RA-5C Vigilante

RA-5C Vigilante

RVAH11, Carrier Air Wing 9

USS Constellation, South China Sea, 1972

This is basically the old Airfix 1/72 kit with modifications to the air intakes to depict a late version Vigilante. Leading edge root extensions have also been added. One of the interesting aerodynamic innovations on the Vigilante were on the spoilers used for roll control. These included rear hinged as well as forward hinged elements to enable airflow through the wing. I was tempted to model these in the open position as they are often seen in photos when static but it all got too awkward because of the way the kit's wings assemble and I just went for scribing them into the wing in the closed position. I'm working on showing them open on a Hasegawa RA-5C which is on the workbench at the moment. Most of the other panel lines were drawn in with a sharp 2H pencil over the final coat of matt varnish. Paint was Halfords Appliance White and Xtracolour Light Gull Grey with Humbrol varnish. Decals were Superscale with Xtradecal national insignia.

The inspiration :

RVAH-11

The model:

IMG_5371

IMG_5370

IMG_5367

IMG_5365

IMG_5364

IMG_5363

IMG_5362

A companion for this one (A-5A from the old Monogram kit):

Vigilante 014

• Like 45

A fine job on both kits and I definitely remember the old Monogram kit. The Vigilante is such a beautiful airplane. We're definitely in need of more modern model renditions in both 1/72 and 1/48 scale and I wouldn't kick up a fuss if one was released in what is now my favorite scale (cuz I'm a senior and little parts don't cooperate with me very well now), 1/32.