ESCI A-4G "Aussie" 1:72

klr

This is a placeholder for the ESCi kit of the A-4G variant produced for the Royal Australian Navy.

IMG_20210205_120418_dr_020.jpg

I bought this in the late 1990s ago for the princely sum of 3 Irish Pounds.

IMG_20210205_120451_dr_020.jpg

The supplied stores are 6 x Mk 82 500lb "slicks" + MER (for the centreline pylon), 2 x drop tanks and 2 x rocket pods. This is probably standard for most of the ESCI A-4 kits, except the "Aggressor" & "Blue Angels", which have no stores as I recall. I'm not sure if this load-out was carried by the A-4G, but I do know it was used in the ground attack role. It was also used in the air defence role with up to 4 Sidewinders, which is an interesting possibility.

• Like 9

A very nice choice klr, the ESCI kit is very nice and the scheme used by the RAN later in their service is really nice, though I am slightly biased as I am building an ex-RAN one used by the RNZAF in the same scheme for the ANZAC GB.

You are quite right that they could carry 4 AIM-9's, though the usual load was only 2 plus drop tanks. Rocket pods were often carried for the air to ground role.

14 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

A very nice choice klr, the ESCI kit is very nice and the scheme used by the RAN later in their service is really nice, though I am slightly biased as I am building an ex-RAN one used by the RNZAF in the same scheme for the ANZAC GB.

You are quite right that they could carry 4 AIM-9's, though the usual load was only 2 plus drop tanks. Rocket pods were often carried for the air to ground role.

I've seen a picture of the 4 AIM-9s plus centreline tank, but it wasn't flying! Two with wing tanks sounds tempting. I could then recycle the Mk. 82s + MER, and use those with one of the other kits. The drop tanks seem to be interchangeable between versions, and of the kits I'm building, the Airfix comes with both centreline and underwing types. So there could be some creative mixing and matching to be done.

• Like 1

On 3/1/2021 at 7:25 PM, modelling minion said:

... the scheme used by the RAN later in their service is really nice, though I am slightly biased as I am building an ex-RAN one used by the RNZAF in the same scheme for the ANZAC GB.

Like this?  

post-1256-1198868761.jpg

I was in Townsville when this happened and the local suburban free paper (whose Editor happened to be a Scale Modeller) wrote in the article that the upside down Kiwi reminded him of the Monty Python Dead Parrot. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

36 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Just like that, except the right way up.😁

Yell out if you need some reference photos as the weekend before at an RAAF Garbutt Open Day one of the Kiwi Fitters allowed me to take walk around (and above and underneath) photos of one of their A-4s with various panels/hatches open. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/2/2021 at 9:39 AM, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

If you can I would be replacing the roos from the kit sheet, they are terrible!

I might have some spare that are the right size if you are interested.

What exactly is the problem? Comparing with photos, they look OK to me, with the disclaimer that I'm not familiar with the Kangaroo-type roundels.

6 hours ago, klr said:

What exactly is the problem? Comparing with photos, they look OK to me, with the disclaimer that I'm not familiar with the Kangaroo-type roundels.

The Italeri/Esci roos look like they have been to the pub too often! A bloated stomach and butt.

What they should look like on the left and what is in the kit on the right.

51004203047_097b3c4073_b.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Romeo Alpha Yankee said:

The Italeri/Esci roos look like they have been to the pub too often! A bloated stomach and butt.  

LOL

You forgot to mention the ESCI ones also have stunted paws. The ESCI ones wouldn’t be of much use in a punch up with a bogan. 

Edited by Rob S
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Ok, so Skippy has let himself go. But I'm still not sure. The only possible replacements from my stash would be from an Italeri (ex-Supermodel) MB 326. I wouldn't need the smaller Italeri roundels.

IMG_20210310_150616_dr_035.jpg

The ESCI and Italeri roundels are about the same size, but they are quite different. Apart from the different size and stance of the Kangaroo, the Italeri outer blue section is much smaller. This photo of the real thing suggest that the Italeri design has the better blue/white proportions. As for Skip though, I'm not sure ...

1983-Skyhawk-A4G-trio.jpg

• Like 1

I’m not sure that the creature on the Esci decals is even a a Kangaroo.  If it is, it has a malnourished/under developed tail, no ears and constipation!

AW

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/1/2021 at 10:46 AM, klr said:

The supplied stores are 6 x Mk 82 500lb "slicks" + MER (for the centreline pylon), 2 x drop tanks and 2 x rocket pods. This is probably standard for most of the ESCI A-4 kits, except the "Aggressor" & "Blue Angels", which have no stores as I recall. I'm not sure if this load-out was carried by the A-4G, but I do know it was used in the ground attack role. It was also used in the air defence role with up to 4 Sidewinders, which is an interesting possibility.

Standard load out for air two mud was three MK82's on a TER fitted to the centre line rack (Station 3) Could be either low drag or Snakey's. Zunis pods on the outboard rack and Charlie tanks on stations 2 & 4.

We didnt use MERs.

Cannons were only ever fitted when we were doing warlike stuff, they were removed and stored when not in use.

The aircraft were wired to carry AIM-9B's on 123 &4 but only ever carried one used mainly to annoy Jindivik target drones.

• Like 3

15 minutes ago, stevehnz said:

Those markings look out of register to me, ssshh, whatever next. :)

Steve.

Painters had a couple too many at the pub before shift.  At least they got them right side up.  :rofl2:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

• 1 month later...