Matchbox 1/72 A-4M

rafalbert

Hi guys,

I have dug this one from the depths of the stash (hence the battered box). I bought this when I was still in the RAF so it was pre 2005. I am not sure which scheme to do at the moment but I will be building it straight from the box to keep things simple.

Dave

IMG_20210228_213921

• Like 11

Now there's a blast from the past!

I built quite a few of these in my earlier years, always liked how Matchbox kits went together a lot easier than other manufacturers at the time and they made kits that nobody else did either.

Either option on the sheet is nice and colourful, and please tell me you will be hanging those great big Bullpup missiles under the wings!

• Like 2

This was the very first Skyhawk kit I ever built, and indeed the only one until I completed an Airfix A-4P (Argentine AF) recently. I distinctly remember painting it overall gloss blue, which would not have been kosher for even an early Skyhawk version. I was young then. I still have some spare decals, notably those black and yellow fin/rudder markings.

• Like 2

On 2/28/2021 at 10:00 PM, modelling minion said:

Now there's a blast from the past!

I built quite a few of these in my earlier years, always liked how Matchbox kits went together a lot easier than other manufacturers at the time and they made kits that nobody else did either.

Either option on the sheet is nice and colourful, and please tell me you will be hanging those great big Bullpup missiles under the wings!

I was going to raid the spares box for armament but if you insist I will use the bullpups!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, John said:

I'm fairly sure mine had Israeli markings?

John 

I must confess I have 2 boxings of this kit, the other of which has the Israeli scheme. Unfortunately the canopy is missing so at some point I am going to have to pluck up the courage to attempt forming one from the canopy I do have :worry:

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, rafalbert said:

I must confess I have 2 boxings of this kit, the other of which has the Israeli scheme. Unfortunately the canopy is missing so at some point I am going to have to pluck up the courage to attempt forming one from the canopy I do have :worry:

Thats not something I have ever done, though there are quite a few BM'ers who do this and do a very good job of it too.

• Like 1

This old girl is 3 years younger than me (which makes me feel like an old fart!):

IMG_20210307_143312

She will be built straight ftom the box and I am aiming to have her completed before the start of the Anything but Injection GB. To start with, the fuselage and wings are assembled and I will be addressing the seam tomorrow. I have used the pilot to hide the fact there is absolutely no cockpit whatsoever.

IMG_20210309_160202

• Like 8

Well, things slowed for a couple of days as this old fart managed to catch a cold (god knows how as I haven't been anywhere) and my nose has been streaming (I will leave that thought with you!). As a result I kept away from the models to ensure errors due to bad mood didn't creep in. Anyway, she is mainly assembled, seams addressed and the whole thing has been given a coat of white primer. A couple of areas need a little attention then I can start applying the paint.

IMG_20210314_191248

• Like 10

That looks great Dave.

The thing I always liked about Matchbox kits is that they built up quickly with a minimum of fuss.

The primer looks like a nice smooth coat and rather helpfully is the same colour as a fair bit of the aircraft, result!

Hope your cold clears up very soon.

• Like 1

The cold has gone but I have had issues with the painting, probably all down to my own ineptness. I started to use Mr Hobby aqueous white which gave terrible results. It was disappointing as I have used several of their other colours which have been excellent. I resorted to using my usual fallback of Halfords Appliance White which did the job. I then used Humbrol 129 for the upper surfaces which I have used many times, but again had poor results which I am guessing I thinned incorrectly. I gave up in the end and resorted to brush painting so the surface is not as even as I would have liked. On top of that my masking was poor so there has been a fair bit of seepage with one quite major leak under the leading edge of the starboard wing, so cue me touching the white up again by brush 🤦🏼‍♂️. As this was planned by me as being a quick build (compared to my normal ones) I will live with it and crack on with the decalling.

IMG_20210321_164522

• Like 4

The decals are on. I was going to do the VMA331 scheme but the kit decals are blurry, out of register and washed out so that plan went out of the window. Luckily, the decal sheet in the Israeli boxing was pretty good so it defaulted to VMA324. They generally went on ok, but there were gaps on the rudder and the intake warning decals. Peugeot cherry red seems to be a good match to the decal colour so that problem was resolved. I have notice a couple of small areas of grey I need to touch up then I will give it a satin coat.

IMG_20210326_193426

• Like 7

Hi,

this scheme is right down my street. Great paint work and decalling.

I am surprised to see some raised panel lines on the kit of a brand with a reputation to digging trenches!

The recessed lines do not actually look too bad at all.

Keep having fun.

JR

• Like 2

On 2/28/2021 at 11:47 PM, rafalbert said:

Hi guys,

I have dug this one from the depths of the stash (hence the battered box). I bought this when I was still in the RAF so it was pre 2005. I am not sure which scheme to do at the moment but I will be building it straight from the box to keep things simple.

Dave

I like that moment when you discover something you have totally forgotten that you had it!!!

Looking forward to see your model fished Dave!!!

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 7:56 PM, John said:

I'm fairly sure mine had Israeli markings?

In 1973 I had an Israeli A4 kit  . Is that hump a fuel tank ? Anyway that was a separate piece ,not part of the Fuse moulding but I didn't know that was included in the kit . I made the kit and made that hump from plasticine ( didn't have anything else !) painted it all decals and done .. Then found the hump under the table ! If it wasn't another version of the Matchbox it was Frog .

Edited by bzn20