Norwegian F-35 drag chute fairing in resin??

Ralph

• 3 weeks later...

Agreed! Would like a few in 1/48. But I think it`s a long shot. There has been a few problems with it on the F-35 as well. So the RNoAF has discovered that the F-35 handles quite well without the brake chute in winter conditions. The benefit could be less brake/ tire wear (as on the F-16) and a safety margin,  but with the added weight and drag (almost no drag). The main spar of the F-35 has to be strengthened to install the brake chute on the F-35.

🤟

• Confused 1

On 2/28/2021 at 3:49 PM, Ralph said:

Hallo all,

Does anyone know of a source for a Norwegian F-35 drag chute fairing in resin, preferably in 1/72?

Long shot I know, but worth asking,

Cheers, P

You better add photos or drawings

Cheers

Armando

6 hours ago, Iceman11 said:

Agreed! Would like a few in 1/48. But I think it`s a long shot. There has been a few problems with it on the F-35 as well. So the RNoAF has discovered that the F-35 handles quite well without the brake chute in winter conditions. The benefit could be less brake/ tire wear (as on the F-16) and a safety margin,  but with the added weight and drag (almost no drag). The main spar of the F-35 has to be strengthened to install the brake chute on the F-35.

🤟

Wouldn't it be good to investigate that BEFORE the chute development???

If I remember correctly it was stated that statistically the chute would save one up to two jets over their service life , and that this alone was worth it...

Yep, exdraken - if you like playing capt. Hindsight😁 But from the experience of F-16 ops, just the savings on tires and brakes validated the brake chute.  RNethAF followed up with the same reasons, as did Indonesia and Venezuela. All the RNoAF F-35 mainspars are strengthened before entering the production line.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Rumour is Hasegawa will box a Norwegian hunchback with said fairing depicted on box art or box photo, but without said fairing in the box to make a quick buck...

Jokes aside would not be too hard to scratch build said fairing...

Some cracking images of Norwegian hunchbacks in Iceland recently also spiked my interest - I wonder if the Israelis will eventually also adopt the hunchback look on their F-35I, they certainly adopted drag chutes on most of their jets in the past...

• 3 months later...

Hi!

If the Israeli does decide to go along with the drag-chute, they will need to strengthen the main spar. In my humble opinion this cannot be reversed, so that Israeli F-35 with drag-chute will have to be new built.

Someone - please come up with one in 1/48!

Check six!

10 hours ago, Iceman11 said:

If the Israeli does decide to go along with the drag-chute, they will need to strengthen the main spar. In my humble opinion this cannot be reversed, so that Israeli F-35 with drag-chute will have to be new built.

Hmm strengthening can sometimes also be an add on solution... maybe less elegant, and maybe heavier, more complex etc.. but do not discard the engineering inguinuty of the Israeli Airforce !

I thought from what I read that this chute should be possible to add onto any F-35A, so the requirement for strengthened spar is a little surprising? One would have though that they would implement this as standard, and hence quell any cost increases over the overall production of the F-35A's? 

• 3 months later...