605 sqn Hurricane MK1 L2012 code letter?

Ralph

Evening all,

Really long shot, but have found a fascinating picture of Hurricane L2012 from 605 sqn in the Battle of Britain in Philip Darkar's BoB photographic kaleidoscope part IV.  It's taken from September 1940, but it has the early armoured windscreen, pole aerial and fabric wing, plus an unusual and clearly home brewed windscreen mirror. An ideal subject for my minor passion for fabric winged hurricanes that served in the BoB. Of course, it has everything on view aside from the aircraft's individual letter. 

Is there the remotest possibility that anyone knows what it is, from other photos, Sqn ORB etc etc?

Appreciated if so!

Best, Ralph

2 minutes ago, Ralph said:

An ideal subject for my minor passion for fabric winged hurricanes that served in the BoB.

have you seen this thread?

in particular this post

IMO these mid 1940 built P**** and V**** are a really fascinating subject. 

2 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Is there the remotest possibility that anyone knows what it is, from other photos, Sqn ORB etc etc?

You can access the ORB at the moment for free.   But,  they usually list code letter or serial, not both.

3 minutes ago, Ralph said:

Philip Darkar's

Dilip Sarkar.

Note that TM-N in the same book is a mid 1940 fabric wing. (as discussed in the link) 

@AndyL  maybe able to help. 

HTH

6 hours ago, Ralph said:

Might you be able to advise how I would get access to the 605 sqn ORB? Is it online? Not something I know much about!

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/advanced-search

Search string "605 squadron" but excluding the word combat, with date range 1939 to 1940.

Use the available for download only option to reduce things to what can be seen online.

Record of events files are you best chance.  Click on the file link.  The archives then offers a preview option, small window, with watermarks all over it.

605 Squadron looks like it recorded serial numbers, not letters.

• Like 1

And this what is so brilliant about this site...you find out the most I teresting things! Now have an account with the NRO, and am possessed of that all important code letter! Many thanks chaps@