1/48th A-4N Skyhawk IAF - completed

trickyrich

Ok this will be a place holder for a wee bit as I’m flat out on other builds. 

This is part of a sub-themed of builds I have planned, next is a F-16I SUFA and maybe later in the year an RF-4E(S). 

I have always liked the IDF A-4N and built the old Matchbox one many many years ago, this time I’m moving up a scale. Someone mention Rocking Horse   , Hasegawa’s A-4N isn’t that rare but they are frighteningly expensive!

So luckily Hasegawa do have a couple of Skyhawks with 95% of what you need to build one. Unfortunately the 2 other releases you need are pretty hard to get, but there is a 3rd lesser know option (you do need to know the sprue details for all the models).

Hasegawa produced the “Area-88” reboxings. They’ve taken 7 of there popular 1/48th jet range (they do some 1/72nd ones as well) and re-boxed them in this Manga type series. The result is most people know what the actual model is and don’t realize they are just re-boxes of the original models. This results in them usually being quite a bit cheaper, I got mine for quite a bit less then to normal version.

So this is the model, an A-4M that just happens to have most of what you need…

IMG_5270-L.jpg

……… the box is full of Hasegawa A-4 goodness…..

IMG_5271-L.jpg

…. and these will be off mostly to the rubbish bin!

IMG_5272-L.jpg

For the final bits needed for an A-4N Armycast IDF A-4N upgrade set will be used.

IMG_5273-L.jpg

Plus I’m throwing in an new cockpit for good measure, not sure of the differences between the M & N cockpits (if any) but due to the size of a Skyhawk cockpit I doubt you would be able to see.

IMG_5334-L.jpg

Finally I have a bucket load of IDF decals to use, I just need to select a squadron, plus a couple of good books on IDF Skyhawks.

IMG_5274-L.jpg

I may have to add some stores as well, as usual Hasegawa don’t supply any!   :fuyou_2:

• Like 11

Oh yes, a very nice choice Rich.

Couldn't have an A-4 GB without having an IDF build or two as they have been such an important user of the type and only finally retired them relatively recently. Looks like you have all you need for your build, including your obligatory resin goodies.

Really looking forward to this one mate.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Gee it was easy to find this thread, it was right at the bottom! Ok I’m finally starting this one, hopefully it won’t be the disaster the Phantom was!

So first off the messy and troublesome bit, fitting the new Aires cockpit! Why do I do this to myself!!! :wall:

Ok lets make this very clear form the start…I’ve done a lot of cockpit changes in the past using Aires cockpits, which as a rule are a real pain in the butt to fit, I’ve even fitted these cockpits into models they were never intended to fit with less drama. But this one I rate as a 10/11 out of 10 for the worse and most difficult one I’ve ever fitted. I'm talking serious thinning of bits, those cockpit wells are super thin. I even had to trim the detail part of the side panels in the cockpit tub to get it to fit.

It sort of looks ok and nice a clean here, but it is going to take some serious clamping to get it to stay together.

IMG_5596-L.jpg

The floor of the cockpit and roof of the nose wheel well are paper thin and as can be seen even less so in places. If you build up the cockpit tub first as the instructions say you’ll never get it to fit. Unless you cut out the cockpit completely and used the resin tubs for the fuselage walls.......and even then I doubt it'll fit. 

IMG_5601-L.jpg

Just do yourselves a huge favour and avoid this combo like the plague!!! Strangely doing the same conversion with my A-4K (-E) was simple and quite straightforward.

Whilst in the mode (well not really after the cockpit dramas) I chopped off some other parts for new bits……

….. the new exhaust pipe, for fit and just general ease I’ve attached the internal pipe to it as well……..

IMG_5597-L.jpg

….. plus the new Strike Camera (?) to the port side wheel fairing, this is a nice new resin bit, plus the wing is together as well, so it’s already for cleaning up.

IMG_5602-L.jpg

IMG_5599-L.jpg

I am using Hasegawa’s A-4N instructions for this build to help ensure I am using the correct bits and I didn’t realize that there are 2 nose options, I’m going to have to make sure I use the correct one. Which sort of reminds me I must decide on a scheme well Squadron.

IMG_5598-L.jpg

The “hump” like on the -K (-E) model needs tape to hold it together while gluing, not the greatest of fits. I’ve test fitted the intakes and found removing the locating pin on the rear of them really helps to get a perfect fit.

IMG_5600-L.jpg

With all the chopping completed I can paint everything, progress should be really straightforward now that rotten cockpit is sorted!

• Like 8

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th A-4N Skyhawk IAF - started finally!!

Great to see this one (finally) underway Rich.

Oh dear, the Aries cockpit. We have already had one build fall foul of this resin cockpit from hell, if anyone else is contemplating using this then you have been warned! I hope that you manage to get the fuselage together.

I am doing a similar thing to you by using the instructions for the version I want to build with the kit that I have to make sure I am using the correct aerials etc, makes life a lot easier doesn't it. I also found that by removing the locating pins from the intakes that you can actually get them to line up, a very simple bu effective fix.

The new strike camera looks like a good fit and I would think that the extended exhaust pipe should fit without too many issues.

Looking forward to your next update mate.

• Like 1

On 3/31/2021 at 9:18 AM, Dansk said:

Good luck with the cockpit rich. I had a nightmare with it.

yeah it was lots of hard work!!! :wall:

Ok folks you’d better strap yourselves in as this is a BIG update, she’s caught up to the A-4K!

First up some new goodies have arrived, new resin wheels from ResKit plus the big bomb for her….a GBU-8B HOBOS!!!! :thumbsup:

IMG_5620-L.jpg

…..and said HOBOS undercoated, she’s going on the centreline pylon.

IMG_5624-L.jpg

So back to my nightmare…….fitting the Aires cockpit which actually doesn’t fit! So after even more thinning and sanding I primed the cockpit…….sort of living in hope doing that would make it fit………it didn’t!

IMG_5607-L.jpg

So after more fiddling I completed most of the painting of the cockpit, being so small most of it won’t be seen so I didn’t get carried away.

IMG_5621-L.jpg

Inbetween all this I did other bits to help preserve what little sanity I had left…..

….bits were paint white and red……

IMG_5608-L.jpg

IMG_5609-L.jpg

……. then made dirty………

IMG_5622-L.jpg

……… and some bits fitted……..

IMG_5623-L.jpg

…….. then back to the inevitable, fitting the cockpit!

I found fitting the RHS first was the best way to go it’s superglued so it’s going nowhere ever………… 

IMG_5632-L.jpg

……next the nose wheel well is just positioned in place……..

IMG_5633-L.jpg

….. just sitting there this is the gap I have……

IMG_5635-L.jpg

But just some light finger pressure and it’s gone. Ok around this time I found out that the instrument panel would fit at all and required more removing of plastic and resin!

IMG_5636-L.jpg

Now a big jump and then finally the fuselage wings and just about everything else just flew together! Actually the wing fitted much better than it did on the A-4K!

IMG_5637-L.jpg

IMG_5638-L.jpg

Even the IP sort of now fits properly, I still have to glue it in place.

IMG_5639-L.jpg

And finally she’s altogether……

IMG_5640-L.jpg

…….there was/is some tiding up to do on the nose loin, but that’s a simple task.

IMG_5641-L.jpg

Here she is with her weapons loadout, The GBU on the centreline, a pair of drop tanks (I have found some photos of these finned tanks with no fins fitted, not sure which way to go here) and on the outside pylons a pair of AIM-9D Sidewinders though I could also fit a pair of AGM-45 Shrikes. Either of these were fitted to the A-4N’s when carrying the GBU-8. The sidewinders came from the Phantom kit, the missile shoes were in the kit.

IMG_5610-L.jpg

IMG_5642-L.jpg

And finally with her Cuzzie Bro! :D

IMG_5643-L.jpg

IMG_5644-L.jpg

And there is a finally ....... the scheme, I’ve decided 102 Squadron “Ha’Namer Ha’Meofeef” The Flying Tigers. My only concern is the weapons load, I think it maybe to early for the flying tiger on the tail, it was used from 1997 onwards, before that the the tiger wasn’t there, and rudder was blue & white. Will have to hunt up more photos.

IMG_5645-L.jpg

Israeli_A4_Hazterim_260608_2-600x450.jpg

• Like 9

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th A-4N Skyhawk IAF - BIG update!!

Wow Rich, that is quite some update!

Good job on beating the cockpit into submission, I imagine the resin and plastic must be paper thin in places.

I do like the scheme with the Tiger on the tail so I hope you are able to find pictures of one in that scheme with the HOBOS.

• Like 1

Looks brilliant rich, i did the same thing with the cockpit but then the clear parts were too narrow for the bulged cockpit area of the fuselage. I would suggest leaving the canopy open and being extra careful with the front glazing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dansk said:

Looks brilliant rich, i did the same thing with the cockpit but then the clear parts were too narrow for the bulged cockpit area of the fuselage. I would suggest leaving the canopy open and being extra careful with the front glazing.

Actually the clear parts fit perfectly (on both), will the some photos!! I have added the PE bits to the insides, they've been drying for a couple of days. Will mask them up and paint them (and A-4K's) probably tomorrow.

• Like 1

ok why is this thread always at the bottom of the list...... me being slack probably and not updating! :D

Ok if anyone has been following the A-4K build then they will know I found out the issues with the wing and spoilers on the Hasegawa models! Life would have been so much easier if I had of found this out earlier…..oh well.

IMG_5647-L.jpg

So out with my new/old saying …..”when in doubt get the razor saw out!!”  :D (that would make a great t-shirt :hmmm:)

……. this time though it wasn’t as easy to correct as it was with the K. 

Again, I carefully cut out the spoiler recess (?) on the wing but unfortunately this time I had glued the wings together properly so I couldn’t split the cut-out section off.

So I carefully raised rear of the cut section until it was flush with the wing. I needed to add a thin strip of 10thou plastic strip to fill the gap.

IMG_5652-L.jpg

Plus as can be seen I thinned the trailing edge of the spoiler as well.

I repeated this on the other spoiler.

IMG_5653-L.jpg

I needed a wee bit more filler on this one (LH)  than I needed on the K (RH).

IMG_5654-L.jpg

But it turned out ok….not sure which wing this belongs too, but you get the idea.

IMG_5656-L.jpg

The undercoat and pre-shading squiggles are done and she’s ready for painting…again.

IMG_5655-L.jpg

Plus a lot of parts for both of them.

IMG_5658-L.jpg

I haven’t been able to find a photo of the aircraft with the HOBOS and the correct Sqn markings, only one in the 105Sqn Dragon’s markings. So while the weapons config is legit I can’t prove the config, but I have a work around for it.

• Like 6

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th A-4N Skyhawk IAF - spoiling the fun!!

I think that you sorted the slats very well Rich, especially considering the wings had been glued together and you will remember for when you next build an A-4. Thinning the trailing edge of the slats is a very good idea and I hadn't thought of that, might need to pay mine a visit with a sanding stick.

Nice bit of pre-shading, should give some nice variation in the colours.

• Thanks 1

I think I was in a bit of a hurry with the Skyhawk builds, the Phantom was the main one, these were just extra's so I didn't do a lot of research on them as I would normally. So I completely missed the spoiler issue, if I hadn't read those other builds. Than as you know once you see an issue you just can't forget or dismiss it. Anyway all is sorted now.

Ok painting time!!!

First off some masking, I’m doing this all a bit backwards for a change and to try it out. I’ll paint her then do the red areas which have been masked. Not to sure how this will go but hey….

The underside was painted first Lt. Ghost Grey (FS 36375) then masked up,

IMG_5660-L.jpg

Next up some masking than a coat of Sand (FS 33531). Normally I’d just paint the areas I needed to be painted with this base colour, but this time I decided to paint the entire upper surface. I’ll see if it’s easier doing it this way.

IMG_5659-L.jpg

It does look very pale in the photos but in natural light it looks ok. I’m using AK Interactive Real Colors, being really thick out of the bottle it’s thinned down around 60:40 or maybe more (thinner to paint), it just goes on like a dream and gives a super tough finish.

Next up will be Dk. Tan (FS 30219) then Green (FS 34227). Unfortunately, I don’t have the Green in Real Color, only Gunze. So, I’ll have to spray this one last, normally it would be next, just in case there is some reaction with the lacquer paint……which I very much doubt.

The only issue with lacquer paints is they show up ANY issues with joins or filler….and I found some after painting, the under coat/pre-shading completely hide them. The one nice thing is that they are easy to correct and re-hide with lacquer paint.

• Like 5

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th A-4N Skyhawk IAF - painting

Finally catching up with this one Rich.  Coming in late is quite good really because, despite all the trials with the cockpit, I know that everything turned out all right in the end! :goodjob:

• Thanks 1

Well I managed to find some time to continue paint this wee beasty, and I dropped the next colour on which was the Tan after the usual masking exercise.

IMG_5663-L.jpg

IMG_5664-L.jpg

To help with the demarcation lines for the next colour I removed all the masks……..and it really didn’t help me at all in the end! 

IMG_5665-L.jpg

I was going to leave it like this but as I was on a roll (I even managed to finish painting the K as well) I moved on to the Green.

My experiment with the slightly different way of masking didn’t actually help as I did have to do some re-sparyt work to correct some off demarcation lines…..and I still have a couple of re-does to do.

IMG_5669-L.jpg

IMG_5668-L.jpg

But she looks good, the next job to do (in a couple of days) is to remask and paint all the red bits and the intake lips.

IMG_5671-L.jpg

I have my backup centreline store all ready…

IMG_5670-L.jpg

…..but I really do prefer the GBU-8 HOBOS, so I will stick with that one.

IMG_5667-L.jpg

IMG_5666-L.jpg

Interestingly there is a huge variation with the camo patterns on these aircraft which didn’t help with the masking!  Plus they were very faded so once the decals are on she will be faded quite drastically.

One issue I know I’m going to have is the font for the aircraft numbers, it’s quite unusual and I know there aren’t any decals available….or easy to get.

Oh and here she is with her little cuzzie Bro!  :D

IMG_5676-L.jpg

• Like 11

• trickyrich changed the title to 1/48th A-4N Skyhawk IAF - painting completed
34 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

One issue I know I’m going to have is the font for the aircraft numbers, it’s quite unusual and I know there aren’t any decals available….or easy to get.

Hi Rich @trickyrich, fanastic work on both Skyhawks. :thumbsup:

What serials are you after?

I have an extensive collection of IDF/AF decals and will gladly donate what you need for this build. 

/Bosse

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Me again!

Great job on your A-4N Rich, I really like the colours used by the Israelis on their A-4's and other aircraft from that time and the ones you have used look to be an excellent match and to have gone on very well too.

I have got a few Israeli A-4 numbers if Bosse can't help.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Marlin said:

Hi Rich @trickyrich, fanastic work on both Skyhawks. :thumbsup:

What serials are you after?

I have an extensive collection of IDF/AF decals and will gladly donate what you need for this build. 

/Bosse

Hi Bosse, hear is a link to a photo of some A-4N's in a museum (?) in Israeli, they're at the bottom. You can see the style of the numbers I'm after on most of the jets, quite a few are from the Flying Tiger squadron. The only decal set I know that has them is the original decals that came with the Hasegawa release.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/model/Douglas A-4N Skyhawk

26 minutes ago, trickyrich said:

Hi Bosse, hear is a link to a photo of some A-4N's in a museum (?) in Israeli, they're at the bottom. You can see the style of the numbers I'm after on most of the jets, quite a few are from the Flying Tiger squadron. The only decal set I know that has them is the original decals that came with the Hasegawa release.

https://abpic.co.uk/pictures/model/Douglas A-4N Skyhawk

Hi Rich, I can see two styles of font in these pictures, could you be more specific? 

One style is #359 (Type D) and the second is #316 (Type E)

Both fonts are present on the Sky's Decals sheet no-26 that I have, and I don't think I've used all of them, yet. :wicked:

[ing]skys48026.png

/Bosse

Edited by Marlin
Inserted picture for clarification.
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2