Italeri A-4M 1:72

klr

Another placeholder. This kit was first released in 1983, but it was a few years before I bought it, in what seems to be the original box style:

IMG_20210205_120258_dr_020.jpg

I will probably build the more colourful of the two subjects (VMA-331), as opposed to the toned-down aircraft from VMA-214 "Black Sheep" on the front cover. The VMA-331 aircraft has the early fin tip.

IMG_20210205_120307_dr_020.jpg

There is nothing supplied for the outer wing pylons, so I will rustle something up from the spares box:

IMG_20210205_120342_dr_020.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Progress time. As with the OA-4M, the cockpit is quite basic:

IMG_20210609_191934_dr_025.jpg

Airframe assembly was hassle-free, with minimal need for filler. As per the instructions, I replaced the fin tip with the plain "cropped" version used by my intended subject:

IMG_20210610_191136_dr_020.jpg

Canopy now attached, with first framing undercoat. I intended hanging a Mk. 82 500 lb. "slick" off each outboard pylon.

IMG_20210613_191313_dr_025.jpg

As with the OA-4M kit, the wheel bays and wheels have already been painted, and the kit should be ready for paint and decals by tomorrow evening.

• Like 2

Undercarriage attached. The main wheels fitted so tightly that I did not need to glue them.

IMG_20210615_162350_dr_025.jpg

Engine intakes added. These are definitely not the best parts of the kit in terms of fit.

IMG_20210616_194205_dr_030.jpg

That yellow and black rudder is going to prove tricky.

IMG_20210617_192407_dr_030.jpg

Yup, it's tricky. As is the curved demarcation line between the black and gull grey, but I'm used to doing these freehand. I did toy with using old Matchbox decals (same unit, different aircraft) to mask the black area.

IMG_20210618_192711_dr_025.jpg

The rudder is very slowly looking marginally more respectable. As with the other Skyhawks, I'm painting the nose last, but fitting the IFR probe now. The Mk. 82 bombs for the outboard pylons are being painted, and will be attached tomorrow morning.

IMG_20210619_154024_dr_025.jpg

So, lots of decals to apply tonight. The Cartograf sheet is over 30 years old, with a distinctly more matt finish than modern Cartograf sheets. Fingers crossed ...

• Like 2

There are still several things I'm not sure about with this, including those curious blue walkways. I also got the rudder markings wrong, which probably cost me an hour or two. When I checked my photo references, I realised the paint guide was correct, as were the old Matchbox decals, although I did not want to use those. There were some Skyhawks with the type of rudder markings I was originally trying to portray, but this subject was not one of them. Curiously, the picture I found of 8145 showed a fuselage "badge" with a red background, instead of the blue here. The old Matchbox decals agreed with the photo.

DSC01502_dr_022.jpg

The decals had very suspect adhesion (no surprise there at all), so they were sealed in with a coat of satin varnish a few minutes after application. The anti-glare panel was hand-painted.

• Like 3

A pity that this didn't get into the gallery in time as you worked very hard on it and your other builds.

Interesting that the decals by Italeri don't match up with the Matchbox ones, I would have to say that the Matchbox ones are more likely the correct ones.

Thanks for having taken part in the GB and for having worked so hard in such a short period of time to try and get your A-4's finished.