SB-2. A tale of two Tus...

AdrianMF

Great result Adrian would never have believed that is a Frog offering, looking forward to seeing the ICM one now

Stay safe              Roger

• Thanks 1

Nice one, Adrian. I've just caught up with this build and it looks great.

A friend bought me the Novo boxing of this kit for my 13th birthday in South Africa back in the 1980s, complete with short-shot undercarriage legs. On opening the wrapping paper and discovering a kit of an aeroplane I didn't recognise, by an unfamiliar model manufacturer (I was a committed Matchbox fan), I can still remember trying hard not to look put out when my friend said to me, "I've never heard of it, but it was the cheapest one in the shop". Oh. Thanks.

I'm as impressed as everyone else by the tidy handpainted numbers, with clear 'how-to' photos too. 

Cheers.

Jon

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

46 minutes ago, Jonners said:

trying hard not to look put out

I think there was an element of masochism when I saw it for sale at SMW 2017 or 2018 - I was like “terrible kit, but it’s FROG and it’s cheap!”. I’ve actually enjoyed messing with it but to be perfectly honest I’m not sold on the Spanish colour scheme.

3 hours ago, Hamden said:

looking forward to seeing the ICM

Me too. Although that’s a nice kit so I will have nobody to blame but me :) I am looking forward to a green squiggles over silver scheme though - I suspect it will be more challenging to do than I am expecting right now. Don’t know whether to do them as straightforward brush squiggles or to try to mottle them, leaning toward the former option.

4 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

fantastic subject

It is indeed. The Russian Blenheim. Not quite sure how they managed to pull them all out of front-line service so quickly whereas the RAF soldiered on with the Blenheim for longer, it seems.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Not quite sure how they managed to pull them all out of front-line service so quickly whereas the RAF soldiered on with the Blenheim for longer, it seems.

Probably because they had all either been shot down or destroyed on the ground in the opening days of Barbarossa.

AW

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Wow! Loved spending this morning reading this thread. Did half, went on a dog walk with an old friend (socially distanced) and finished off after a late breakfast. The way you are effortlessly ploughing through creating new canopies, balsa formers for doors number masks aaaand painting with a hairy stick. I’m in total admiration of your work. Soo good. I’m just glad I have one more to follow in real time. I’ll pull up a sand bag if I may. 

Johnny.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Spadgent said:

Loved spending this morning reading this thread

Gosh Johnny, thanks! I’d rather be reading your Hind thread (y’know, proper modelling and gorgeous results) than finding out how some cheapskate bashes together old toys. Still, if it keeps us happy...

Before I get to Tu two I have a build to get out of my system here, but I’m looking forward to the contrast!

8 minutes ago, Massimo said:

It makes you look forward to build one of these oldies!!!!

I only build these kits as a warning to others! :fraidnot:

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Just came across this thread. I'm just starting an ICM Spanish Civil war boxing of the SB-2 and have enjoyed looking at your build so far. The Frog one looks a superb job and in the same scheme and markings to the one I'm doing. 

:goodjob:

Davey

• Thanks 1

On 3/20/2021 at 11:54 PM, fubar57 said:

I'm not saying its the be all end all but it works for me. Many, many people struggle with and hate Vallejo paints but I love them. Their early colours were questionable but seem to be better now and I really like their metallics

Since getting back into the hobby a few years ago and buying a decent airbrush I've used Vallejo ModelAir, some ModelColor and their Undercoat almost exclusively. I leave overnight if doing masking and never, ever had lifting of the paint using Tamiya tape or Blu-Tac.

Davey.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

the same scheme

Hi Davey - presumably you are doing the ICM one? As far as the scheme goes, I'm sure that the canopy frames weren't left silver (but it does look nice - I could believe light grey though) and I think the gunner's windscreen was either clear or a lighter colour. I'm sure you are looking at the same two or three pictures here that I used so I will say no more, and will look forward to seeing yours in due course!

4 hours ago, DaveyGair said:

never, ever had lifting

Let me be clear: it's not a Vallejo problem, it's me!! I am terribly impatient with paint drying and masking and I ask for trouble on a regular basis.

Regards,

Adrian

[edit] it looks like I also missed the higher windscreen with the mirror...

• Like 1

Adrian, many thanks!  :) 

BTW - have you seen interesting raised variant of main canopy in late variants of SB-2

0109-f1.jpg

0109-lpr.jpg

(from Massimo  Tessitori web page).

Regards

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 6

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Well the Milliput on my Type 142 is taking an age to dry, so rather than start yet another new project I thought I’d finish the engines for this one and clean up the propellers:

BAC441-FC-427-F-4-D7-E-A360-40-EDB8-C5-B

I can do some filling and sanding next and move on to paint!

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, AdrianMF said:

Well the Milliput on my Type 142 is taking an age to dry,

Oh er, I hate to say it but I find  when milliput stays tacky, it stays tacky :(   

Not to tell a seasoned modeller like you what to do, but  I have two tricks I use with it.

First I use a little kitchen scales to make sure I have equal parts ( ah where’s @CedB lately) and then when I’m mixing it I put a few drops of a dark coloured acrylic in so as to be able to tell when it’s fully mixed. If you pick a nice colour you get a lovely pastel effect :) 

Edited by Marklo
  • Thanks 1

On 27/08/2021 at 17:18, Major Flannel said:

chunky ailerons

You pretty much have to carve your own out of the chunk of plastic they give you! It’s a surprising anomaly in an otherwise delicate kit.

1 hour ago, Marklo said:

milliput

It’s getting harder now. (you’re right, where is @CedB?) It is now not marking when I stick my fingernail in the leftover piece.

I do the repeated folding in half thing to mix it - by the time you’ve done that 30-odd times there should be over a billion layers, each one thinner than the size of an atom! This is the penultimate pair of pea-sized lumps from an old packet, so I will leave the job overnight to really set and consider chucking the last bit away.

Regards,

Adrian

• 1 month later...

Not touched this relic from the (my) Spring Offensive since October so I thought I’d fill it and sand it down, then glue on all the doors-y bits so I can undercoat it:

31-F28-BFB-4-DEF-46-DC-AB33-567-DA2-D337

1155-C787-CB34-4-E86-91-D6-0901898-DE7-D

I am going to go for a Soviet scheme of brushed Vallejo aluminium with green squiggles over the topsides.

• Like 7