Hello everyone... This is my attempt to right a wrong. A few years ago a mentor of mine gave me about 30 models, one of which was the 1/48 Hasegawa Kahu Scooter. I unfortunately didn't realize the treasure I had in my possession at the time and built it as a USMC early “E” scooter. So in penance I will attempt to turn Hasegawa’s 1/72 E/F into a K type scooter. rzjWozz.jpg

I will be using these decals from old model decals out of New Zealand which look quite good. qtpvj6x.jpg

These are the kit decals and if everything goes pear shaped on the mod’s, I will fall back and do the VMAT-102 markings( big red bird and red tail). 

672O5eL.jpg

The obligatory sprue shots. nYWZwQC.jpg

drtxeKz.jpg

7rRkYzY.jpg

If all goes smoothly I may try to add a second scooter build after this one is done. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

Thanks Craig @modelling minion I will keep this here for quick reference. 

https://skyhawk.org/

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 5

Good choice Dennis, I think that Kiwi scooters are going to be a popular choice in the GB.

Those decals do look very nice, I haven't used any by that manufacturer before so am interested to see how they behave. I have every confidence in your ability to turn your E into a K. You might find this link useful;

http://hamfisted-modeller.blogspot.com/2020/06/modelling-rnzaf-skyhawk.html

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

You might find this link useful;

Thanks Craig, Ive P/messaged you about something pertaining to the group build. If you get a chance to look and respond  I would be grateful. 

• Like 1

Morning one and all... I was able to spend some time this afternoon and get this started. Like most of these older Hasegawa kits they're basic and build up quickly. c403cUL.jpg

Y78KQPR.jpg

MNE6idP.jpg

SfaOtDT.jpg

EhNQWjo.jpg

I will begin the modifications on the tail next. I actually found the tall tail bit from my old 1/48 Kahu boxing. I will try to use this to make a new piece by shrinking the dimensions. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 11

Good evening everybody... after finishing up the sanding polishing on my other builds I attacked this some more. First up I added the wings. zrPhoUO.jpg
Only little spot I really need is the top of the canopy and forward right corner of the hump, otherwise the fit is pretty good on top. The bottom on the other hand will need some work still. First issue is the flaps are too big for the openings in the lower wing. Second the wing recess on either side that the lower wing sits in is waaaay to shallow. So had to grind the lower wings to a wafer thin consistency outboard of the landing gear wells. Finally the area at the front will need some major sanding to level it out. PWsx8bF.jpg

I also attacked the vertical stab/Rudder extension, something I thought would be hard was actually pretty easy. WPJmNIZ.jpg

MuTOiwv.jpg

Thats about twice the height of the sliver I cut off so maybe not exact but close enough that it looks right. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 10

2 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

I also attacked the vertical stab/Rudder extension, something I thought would be hard was actually pretty easy. 

Hi Dennis,

Just caught up with your build.

That's actually a pretty novel idea.  A lot of times it's been add a piece to the leading

edge of fin, fill and sand - your method so much easier :thumbsup:

Looking good thus far.  I've been umming and arrhing about doing my RNZAF A4K in this GB,

given I have the 1/32 version of your model, maybe it's time to dust it off?

Regards

Alan

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Morning everyone... Bit more added tonight and the filling sanding polishing is all done. XgMJ3cb.jpg

ynUkBvX.jpg

brgYAxy.jpg

Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 9

That is really very nice work Dennis a great solution to the tail fin, very neat job.

Your are cracking on with your build and will be off to the paint shop before too long.

7 hours ago, LDSModeller said:

maybe it's time to dust it off?

Do it! There's always room for one more.

• Thanks 1

Very nice work on the fin cap - better fit than the one on the 1/48 Hasegawa kit (as I will no doubt find soon enough).

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

pist comments

I know better than to post on BM when I've been drinking!

• Haha 2

21 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

First issue us the flaps are too big

Nice to see that you have picked up a Kiwi accent for this build Dennis😝

Good to have advance warning of the fit issues and how to fix them for when I start my build.

AW

• Like 1

On 3/8/2021 at 12:10 PM, Andwil said:

Nice to see that you have picked up a Kiwi accent for this build Dennis😝

14 hours ago, zebra said:

At least you can blame the sausage fingers, the Kiwis actually talk like that!

Pair of cheeky gits. :P

Dennis, is your fin the same height as before or slightly taller? I seem to recall this may have been a feature of the Ks but not sure at all, I've several to do & want to get them right. This one is looking good.

Steve.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, stevehnz said:

Pair of cheeky gits. :P

Dennis, is your fin the same height as before or slightly taller? I seem to recall this may have been a feature of the Ks but not sure at all, I've several to do & want to get them right. This one is looking good.

Steve.

Thank you Steve... I cut off about a 1 mm strip from the original tail following a panel line. I then added a 2.5 mm piece in its place. I used this evergreen strip and tripled the thickness.
aQmz1gO.jpg

Then I cut it to shape and sanded it. I was actually surprised how quick and easy it was. I tried the same thing years ago to a P-51 Reno Racer build and it was a disaster. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Oh @stevehnz one more thing, the drogue chute housing and rwr’s on the tail. The main part of the housing is in the kit. Its an unused piece but was perfect size. The rounded nub under the tail pipe was a bit of sprue cut and filed to shape. The two RWR’s on the exhaust fairing are wing leading edge lamp’s, they're  left over over from another build but were the perfect shape and size for the bits needed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, John Masters said:

Brilliant 'Crossover GB' subject Dennis.  I won't tell...

😆

I have three builds over in the ANZAC, this will be my first A-4. Im planning on a few more builds from both countries over the course of this year. I know I have an F-4E slated as an RAAF bird in that group build, and an Australian based Cessna 172 for High Wings. Quite possibly an F-18 Hornet in that build as well as at least on more Spitfire from Australia. So I think 2021 will be my southern hemisphere year considering I have the SAAF Mirage and may add an F-86 from that A.F..

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Morning everyone... Bit of a delayed post as this was done last night(Wednesday). I was able to mount up the canopy on my builds tonight. BuoC5KJ.jpg

wIRO0bE.jpg

dWE5YnJ.jpg

I was able to mask up the canopy tonight so we’re into paint tomorrow. For this it will be the underside grey first. Please feel free to ask questions, post comments or add thoughts. 

Dennis

• Like 9