Summer 1969

7s1d9hj.jpg

y2kjjql.jpg

FZ6RKih.jpg

NqG338k.jpg

zbOydMC.jpg

3pUBcIU.jpg

qa3XO3B.jpg

One of my all-time favourite aircraft from the the original Airfix 'Dogfight Double' box-art to my tiny die-cast toy when I was very young and on to 'The Aeronauts' TV series then finally seeing them 'in person' throughout the 1980's & 90's... I absolutely love the Mirage family. So when the Hobbyboss kit came-out in 2006, I think I was in the front of the queue... but then I once I had it, didn't do anything about it until now.

Not going to 'review' the build, folks far better than I have done that already, all I can say is that if you take your time especially with the wing-to-fuselage join, it will together with the minimum of fuss and effort. I didn't even bother with an Eduard pre-painted IP as the kit one is clearly defined, quite accurate and easy to paint. I am glad that I replaced the seat with the Aires one, as even with the lid closed it's quite prominent. The only other addition(s) was/were the drop-tanks which I think came from the Jurassic era Heller kit, but are more correct (longer) than the kit ones, the AIM-9B's are period accurate for this machine, the US supplying them from March 1969 for just over eighteen months then supplying AIM-9D's.

I was always going to do a 'silver' one, and was 'this close' to building it as a AdA machine, but as I've got a Mirage F1 planned in French colours, I decided that the Israeli machine would be the way to go, and besides who can resist those five small but very meaningful 'trophies' underneath the cockpit. As for weathering, well apart from a Flory wash in the panel lines, there is none - I could still add some streaks and stains on the underside or around the panels near the engine but honestly, I don't want to spoil the finish !! Not too much else to say the kit is no real effort to build and looks 'just right' to my non-expert eye, as mentioned I do have an F1 in the stash and an M2000 (already built a IIIE as an Aussie version), but probably won't be getting around to either of them for a wee while yet. As ever thanks for taking the time to look and / or comment; criticism and questions are welcome.. Very best from NZ, please keep safe all.

Ian.

• Like 28
  • Thanks 1

Mmmmm.... Criticism.  Your lovely model puts my modelling skills in the shade - literally so with such a brilliant NMF.

And a question - what did you use for masking and did the you have any problems with the finish markin gor lifting when the masking was removed?

Did I mention that is a brilliant NMF?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Farmerboy said:

Nothing to criticise from me it looks fantastic, lovely metal work, good job!

Most definitely agree!

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Natter said:

And a question - what did you use for masking and did the you have any problems with the finish markin gor lifting when the masking was removed?

Good question Dave

I use Tamiya 2mm vinyl tape to outline the panels then a cheap low-tack auto painters tape for the larger area around the panel. I always place the auto painters tape on my forearms - your skin oils reduce the adhesion - then on an old t-shirt or cloth before laying it on the model, I know tape affects the metallic finish, but mitigating the 'sticky' beforehand is the way to go. Works for me every time.

vGQM2bo.jpg

fosot99.jpg

HkDp7AD.jpg

HTH

Ian.

Edited by Ian
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

5 hours ago, Gary Brantley said:

Why is that area, on the rear underside, painted in the lime green shade?    

The IIIC was able to mount a ventral rocket pack for point-defence intercepts, the area where the rocket blast hit the fuselage was coated in a greenish yellow primer to try and protect the metals - AFAIK the IDF never used or fitted the rocket packs, but the aircraft came from the factory with the coating anyway.

Ian.

• Thanks 1

Thanks to everyone for taking the time to comment and 'like', always appreciated and never taken for granted. Next I'll finish-off and post an AFV build, then I'll take a wee break and gather-in some extras and refs for my next 'big' aircraft project.

Stay safe friends, have a great weekend, all the very best from NZ.

Ian.

On 3/1/2021 at 4:02 AM, Ian said:

the only other addition(s) was/were the drop-tanks which I think came from the Jurassic era Heller kit, but are more correct (longer) than the kit ones

as you are concerned about accuracy, as far as I know the Israeli Mirages only used their indigenous, jettisonable 500 liter super sonic wing tanks. (same shape, but mounted further back on the wing, and important with 3 seperation fins)

https://www.scalemates.com/de/kits/wingman-models-wmf48014-kfir-mirage-iii-v-50-1000-l-supersonic-wing-tanks--371121

if you have any photo of an Israeli Mirage with the "French" tanks, I would be very interested!

absolutley stunning model by the way!!

thanks

• Like 1