B-1 update, hopefully to be retitled bad to the BONE, eventually

Hi All,

I'm ready to tackle this beast finally!

20210303_095354.jpg

I've wanted to do a flaps and slats down version for as long as I can remember. In fact, the white (yellowed) plastic in the pics are from Circa 1987/88

20210221_112017.jpg

20210221_112043.jpg

Anywho. I - very carefully - cut the flaps and slats with the intention of making an internal structure for the wings. And of course, the wing halves immediately pancaked. So I ordered a third model once Revell Germany re-released the kit. With the intention of making a "buck" of the inside of the wings, I reckoned I could make a positive of the interior of the wings, cut it to shape, then mold that for the internal bracing for the flaps and slats. Unfortunately, the kit I bought had warped wings.

20210224_085431.jpg

So... I've built a jig to keep everything straight while I make a mold of the interior. 

20210226_071519.jpg

20210226_071559.jpg

My question to the scratch builders in the group; What's the best filler I can pour in to make my mold? I'm worried any kind of resin will get too hot and melt the plastic. Wax will crumble when I try to cut it afterword, Expanding foam will probably just pop the seams.

20210219_095129.jpg

BTW - second biggest model box I've ever received. 

20210221_151807.jpg

TIA

Car body putty? The two part “golf ball of putty, pea of hardener” sort (eg Isopon P38 in the UK). It gets a bit warm but not that hot, and it’s set in ten minutes. I have used it in largish quantities on plastic card structures with no thermal issues. I would be tempted to put cling film (Saran wrap?) inside the parts so that the filler stays unstuck.

Regards,

Adrian

• Thanks 1

• markmcguire25 changed the title to B-1 update, hopefully to be retitled bad to the BONE, eventually