Re-boxings

jackroadkill

Being as I am still very new to the game, I was wondering if the good folk of Britmodeller could answer me a question -

How do you know if, when a manufacturer offers a "new" kit, that it's a re-boxing of another maker's old kit or not?  I've heard people say "Oh, I'm building Revell's reboxing of the old Matchbox / Academy / Whatever B-52" but never have been able to work out how you can tell.  If anyone can fill me id my curiosity would be satisfied and I'd be grateful.

Thanks,

JRK

Scalemates.com is a good source for this type of info. It'll give you the history of a certain kit in timeline form, including other manufacturers who may have boxed the kit.

As an example  https://www.scalemates.com/kits/icm-48265-he-111h-6-north-africa--1223782  - States that ICM produced the kit in 2017, added new parts in 2019 for this particular boxing and Revell reboxed it in 2019 as well.

Edited by Avgas
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Those modellers old enough to have followed the many announcements of the various companies over the last 20-30 or more years will know this thank to their memory... for many years magazines issued list of new kits once a year where usually the origin of the kit was stated. Today this does not happen the same way anymore as announcements are not concentrated at the start of year or in occasion of the 2-3 important trade shows as was before the internet but are spread over the months. Fortunately a site like Scalemates helps a lot here as keeps track of all various reboxes.

I should add that Scalemates is not always right but this is a site based on the contribution of all members, so if you see something wrong or missing, register as a member and give your contribution. I have added a couple of kits to their list that were missing and I had in the stash while in another occasion I added a picture of the box art to a listed kit since I had found this at a local show. In the end it's the combined knowledge of many that makes sites like these useful

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the info, chaps.  I'm registered on Scalemates but didn't realise that that timeline thingy referred to a set of tooling and the boxings associated with it.  It all makes sense now!