HMS Hood May 1941

3 minutes ago, Modelholic said:

Jeff,

What have you been told about torturing your Humbrol paints?

Go straight to the naughty step!

Great modelling though.

Tom

I did wonder, what his paint tins have done to deserve the ‘thumb screws’. 😳😳

Jon

Gidday All, thanks again for your comments and interest.

David, thanks for the article. I'm working my way through it and at this point in time I've got as far as chap14.

And guys, if you like my thumb screws you should see my head clamps! 😁 Only joking. As I may have mentioned in the past I paint the very old fashion way, enamels smeared on with the hairy stick. I paint as I go and when doing a lot of fine stuff the paint can crust and set around the tin lip and lid, preventing a good reseal, and hence a lot of the paint going off. I used to throw away more paint than I used sometimes. These clamps force the lids back down onto the tins and keep them there, resulting in a lot less wastage. They're made from a length of rectangular section steel tube I had in my junk pile, and are about a perfect size to take the tins. I cut them about 40mm long and drill then thread two holes in the top. The thread is M10 to suit 10mm set screws (bolts with the full length of shaft threaded), although other sizes would be OK.

paint tin clamp 1

The tall clamp in the centre is for Airfix tins which are taller. Due to the extra height I didn't have to cut a thread on that one, I drilled a larger hole and glued a nut under the top face of the steel (not visible in the photo). That one also has two threaded holes on the side so I can use it as per the others. I place a washer on top of the tin lid or inside the lid hollow for the screw to push against. They're a bit rough as they were trials, and were cut from the tubing with an angle-grinder but they seem to work.

My next task on the model is to paint more of the stuff on the shelterdeck. But a bit more reading of David's article first.

So regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 9

Gidday, actually I don't use Airfix paints now but I had some old tins in stock when I made these, hence one clamp made to accommodate them. Until recently I've used Humbrol enamels exclusively but of late I have found that I can no longer rely on the paint in the tin matching the colour of the tin lid, or the number on it. Even tin lids with the same number stamped on them vary in shade and even colour.  It's rather hit and miss as to what I'm getting. So lately I've been using Revell enamels. I've found that the paint colour is more consistent and better mixed, but it dries much quicker, almost too quick. Oh, well, I'll manage  .  .  .

Regards, Jeff.

I have the same problem with Humbrol. Rumors have it it is caused by their temporary move to China. This website:

https://robdebie.home.xs4all.nl/models/humbrol.htm

was very useful for my identifying (and tossing) of all my Chinese tins. .But when I mix their new line I do not get the same colours following their own mixing recipes (pre-China). I only have one (very large) tin of my AP507A for Hood and if it spoils I need to remix it with what I have.... something I would like to avoid as much as I can! I'll use Sovereign Hobby's tins for my next build...

Edited by foeth

Gidday Foeth, thanks for your feedback and the website link. I don't like mixing paints if I can avoid it, for the obvious reason of matching two different batches. The only time I've really done it was for a model quite a few years ago of HMS Campbeltown as at St Nazaire. To my knowledge Humbrol didn't do Mountbatten Pink hence I mixed my own. I'm not quite as pedantic/dedicated regarding shades of a particular colour when doing my ships (particularly with whiffs) although I try to get paint patterns correct, so I can get by with Humbrol's inconsistencies at present. When my paints in stock run out I might have to reconsider what I use.

From what I've heard, Sovereign Hobbies' paints are very good.     Regards, Jeff.

Gidday All, I have a bit more progress with HMS Hood May 1941. I've masked all the bits on the shelter deck and painted them.

HD41.280 shelter deck masked

And last night I glued the shelter deck to the hull.

HD41.300 shelter deck fitted

Unlike the photo in the post dated Monday 22nd nothing here is dry fitted, it's all attached. As you can see, the paint needs touching up, and the fit of the shelter deck itself isn't perfect. But this is a bit of a milestone, for me anyway.
     I'd better start thinking about the ship's boats, which to use and where they go. I'll have to drill out mounting holes for them and that will be easier without superstructures, funnels and masts in the way. Same for ready-use ammo lockers, of which there were plenty on the shelter deck.
     So I guess I'd better stop yakking and get on with it. Thank you all for your comments, responses and interest. Stay safe and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 10

On 23/03/2021 at 16:13, Adm Lord De Univers said:

As this v interesting extract from the Hood website, written by Ted Briggs, mentions: http://www.hmshood.com/crew/remember/tedflagship.htm.

This extract is very interesting, so much so, I hunted down a copy of the book.

Jon

p?i=0a36e7aa3479cd46e27d38e0a4a8f2d7

• Like 2

On 3/30/2021 at 5:10 PM, Faraway said:

Thanks for posting this as it shows how random life can be.

Regards.

Edit: This is a after coloured version of the fight at 0:43 min.. The orignal one was the B/w of the Prinz Eugen, but it gives you a better impression of that fateful day, when you have read the statements of Mr. Briggs at that moments.

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

Gidday All, Thank you all for your interest. That book should be a good read. And Bbudde, I've seen that footage before but not in colour, thanks for sharing it.

I can't believe it took me over a week to get the boats sorted on my build of HMS Hood as at May 1941. But they're done now, and dry fitted in the photo below.

HD41.310 boats and RU lockers

I still have two more boats to fit, whalers on davits at the rear of the shelter deck. But not just yet as it'll be too easy to knock them off. You can see the mounting holes for them. Deciding on and sourcing the required boats for the ship as at May 1941 was quite an exercise, hence the delay.
     That white bit of plastic towards the rear of the shelter deck is a positioning guide for the pompom magazine (now built) above which will be mounted a gun tub for a octuple pompom AA gun. I made that gun tub a while ago but made it too small (I took measurements from the wrong scale plans) so I had to make another. I can use the undersized tub in a future whiff. Around that white bit of plastic there are five r/u (ready use) lockers for 4-inch ammunition, and quite a few in and around the 4-inch gun positions. I've fitted 28 of them now, another half dozen still to fit. I've also fitted eight r/u lockers for the UP ammunition. With all that ammunition in that location, stored in lockers it is no wonder that Prinz Eugen's shell started a fire that couldn't be extinguished, and caused carnage among the crew stationed there. The 4-inch r/u lockers are 2.5mm wide, 1mm deep and 2mm high. The UP lockers are similar but 2mm wide. I've decided not to fit doors to them, or hinges and dogs (securing handles). 😁 Yeah, I know, I'm slack.
     I've masked and painted the scratch-plates at the bow that the anchor cables lie on, and on the grey mat in front of the model you can see the two anchors I've made. I'm not sure if I'll use these or make another two. The first level of the fwd superstructure has some Carley floats and boat's booms added to each side. So I've made some progress over this last week.
     Anyway, that's it for now. Stay safe in these times, and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 10

26 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

That book should be a good read

Jeff.
It is a very interesting book. Wish I’d read it years ago.

Jon

• Like 1

Looking good Jeff, indeed a milestone getting the main decks fixed in place , , I think my wife would rather I built 1:600! It's good to see a good taking shape with the updated knowledge on her likely colours, the grey antifouling sets her off nicely, in some ways it's easier to appreciate the hull lines without the red pulling your eye towards it all the time, 

• Like 1

On 03/04/2021 at 23:20, bbudde said:

Thanks for posting this as it shows how random life can be.

Regards.

Edit: This is a after coloured version of the fight at 0:43 min.. The orignal one was the B/w of the Prinz Eugen, but it gives you a better impression of that fateful day, when you have read the statements of Mr. Briggs at that moments.

What amazing footage, you can see the salvo's from Hood around Bismarck.   

• Like 1

Gidday All, thank you for your kind comments and interest. Here's the latest on my 1941 version of HMS Hood. I've done a dry fit test fit of nearly everything I've made to date.

HD41.330 dry fit test 1

With the exception of the shelter deck, first level of the fwd superstructure, the aft superstructure (which is molded on), anchors, shafts and rudder and the 40+ ready-use ammo lockers everything you see here is dry fitted. As you can see I've made the seven twin 4-inch guns but not fitted the octuple pompom mounts or the quad .50cal machine guns yet. I might make my own quad 50s if I can't find another good one (I've got three good ones and some poor specimens). I've made the platforms for the aft quad 50s, those circular platforms with two ammo boxes abreast the aft superstructure. The four tear-drop shaped items are searchlight platforms, still under construction. The top edges of the funnels aren't painted as I intend to try to make some funnel grills to go on top of them.

Well, this is as far as I've gone with this. I'm not renowned for my speed. I've got some more work to do on the fwd superstructure, plus busy the model up a bit more. It's nearly 10.30pm here so I'll call it quits for tonight. Stay safe, and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 6

• 4 weeks later...

Gidday All, I've completed my build of HMS Jamaica, WASMEx 2021 is over so I can now continue with my build of HMS Hood 1941 which I temporarily put on hold. I've got to get back into the mind-set so to speak, work out the continuity, where the heck I was up to? 😁 While I was doing that I've done a couple of little jobs that needed doing. These are painting the seven twin 4-inch AA guns, which I've started, and this evening I've made the funnel grills.

HD41.340 funnel grills

These are made from 2mm styrene rod, heated and stretched down to about 0.2mm (I've stretched this stuff down to 0.1mm in the past but that's a bit too thin to work with). I built these direct onto the funnel tops. I did the three cross-members first, then the fore-and-aft piece, then finally the diagonals. As you can see, they still need a trim then a paint job. But that's tomorrow.
     So that's it for now. Continue to stay safe, and regards to all, Jeff.

• Like 10

Must admit that when I do a funnel I think something needs to busy it up inside 'cos they weren't empty, there was all manner of pipes and ladders in 'em!

If I ever get a 350 Hood cheap enough I'm still very temped to do a post refit WHIF!

Maybe after the lotto draw next week🤣

Tom

• Like 2

Gidday Guys, thanks for your responses. I paint the inside of funnels black to hide the lack of fittings there, but 1/600 is a bit small for me to add those things, even if I knew what to install there. 🙂

A post refit whif would be interesting I think. I've got one more Airfix Hood in the stash. Maybe a future model for me too. I've seen images of such a whif with a secondary battery of 5.25-inch turrets. I think I'd go with 4.5-inch BD mounts myself. HMS Hood's shelterdeck would be perfect for them. But that's just personal choice. And good luck with Lotto. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 3