Brazilian Navy AF-1. "15 Years" Anniversary Scheme

Jb65rams

I came across the decals on ebay and just had to buy them, so my entry is a Brazilian Navy AF-1 in the "15 Years" Anniversary Scheme.

spacer.png

As I understand it, the Brazilian Navy Skyhawk's  were ex-Kuwaiti Air Force  A-4KUs, which were modified A-4Ms. Hasegawa has boxed version of both the Brazilian and Kuwaiti aircraft, but was unable to find either.

My starting point will be the Hasegawa A-4M. Luckily the decal instructions list the changes you need to make to the nose and fin to build the AF-1.

spacer.png

spacer.png

And finally my references and some additional after-market.

spacer.png

• Like 9

That really is an eye catching scheme isn't it, I can see why you were drawn to it.

You are quite right that the Brazilian AF-1's started out as Kuwaiti A-4KU's, I am going to be building one of them. If your instructions show exactly what is needed to turn an M into a KU/AF-1 would you mind sharing that info on here as there's going to be a few of us building this version.

Looks like you have a nice selection of goodies to throw at your build too.

This will be another very interesting build.

• Thanks 1

that's an awesome scheme, Hasegawa did do a special edition boxing of that one.

Their A-4M "Greg Gates" boxing has all the correct sprue you need to build this version and they are reasonably priced as well.

• Like 1

On 28/02/2021 at 17:23, modelling minion said:

You are quite right that the Brazilian AF-1's started out as Kuwaiti A-4KU's, I am going to be building one of them. If your instructions show exactly what is needed to turn an M into a KU/AF-1 would you mind sharing that info on here as there's going to be a few of us building this version.

Apologies fir the delay in responding, was busy finishing a couple of entries in the Interceptors GB.

The decal instructions show 4 modifications you need to make.

• Don't install the RHAW sesnors and fill panel lines on the nose (parts S1&S
  • For the dorsal antenna, use part E6, not E11 as shown in the A-4M instructions.
  • Need to modify the tail. Suggest using part E14, i think it means part A14 as a basis. Will need some additional scratch building to match the profile. The instruction include a scale sketch showing the profile.
  • Two strakes need to be added to the fin. Will need to use some plastic card. Again a template profile is included in the instructions.

On 28/02/2021 at 23:26, trickyrich said:

Their A-4M "Greg Gates" boxing has all the correct sprue you need to build this version and they are reasonably priced as well.

Thanks. Had never heard of Greg Gates. A quick google put that right. Looks like a number of aircraft from that series Area 88 where produced.

• Thanks 1

@zebra Thanks. Does seem to be the most common boxing available.

Made a start on the cockpit. Although I got the etch set, i decided to go with the kit detail for the side consoles, thought the etch looked a bit flat. Use the etch for the main instrument panel.  Also using a replacement resin seat.

spacer.png

Next moved to looked at modifying the tail fin. The instructions included a scale profile.

spacer.png

Kit part over-layed on the profile.

spacer.png

Part A14 shown in position. Plan is to square the top off and glue some plasticard to the fin and then sand to shape.

spacer.png

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Very nice work on your cockpit and seat, they really do look very good and the mix of kit raised details and etched IP works brilliantly.

Looks like you have a sound plan for tackling the tail mods required, hats off to Caracal models for giving you such useful instructions, if only other manufacturers would do the same.

• 2 weeks later...

I had order a paint mask for this, but could I find it? No. So had to order a second one, turned up on Friday.

I have now primed the the fuselage, identified a few seams that need a bit of attention. 

spacer.png

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Just a quick update to show I haven't forgotten this kit. Been finishing my entry in the ANZAC build, then got sidetracked by the Anything but Injection GB.

The skyhawk is in the paintshop. WIll be slow progress, I am using vallejo paints and like to leave each coat 2-3 days before masking over.

spacer.png

• Like 3

Masking removed, i am really happy with the result,

spacer.png

Just posting this photo, i thought something didn't look right, The tail  feathers should be black, not dark ghost grey. doh! I was really happy with the masking job I had done. 

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Jb65rams said:

I was really happy with the masking job I had done. 

So you should be!  Tailplanes error aside (and we’ve all been there) you have done really well to get that nice straight demarcation over the curves of the fuselage.👏

AW

• Like 1

Re-masked the tail and correct the tail colours.

spacer.png

Gave it a coat of Aqua Gloss then started with the decaling. Only put three decals on so far, but looks really smart. The nose decal does need a bit of setting solution to get it to conform.

spacer.png

• Like 5