Fw190A-8 'white 11' - some questions...

Werdna

Hi all

I'm about to make a start on Hasegawa's 1/48 kit, which includes decal options for the above (WNr 681497), which appears to be a Fieseler built A-8. 

Link to a pic here: https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Fw-190A/JG4/pages/Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A8R2-5.JG4-White-11-Walter-Wagner-WNr-681497-USAAF-captured-1945-07.html

This seems to be a fairly well-documented a/c and there are a few colour pics around, including the one in the link above, but I'd still very much appreciate some input on a few questions, so here goes..

Leaving aside the 'weathered' condition of the a/c, the overall finish is reported to be 74/75/76, which would not be unusual for a period A-8.  However, some say the engine cowl panel (the one with the badge) is dark green (eg RLM82, perhaps), while others report it as being simply a fresher coat of RLM74.  Personally I'm leaning towards 74, but I'm open to suggestions on that.

Some reports of the cowling MGs being removed - is this correct?

Some say yellow panel under the engine cowl, but I can't see it and others say it's not there anyway.  Any thoughts?

Some pics suggest the wing camo appears to wrap over the wing leading edge, a bit like the Doras - but I can't see any further references or profiles which would provide further guidance - which is probably asking a lot, but there we are.

The shade of RLM76 appears to be particularly pale, although that might just be the film/exposure.  

Any comments, corrections or further input much appreciated.  Thanks in advance :) 

Hi Werdna, I have three photos of this aircraft that I have saved from various sources on the internet. My take on your questions are:

1. It does look like there might have been a rough coat (from a brush?) of 81 (darker than 82 I think) applied over the top of the engine cowl.

2. The stbd side of the under cowl is certainly 76 however the port side is definitely different, with what could be yellow, again roughly and lightly covered with a dark colour. Could be a replacement half of the lower cowl from an aircraft with yellow in this area and being toned down for ground camo purposes.

3 Port view from the front clearly shows that the upper surface of the wing camo finishes on the centerline of the leading edge as per standard application.

4. The 76 looks pale in two of the photos however the stbd view I have shows the cowling to have a bit more blue, so more like standard 76. 

Best I can do from the photos I have. hth

TRF

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/27/2021 at 10:12 PM, Werdna said:

Hi all

I'm about to make a start on Hasegawa's 1/48 kit, which includes decal options for the above (WNr 681497), which appears to be a Fieseler built A-8. 

Link to a pic here: https://www.asisbiz.com/il2/Fw-190A/JG4/pages/Focke-Wulf-Fw-190A8R2-5.JG4-White-11-Walter-Wagner-WNr-681497-USAAF-captured-1945-07.html

This seems to be a fairly well-documented a/c and there are a few colour pics around, including the one in the link above, but I'd still very much appreciate some input on a few questions, so here goes..

Leaving aside the 'weathered' condition of the a/c, the overall finish is reported to be 74/75/76, which would not be unusual for a period A-8.  However, some say the engine cowl panel (the one with the badge) is dark green (eg RLM82, perhaps), while others report it as being simply a fresher coat of RLM74.  Personally I'm leaning towards 74, but I'm open to suggestions on that.

Some reports of the cowling MGs being removed - is this correct?

Some say yellow panel under the engine cowl, but I can't see it and others say it's not there anyway.  Any thoughts?

Some pics suggest the wing camo appears to wrap over the wing leading edge, a bit like the Doras - but I can't see any further references or profiles which would provide further guidance - which is probably asking a lot, but there we are.

The shade of RLM76 appears to be particularly pale, although that might just be the film/exposure.  

Any comments, corrections or further input much appreciated.  Thanks in advance :) 

If it's a Sturmbock, the cowling guns would be removed I think? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, torqueofthedevil said:

If it's a Sturmbock, the cowling guns would be removed I think? 

Good question.  JG4 was previously a Sturmbock unit, but at the time the a/c was captured (emergency landing at a US ALG during Bodenplatte) I believe they were just engaged in general air-to-air and ground attack missions.  White 11 did still have the cockpit side armour, but the canopy armoured glass had been removed - either that or hadn't been fitted in the first place.  To further confuse things, USAF personnel stripped the a/c of its armament and drop tank fittings before getting it airworthy again, which seems to be the time that most of the pictures were taken.  So it's difficult to know what was originally fitted and what wasn't.

• Like 1