Hawker Typhoon - Sharky 1/72

I've posted my first two "COVID builds"--the AVG P-40 and Defiant night fighter, both with shark mounts--and this was my third model since back into the hobby during the pandemic. Notice a trend? I really find those shark mouths compelling! This was a nice enough kit, but I did botch it up in a few places (somehow really glued the wings together badly and took quite a bit of sanding/filler to repair--and even then the issue with the front inner port wing is visible in some photos), and then screwed up on some of the decals (most noticeably the checkered stripe).  In retrospect, I also regret not dealing with the top fuselage seam better. Still, despite the flaws, I was fairly happy with the result and enjoyed the build thoroughly.  I suppose the hobby is only fun when you continue to have room for improvement? I used mostly Humbrol enamels (28 on the bottom [maybe not the best choice, although I actually like the look], 30 and 106 on top) and weathered with Tamiya panel liner and some silver paint chipping.  Please enjoy, and constructive comments are welcomed by this newbie!

y4mnCSDtQSfTABrlMyo4kaEbJCsvWxh-rvsx8C_d

y4mCjCsnfjYS_l-2Xh9f-9zzsuj2jHXcRUJHvola

y4mBRfzrHs7x3N2DyGe_qlYZ0498VkVU1GbAcAIR

y4mnx4Aw2JfhgdNMcxPCV5Ct0UU2ALvqdx4LulOV

y4mzs3I5QHZZv8EchT777GCHaYDciuRWMCmxrwSK

y4m2gsMrR0CxfLT1SYYE4HGJb_CutnN4qpLvijCJ

y4mDlBZluXJvBpOczb9zHDrZ9oKt99QthxWK1vPp

• Like 12

A nice looking Typhoon somewhat spoilt by the uneven tail stripe, I would trim the under side to match the width of the upper side.

Wulfman

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Wulfman said:

A nice looking Typhoon somewhat spoilt by the uneven tail stripe, I would trim the under side to match the width of the upper side.

Wulfman

Wulfman: Thank you for the tip! It is an embarrassing error and I think your advice makes sense. Honestly I didn't understand that I had messed it up until it was all on the model.  I probably won't bother trying to fix it now as I would rather focus on my next projects, but I am curious how you would go about that once the decal is applied and set. Have you done this before? As I think about it now, I suppose I could have also tried painting over one row of the checkers on the underside, not sure how painting over a decal works but presumably could have been an option.

Thanks for taking the time to provide feedback!

Edited by ModelingEdmontonian

Beautiful work mate!

The only thing that I would change would be to add a few drops of a thin mix of black-brown on the grass and some dry brush with a light green-yellow at some parts.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Shalako said:

Beautiful work mate!

The only thing that I would change would be to add a few drops of a thin mix of black-brown on the grass and some dry brush with a light green-yellow at some parts.

Cheers,

Bill

Thanks, Bill! I had a lot of fun putting together this little base, so I'm glad to have some feedback. In essence you're suggesting to break up the grass colouration a little to be more reflective of how grass actually grows? Do you happen to have any photos of how you've done this?