SB-2. A tale of two Tus...

AdrianMF

7 hours ago, JWM said:

step or treshold

I think you mean the opening where the exhausts come out. The area was moulded completely open by FROG (daylight into the wheel wells) so I added a blanking plate, which did leave a step on the upper surface. ICM of course get this right by leaving the wing surface intact and providing an extra piece to go over the exhausts.

I thought nobody would notice, but now I guess I have to use some filler to level it up! :)

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I thought nobody would notice, but now I guess I have to use some filler to level it up! :)

Sorry, I noticed it because I was correcting this when I was pimping-up my 45-years old SB-2, in Spanish colours and it was not simple to do on glued model...:) As far as I remember it requires also some sanding of this step using fine file...

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

I admire this ability... I will have to try harder one day, because mine in MPM's  SB2 M103 are in strong orange colour... :(

Regards

J-W

12 minutes ago, JWM said:

strong orange colour..

Well if all goes well, I will have a few spare vac form and ICM bits left over if you need them...

FWIW, L to R FROG, AdrianMF, ICM (not trimmed, excluding windscreens):

8-C2-D001-C-492-A-457-F-8009-7738299297-

• Like 11

1 hour ago, AdrianMF said:

I will have a few spare vac form and ICM bits left over if you need them...

I will appreciete, many thanks!  :) 

I have now MPM (SB2 M103) and ICM ("normal SB2 M100") kits. The ICM I will do as USB trainer (scratch conversion with solid nose), so the nose canopy  I will have already from it to use in M103 model.. So in fact I will need only the pilot one, since the M103 I will do with turret. I will be happy if you will send one... :). What can I send you in return? Maybe resin copies of MPM's M103 engines nacelles to do M103 one from another ICM kit? 

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Martian said:

who needs ICM?

Thank you Martin. I do! While messing with the FROG kit is fun, anyone who builds it when they could be building the ICM is just bonkers.

Ah, obviously, not me...

Regards,

Adrian

• Haha 4

6 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Thank you Martin. I do! While messing with the FROG kit is fun, anyone who builds it when they could be building the ICM is just bonkers.

Ah, obviously, not me...

Regards,

Adrian

Strangely enough, you have me thinking of digging my own FROG kit out but I'm not bonkers, just barking mad! Wibble!

Martian 👽

(Today I have been mostly modelling with a pair of @general melchett's battle pants on my head and a pencil up each of my five nostrils.)

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

7 hours ago, Martian said:

battle pants on my head and a pencil up each of my five nostrils

Well, we all have our strategies for getting through lockdown...

What, ICM you say?

Ah.

Oh...

Here we go, caught up to the FROG build stage, with considerably less drama, sanding or filler, in fact none of the last two yet:

D9240798-0-D77-4946-8-A7-A-8-EE7-DD92440

Although they are looking satisfyingly similar, on not-even-so-close inspection you can see the ICM kit is light years ahead, even after a bunch of improvements and corrections to the FROG. And just setting up for this photo shows me that I’m not done with filler on the FROG one yet!

[edit] An illustration of the ICM kit’s quality. I was playing with the bomb doors part, taken off the sprue but not cleaned up. I popped it in place, gave it a little push - there was a little “click” and it fits perfectly!

2076-CA93-A29-A-423-C-A730-69-C7142-C1-E

• Like 14

15 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Well, we all have our strategies for getting through lockdown...

If its good enough for @general melchett, then it should be good enough for the rest of us, although admittedly he only uses two pencils. "What's that? He sticks a pencil up there as well? Trust Darling to split on him!". I stand corrected. I have it on good authority, (Lady Melchett) that he uses three pencils these days. :yikes:

Martian (The Galaxy's leading gossip columnist) 👽

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

what with the mods and Vacforming

Thanks Chris! I have to keep reminding myself to keep sticking the ICM kit together so it doesn't fall too far behind!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1

Amazing modelling on a high scale Adrian...no surprise there!  I am just curious, what scheme will you be using?  I am rooting for a Republican Spanish aircraft for at least one...Russian the other, obviously!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, John Masters said:

Amazing modelling on a high scale Adrian...no surprise there!  I am just curious, what scheme will you be using?  I am rooting for a Republican Spanish aircraft for at least one...Russian the other, obviously!

other chances: Chinese? Finnish? (no, they used M103 variant), Bulgarian? German? Czech? Slovak? And in case of Spain - both sides.

J-W

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marklo said:

Frog kits were considered hi tech

I always remember being either really delighted or really disappointed when I got a FROG kit as a kid. Pretty much the same as now! 

They often look more foreboding than they are. I built the (prop) Corsair last year from a two quid baggie with no expectations and it turned out to be a complete joy.

4 hours ago, John Masters said:

Republican Spanish

I think I’m going to go for “46” with the green shadow shading over sand/red-brown with a light grey underside, possibly with a blue cast to hedge my bets. It seems logical and well enough documented - I can’t quite bring myself to speculate on whether some of the splotchy schemes in black and white photos were in fact intricate green and/or sand and/or red-brown patterns. And all brown (although the best documented scheme) seems a bit dull. And I thought Russian schemes were a bit of a minefield!

The ICM will be “Russian Red 4” with green squiggles over (I’m now thinking) aluminium. So there will be one splotchy/squiggly and one in uniform colours.

2 hours ago, JWM said:

Chinese? Finnish? (no, they used M103 variant), Bulgarian? German? Czech? Slovak? And in case of Spain - both sides.

I was tempted by the Czech one but I didn’t fancy overall grey. If the Finns had used the flat fronted engine it would have been a shoo-in!

Well apart from researching colour schemes all day (AKA randomly browsing the ‘net) I got to the undercarriage doors.  Frog give you some doors that actually fit in the closed position quite well, but they are very chunky and uneven. So I made a balsa former and moulded some plastic card over it to make doors that fit and also look reasonably thin:

DC73-C701-304-B-47-A6-97-DF-8-A9024940-C

I’ve also filled in the holes for the bomb racks because Spanish planes didn’t have them. Shame, I was going to hang some huge spare bombs under the wing!

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 9

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

I think I’m going to go for “46” with the green shadow shading over sand/red-brown with a light grey underside, possibly with a blue cast to hedge my bets.

That sounds about right.  And plenty of room for paint chipping, etc...I think.

5 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

The ICM will be “Russian Red 4” with green squiggles over (I’m now thinking) aluminium.

Very nice.  I am looking forward to both!

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JWM said:

Finnish? (no, they used M103 variant)

There was in early stage that one or two planes were in M100 configuration. Those were modified to M103 standard. I don't have my books with me now, so I can't check identity of planes. Maybe @Kari Lumppio remembers what were those planes and when?

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

one or two planes were in M100 configuration.

No-o-o-ooooo! :frantic: Thanks for the info but I’ve made my choices. I will be doing more Finnish aircraft in future (I did a Blenheim ages ago and liked the scheme) but I’m sticking to Spanish and Russian for these two!

Regards,

Adrian 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Vesa Jussila said:

There was in early stage that one or two planes were in M100 configuration. Those were modified to M103 standard. I don't have my books with me now, so I can't check identity of planes. Maybe @Kari Lumppio remembers what were those planes and when?

The very last chance is fast googling ;) - in description it is said that it is SB-8

Tupolev-SB-2M100A-FAF-SB-8-crashed-on-ta

But the "red 4" is really a temptation

Art-Tupolev-SB-2M100A-VVS-Red-4-Russia-1

Regards

JW