VASA kit by Artesania Latina Downloadable Instructions and Painting Guides

Noel Smith

I was looking at the Artesania Latina VASA kit on their website and came across free downloadable instructions, parts list and painting guide.

Any would be Vasa modellers might like to look at the instructions download (nearly 400 pages worth) that gives very comprehensive rigging details.

The other great bonus is their painting guide that shows how each individual figure and decoration on the ship is painted with a reference to all the appropriate paints with their RAL numbers.

Useful reference sources for us builders of the Airfix and Revell kits albeit bearing in mind that the rigging would need to scaled down for the plastic kits.

This latest wooden kit I believe was developed with the full cooperation of the VASA museum, so my guess is that it should be good and accurate.

The Artesania Vasa kit has been around as a part kit for a short while through De Agostini I think, but is now available more generally throughout out the model trade as a full kit. 

At about £600.00 it is not exactly cheap, but I guess it compares with other wood Vasa kits from Mamoli, Corel and Billings probably without looking up their prices.

It is a funny thing that the old inaccurate Airfix Vasa (Wasa) appears regularly in their catalogue despite that old kit having a pedigree of about 40 to 50 years, so it must continue to sell well to warrant regular inclusion.

The Vasa like the Cutty Sark and the Victory is one of those ships that appeals to modellers. The Cutty Sark and Victory both benefit from large scale plastic kits from Revell and Heller.

Surely the Vasa must have enough similar appeal to warrant a big plastic kit in 100th scale. It would certainly be a lot less expensive than any of those wood kits maybe selling at around the £100.00 mark.

They seem to sell OK, but I guess the market appealing to wood ship modellers is a bit different to those who work on plastic kits.

• Like 1