Matt clear coats applied after decals

Charles H

I've recently learned that it is recommended to put [Humbrol] Gloss Cote (clear) over matt or satin finishes, before applying decals, to provide a smoother surface for better adhesion. This makes perfect sense to me. I did two coats on my recently completed Hasegawa 1:72 scale Mig-29, then put the decals on, and they turned out well.

Then I painted coats of [Humbrol] Matt Cote over the model, to finish (3 coats)... but it still looks too starkly glossy to my albeit untrained eyes! Should I put on more coats of Humbrol Matt, or should I perhaps try a different brand? Any opinions gratefully requested, please! I'll soon set out to learn how to post a photo in the appropriate subforum, but I have no idea if it will show up what I mean here.

I assume you paint the entire model with gloss clear coat before the decals, and don't try to surgically paint gloss exactly only where the actual decals are to be placed.

BTW, one of the camouflage colours was actually satin enamel (Humbrol 127) and the other colour was a mix of two matt Humbrol enamels. Is this mixing of matt and satin common?

Edited by Charles H