Airfix 1/72 EE Lightning F6

Hi everyone,

Third one off the bench this year and it was a nice quick simple build after my Eduard Mig 21.

I had no real problems with this kit just a slightly twisted vertical fin which I corrected with a little hot water and some careful manipulation.

I added a resin ejection seat, a Master pitot tube, and I replaced the refuelling probe and nozzle with brass rod and one of my aluminium turned parts. Painted with   various shades Alclads and finished with semi gloss cote.

Thanks for looking 

gazza l

DSC_1103

DSC_1107

DSC_1111 DSC_1108

DSC_1104

DSC_1113

DSC_1106

• Like 67

Really love this early-ish rendition of my all time favourite jet fighter, very impressive.

As a kid I always wanted to join the RAF just to fly Lightnings but sadly hay fever put a very premature end to my flying career as they'd only let me be a navigator at best, and who on earth would find that interesting compared with flying this incredible piece of art?!!!

Regards

Colin.

• Thanks 1

Excellent metal finish & I do like some of the tonal variations.

Somehow, this Airfix kit can be a bit of a pain to put together, but it gives good results.

Out of interest, what did you use for priming & is that Alclad airframe aluminium for the main colour?

Currently doing the 1/72 Sword kit & used some Alclad on it but found it too shiny & reflective for the scale. Still experimenting with Alclad!

I've ended up airbrushing Vallejo Metal Colour over the top of it to tone it down.

Superb work!

Martin

• Thanks 1

That is one outstanding Lightning.  Natural metal / silver finishes are the most difficult to accurately replicate and your`s displayed here shows off your attention to detail and skills.  Beautiful results!!!!!!!! :goodjob:

Mike 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, that's a magnificent Lightning (and not a Shinden either 😉)! :thumbsup: 

It's taken awhile for the type to grow on me, but it's a fast airplane that looks fast sitting still.   I am a bit sympathetic regarding that "pot belly" though...it happens😉 😄

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, stever219 said:

Master do them, £2.55 plus post from Hannants.

Lovely thanks for that!  Have also found air intakes from MiniWorld which look interesting..

Al.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Lightningboy2000 said:

Excellent metal finish & I do like some of the tonal variations.

Somehow, this Airfix kit can be a bit of a pain to put together, but it gives good results.

Out of interest, what did you use for priming & is that Alclad airframe aluminium for the main colour?

Currently doing the 1/72 Sword kit & used some Alclad on it but found it too shiny & reflective for the scale. Still experimenting with Alclad!

I've ended up airbrushing Vallejo Metal Colour over the top of it to tone it down.

Superb work!

Martin

Thanks Martin

I used Alclad grey/ microfiller primer which was then rubbed down with micromesh, then alclad gloss black base coat, followed by Alclad aluminium, the decals then went on 

and they were sealed with Mr GX100,  W&N Paynes Grey oil wash next which took the shininess away from the aluminium and finally a top coat of semi gloss cote.

Hope this helps.  

4 hours ago, alhenderson said:

Wow - that looks awesome!  I have a couple of Airfix lightnings to do, and am now on the hunt for after market parts - esp a pitot tube!

Al.

Cheers Al

Yes, a brass pitot is a big improvement over the kit part which is over size and very weak... it of a devil to fit to the mounting though!

• Like 2

7 hours ago, gazza l said:

Thanks Martin

I used Alclad grey/ microfiller primer which was then rubbed down with micromesh, then alclad gloss black base coat, followed by Alclad aluminium, the decals then went on 

and they were sealed with Mr GX100,  W&N Paynes Grey oil wash next which took the shininess away from the aluminium and finally a top coat of semi gloss cote.

Hope this helps. 

Thanks for that, only I did just as you did there, on a previous Voodoo. Alclad microfiller grey primer, then that gloss, then alclad airframe aluminium. Everything had dried correctly, but nearly all the Aluminium peeled off! Ended up binning the kit. 

This time I just used the latest version of the gloss black as the primer, but like I say, their airframe aluminium was almost like a chrome effect. This time I haven't done a WIP, but when it's done I'll put it in the RFI.