Rommel's Runabout ++FINISHED++

IanHx

Something linked to Africa, eh ?  🤔

How about this then ? Can't get any more North Africa campaign than the 'Desert Fox'  himself, although purists might argue that I should be building a tank !

IMG_20210228_112007524

Complete with obligatory 'not started yet' pic :

IMG_20210228_112252603

• Like 11

Nice subject choice Ian. The kit parts look to capture the delicate nature of the machine so hopefully it goes together well for you.

On 3/2/2021 at 6:01 AM, Touvdal said:

Can see that it is a rerun of the Heller kit, which is ok kit build a few, but be careful with the wing/landing gear attachment and alignment.

cheers

Jes

Thanks for the pointers.  Yes, all those struts and braces could prove interesting !

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Spent the last while agonising over colour choices.

Instructions show something similar to Humbrol 118, 

but the box art is Humbrol 187.

187 looks better for hiding in sand dunes, so thats what

I'll go with :)

Edited by IanHx

I don't know how much Tamiya Tape there is in England, but I reckon I've just used a fair portion of it on the canopy pieces !

Yes, another nomination for the "unnecessarily fiddley number of pieces" award....  :)

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

On 3/30/2021 at 6:03 PM, IanHx said:

I don't know how much Tamiya Tape there is in England, but I reckon I've just used a fair portion of it on the canopy pieces !

Not as much as me on my LeO ;) 

Got the glass bits glued on for the cockpit.  John was not wrong about it being a little awkward !

Fortunately got it all painted up first before assembling.  

IMG_20210403_154321260

• Like 6

All the major bits glued and painted.

Trickiest bit was the orientation of the A frame lower landing struts, instructions were

unclear if front-to-back or left-to-right.

Much staring at internet pictures of Storch landing gear later, it was determined that front-to-back

was the correct positioning  ie  both legs of the A on the same side of the fuselage.

• Like 2

I just KNEW there was a good reason I avoided WW2 subjects as a general rule....   started putting the decals on

and THERE'S NO TAIL DECAL.  Because its a *€*/%#$@  European boxing with no swastikas allowed !!!

🤬

• Haha 1

ok, one trip to Hannants website later and there are some extra decals on the way.

Somehow an Anigrand resin kit jumped in the basket just as I reached the checkout....:whistle:

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, IanHx said:

ok, one trip to Hannants website later and there are some extra decals on the way.

Somehow an Anigrand resin kit jumped in the basket just as I reached the checkout....:whistle:

Oh dear. What a shame. Never mind :D

7 hours ago, zebra said:

Funny how that happens! Which one?

F-108 Rapier.

Been hankering after that one for a while, and had a gift voucher that needed to be used.

If only I'd given in to the urge 3 years ago I could have saved £10  ! :)

• Like 1

Now its coming together, the deficiencies in the instructions are becoming apparent :

1) at no point does it tell you there is a machinegun to mount in the rear transparency

2) no markings on transparency for rear diagonal struts

But here's what it looks like.  No, I've no idea what the horns sticking out of the upper wings are supposed to be, but they're too carefully moulded to be ejector pin marks..

IMG_20210424_121424671

IMG_20210424_121539404

• Like 5

I suspect they may be handles to assist in the folding of the wings or the fastening them in place when folded.  The alternative could be antennae masts for the long aerial of an HF radio but I've not seen any photos showing a long cable.

7 hours ago, Graham Boak said:

I suspect they may be handles to assist in the folding of the wings or the fastening them in place when folded.  The alternative could be antennae masts for the long aerial of an HF radio but I've not seen any photos showing a long cable.

I also wondered about radio aerial masts, but likewise havent happened across any pictures showing such a thing.

edit :   and then 10 minutes later found this :

https://images.app.goo.gl/M4Go6idtpVrxzFGKA

So they did exist on some airframes.

Edited by IanHx
  • Like 1

• IanHx changed the title to Rommel's Runabout ++FINISHED++