Airfix 1/48 Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer S Mk.2b Gulf War "Longmorn", March 1991 + FINISHED +

Icarus

Hi everyone.  Would like to join with this classic.  I know there are some issues with warping of these kits, but they do look like they build out well with a bit of effort>

PeKx_HCh9DLlA8PvPwWXbodJQgYtpribfO8RBASe

PSYuZB90GO-Aolgdrq_04y_c4raijAnaWzHF3zKx

xdfBI11YaBAJDmVs10u6NmfQlm3kDnFlufn4i_VO

Should be fun.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Afternoon all.  Managed to make a start on this.  I am planning to do everything OOB, so although I don't usually add flight crew I will obviate the need for seat belts by adding them.

D7cjpaHyPB87hdf6xWpI_W1Gy15FMYR_B4jCuFzK

They appear to either be in "tropical" flying suits, or they have borrowed some from their Bahraini Air Force colleagues on the same base!

BTW I did a test fit of the two fuselage halves - this will be fun.  "Warp" speed here we come...

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

Actually I seem to remember mine went together quite well, the only poor fit being the air brakes at the back. Of course I used a replacement resin nose and grafted on some Matchbox intakes, which are a slightly better shape, but then again they do not have the small intakes on the underside which Airfix do include, so a bit of "Swings and Roundabouts" if you know what I mean. You may wish to look at re-positioning or re-shaping the chaff/flare dispensers Airfix provide as I gather they were somewhat different in the Gulf - I think that is covered on Rob's build thread.

Good luck.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

Actually I seem to remember mine went together quite well, the only poor fit being the air brakes at the back. Of course I used a replacement resin nose and grafted on some Matchbox intakes, which are a slightly better shape, but then again they do not have the small intakes on the underside which Airfix do include, so a bit of "Swings and Roundabouts" if you know what I mean. You may wish to look at re-positioning or re-shaping the chaff/flare dispensers Airfix provide as I gather they were somewhat different in the Gulf - I think that is covered on Rob's build thread.

Good luck.

Pete

Remember @PeterBthis is the 1/48 Airfix kit. I am sure that Matchbox did not make a Bucc in this scale.

G'day Ic,

I don't know why people insist on perpetuating the myth that the fuselage halves in this kit are 'warped' when they are not. The lower half is the issue. this is mainly due to the large opening for the weapons bay insert. Once this part is added, the lower fuselage half is considerably less flimsy.

The fit of the two fuselage halves is still terrible when a dry fitting but if you glue to fuselage in stages you will have a reasonable fit. There are several ways to do this. I would reccomend starting at the nose and working back to the intake on one side, and starting from the exhaust on the opposite side and working back to the wing root. Let that dry overnight and then do the opposite sides the next time.  Finally run some glue along the wings and clamp.Although it is annoying to do this over several sessions, you will get a far better result. 

The kit also includes the lower sections of the air intakes with the lower fuselage half. I found it better to cut these sections off and attach to the intakes directly then add the completed intakes to the assembled fuselage,

cheers,

Pappy

Quite agree with the last comment - and hey presto here we are with the staged closing.  All looking ok so far, and fit is fine!

m8TYQNyjOrSOhqpfegRE-fbSjmMq3fhOaKz-peER

There's a bit of extruded glue/plastic at the joins, but this is planned - sanding this back with )hopefully) ensure no major gaps.  We shall see...

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 4

So, in the end, the fuselage went together without too much drama.  This is the state of play this morning.

0T2Dnul7CYlBKW1-3wurblpPUub4_-4N13iDM7ib

I have just placed the engine intakes and outlets in their recesses and likewise the tail isn't fixed yet.  All of them have pretty good fits, so I'm not expecting any drama there.  I will then need to do a bit of filling at those wing fold joints, before laying down the rest of the Desert Sand colour.

This is proceeding much faster than I imagined, so there may even be time to do another build for this GB - I'm thinking a "What If" Operation Granby TSR-2, if that's permitted??  Otherwise, the Eduard/Heller 1/48 French AF Mirage 2000C that's sitting in the vault.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

• Like 7

On 3/16/2021 at 7:27 PM, Jabba said:

Remember @PeterBthis is the 1/48 Airfix kit. I am sure that Matchbox did not make a Bucc in this scale.

Oops - missed that!

Pete

On 3/25/2021 at 7:39 PM, Icarus said:

So, in the end, the fuselage went together without too much drama.  This is the state of play this morning.

0T2Dnul7CYlBKW1-3wurblpPUub4_-4N13iDM7ib

I have just placed the engine intakes and outlets in their recesses and likewise the tail isn't fixed yet.  All of them have pretty good fits, so I'm not expecting any drama there.  I will then need to do a bit of filling at those wing fold joints, before laying down the rest of the Desert Sand colour.

This is proceeding much faster than I imagined, so there may even be time to do another build for this GB - I'm thinking a "What If" Operation Granby TSR-2, if that's permitted??  Otherwise, the Eduard/Heller 1/48 French AF Mirage 2000C that's sitting in the vault.

Thanks for looking,

Icarus

Lookin' good,

Don't forget to fill the weird oval shaped recess on the port engine hump. I am not sure what Airfix were thinking, perhaps they just intended it to be an oval panel but somehow it has ended up recessed? It wouldb't hurt to sc ribe in the canaopy retraction slot hehind the cockpit as well,

cheers,

Pappy

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone.  I have been off for a few days, so managed to complete this.  

iDLDzsUq93cDYKbf2YJ-vuCQSVjwJ8YbdjrMGICp

0aELPfdzH6qZoD4g3_EkDscTbiIPNy0hE2jRdG3b

The canopy is not attached, so the wo intrepid aviators can get a bit of air if I feel like it.

In the end, a relatively challenging build, but fantastic fun.

Thanks for looking, and I will post some piccies up in the Gallery before hot footing it over to the ANZAC GB for my Oz Canberra build!

Icarus

• Like 2

• Icarus changed the title to Airfix 1/48 Hawker Siddeley Buccaneer S Mk.2b Gulf War "Longmorn", March 1991 + FINISHED +

Ah - thanks for the spot - of course they're the wrong way round!  This is what happens when you finish your model in the middle of the night accompanied by Rioja...

Will rectify then update the Gallery photos.

• 3 weeks later...