Airbrush newbie asks daft questions vol. 2

jackroadkill

Sorry folks, I'm back again with dumb questions about airbrushing.

I'm wondering about spraying metallic enamels (as base coats, NMF etc) but I don't know if there are any problems with this due to the physical make-up of the paint.  Can I just thin down a metallic enamel and rock on with it?

Thanks,

JRK

2 hours ago, jackroadkill said:

Sorry folks, I'm back again with dumb questions about airbrushing.

I'm wondering about spraying metallic enamels (as base coats, NMF etc) but I don't know if there are any problems with this due to the physical make-up of the paint.  Can I just thin down a metallic enamel and rock on with it?

Thanks,

JRK

Hello Jack I usually thin 50/50 on metallics but Im using Tamiya acrylics with larger particulate’s. I would think a mix of 50/50 and multiple light passes with enamel should work. I haven't used Enamels in 20 years. Not because I dont like them but I cant get any ? 

• Thanks 1

hi ,

you don't have a local Paint Shop or Auto Paint Repair ?

They usually sell/free Sample Pots of the Primary Colours.

If so checkout the Auto Paint Shops they can usually mix up F.S. Numbers etc for you in 250/500 mls.

cheery "stay safe 'n' model "mumbas !

Geoff

• Thanks 2

Let me put it this way: AK's line of Xtreme Metals is enamel and they're some of the best I've ever used. One thing I do is let them dry for several days, otherwise they feel just a bit sticky if I hold the parts for too long.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Hello Jack I usually thin 50/50 on metallics but Im using Tamiya acrylics with larger particulate’s. I would think a mix of 50/50 and multiple light passes with enamel should work. I haven't used Enamels in 20 years. Not because I dont like them but I cant get any ? 

Thanks Dennis, that's just what I was hoping would be the case.

8 hours ago, bmwh548 said:

Let me put it this way: AK's line of Xtreme Metals is enamel and they're some of the best I've ever used. One thing I do is let them dry for several days, otherwise they feel just a bit sticky if I hold the parts for too long.

That's a great tip; thanks very much.

Well, it looks like I need to get some silver / aluminium paint ordered, I think.

• Like 1

On 2/28/2021 at 2:01 AM, bmwh548 said:

AK's line of Xtreme Metals is enamel and they're some of the best I've ever used.

Another vote here for AK's Xtreme Metals.  Love the way they spray.  But hate the way they smell. :wacko:

40 minutes ago, jackroadkill said:

Another question regarding this; do you have to worry about gravity separation (metallic particles being heavy) whilst the paint mix is in the spray cup?

Not for the AK's. I have the entire range plus several bottles of the Black Base which makes a fantastic gloss black in its own right. I've had them sat in the cup for a while as I've been faffing about with the model but they still sprayed fine. 

I find it better to use my 0.5mm nozzle, Iwata HP-TH, for Mr Color and Alclad metallic paint. I also use that airbrush for primer, base, and clear coats.

I use a 0.3mm nozzle, Iwata HP-CH, for most other use. 

1 hour ago, jackroadkill said:

Another question regarding this; do you have to worry about gravity separation (metallic particles being heavy) whilst the paint mix is in the spray cup?

I never had that issue. Back in the day, when they were first released they had some bad batches, but that was fixed long ago. They spray beautifully, but yes, they have a certain odour like mentioned above. Nothing like an old school enamel as these I think are alcohol based enamels, but you still need good ventilation.

I typically spray them through the 0.4 nozzle on my Ultra.

Mr. Color's new range of metallics is also very nice (the Super Metallic 2) and they dry really fast.

• Like 1