viking ship

steve5

after the bismarck and the arizona , I need to do something a bit lighter , thus the viking ship .

spacer.png

not a lot of parts

spacer.png

spacer.png

don't know about the sail stencil , probably wont use it .

spacer.png

should be fun .

• Like 9

agreed greg , I really don't believe they were that elaborate , will see when the time comes .

got the two halves glued together .

spacer.png

I have taken the knees off of the deck and will build my own . I am leaving the one's on the crone for the time being , they don't look too bad .

spacer.png

this looks ok for the display board .

spacer.png

• Like 6

This is the beauty of doing something like a Viking ship. You can make them as elaborate or as plain as you like and either one could or could not be accurate. Personally I feel they would have been pretty elaborate. They had a lot of downtime where painting up a shield would be a practical hobby. Not a Viking era expert but shields would be a very individualized item and I can not for one minute believe they would all be plain or uniform. 

I would use the decals but weather them enough that they would not be so garish and end up looking painted. 

thanks guys for the comments , 

arjan , really enjoyed that article , probably will use the decals now , with a bit of heavy weathering .

I am currently waiting on some styrene to make the knees required . wont be here till early next week .

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
17 minutes ago, steve5 said:

a bit of builders tip , make sure where you are cutting , when taking pieces off of the sprue , save's a lot of work . 😳

Hey, I filed a patent on that process years ago! :rofl2:

• Like 1

cheers , dn142 , I'll try not to use it again mate . 🙂

got the knees done , and a few bits on the aft and fore sections . 

they still need a lot of sanding .

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 8

thanks for the comments guy's . 

blacknight  , don't know about the chests , have to wait and see what mood i'm in mate . 😉

moarein . been following your build too , I have built 2 victories 1805 , 1765 . had real fun with them .

made a new wooden mast and spar , still need to make 1 more , the plastic one's were very weak .

spacer.png

Edited by steve5
  • Like 9

thank's guy's , but I have a bit of problem , can anyone tell me how the spar was rigged to the mast , in other words what did the rope go through at the top of the mast to pull the spar up , and what did it tie of at the bottom of the mast . did they just drill a hole through the top of the mast ? I know what the parrell look's like . any help will be appreciated .

Edited by steve5