1/48 Mirage IIIc Photoetch Question about the best glue to use

David Hadland

It's my first time  using photoetch on a model and I had a bit of a problem getting it to stick with Tamiya glue (Both Thin and Regular).  I ended having to be a bit liberal with Humbrol Precision Poly Cement to get them to stay in position.  Is there a glue that works best with Photoetch?

As @Vesa Jussila says, cyanoacrylate (super glue) works well with PE. Try to get the stuff that allows you a few seconds to slide the part into place though because if the part goes on slightly crooked you'll have a hell of a job repositioning it. Some peope use pva (white glue) or even Klear/Pledge floor polish because parts are easily repositionable. They take longer to set off though.

I use Gel CA (cyanoacrylate) applied with a toothpick. The Gel giving a little bit of working time, not a lot, just a little for positioning. I cut up some glossy carboard packaging (my favourite is a McVities Dark Chocolate Digestives carton. The edible contents being a bonus) into small 50 mm squares  to act as  a disposable palette to put a dab of CA and use a toothpick to transfer where I want it. I will also use liquid CA as well applied with a small diameter copper wire from a droplet on the pallete.   Sometimes I apply with a needle. It is worth experimenting with different brands of CA. I find a broad range of performance characteristics. Find one that works with your style.  

I also will use a little Gel to secure a position and then come back with a small drop of Liquid to use its capillary action to strengthen a join. I have some microbrushes to quickly remove some excess if need be.  

Here I am mixing a little of my favourite filler CA and Talc on the same pallete (not McVities this time) on the current project - a Mirage IIIO.

Mirage A3-40 Construction 58

Here's the Mirage cockpit with PE going together right now. Some small parts still to be glued in place, such as the throttle, to be positioned with Gel or Liquid when I am about to close up the fuselage. 

Mirage A3-40 Construction 62

I use the same on the Instrument Panel. Touch of Gel CA avoiding dial face locations.

Mirage A3-40 Construction 64

One of the salient lessons in using PE is trying to avoid having to force it into position. Take your time , bend carefully first  to match the location before glue goes near it. Very true of PE harnesses.

Ray 

• Like 2