one piece ali barrel (also comes with rubber tires which I have to say Im not a big fan of).

The only real problems I had (which are down to me really) is that the plastic bolts for the two PE shields are absolutely minute, would be much easier for someone who doesn’t have failing eyesight or a few dexterity problems.  I ended up putting plastic rod through the holes and once dry snipped them off. However they do do a set of AF35073 Brass Shield Bolts, I found out after.

The other was after I had applied the colours I sprayed with Tamiya X-22 gloss clear to add some weathering (not much weathering done as I have a diorama in mind for the future so will do it then). After drying I applied what little I had of the XF-86 left (fully covered though) but it came out semi-gloss🙄

I then after 24hrs+ drying I applied some Tamiya LP-23 (after some helpful advice from some of you folks).  This also came out semi-gloss actually bordering on gloss.  Out of frustration I searched through my paints and came across a bottle of Polly Scale Flat Clear (I got in the 90’s). For the first time ever I mixed the paint and thinner in the AB cup.  After a few minutes it started to go matt and the finish I was hoping for.  Never had this problem before with Tamiya strangely.

If anyone has any thoughts or ideas why this has gone wrong (or should I say what I have done wrong) it would be much appreciated.

Sorry for the waffle

AFV Club 1/35 PAK 40 7.5cm ATG

OOB apart from the shield bolts

Tamiya Acrylics/Lacquer Paints

Polly Scale Flat Clear

Flory Washes

Abteilung Oils for the wood

Various Metallic Enamels

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for looking 👍

• Like 23

Very nice build. The fine looking detail is well done, as is the paintwork. Good photos too. Like this a lot.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vytautas said:

Looks really good, I like camo 👍

Vytautas

PS. A small note - if you have not yet glued the breechblock, it should be turned on to the other side. Photo

Thanks Vyautas, I've not glued it yet so thanks for the heads up

• Like 1

Great work Si. superb finishes. As has been said very nice photos. A great amount of time to achieve this. You can have a beer now

Although it looks as though your breech has been blocked.

Laurie