Gulf Warrior, Kuwaiti A-4KU Desert Storm 1991. Finished!

24 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

That's looking absolutely superb Craig.  As was said earlier on in your build - the colour scheme you went for really sets the model off nicely and the almost finished product is proof you went for the right choice :thumbsup:

Cheers Kris, very kind of you to say so.

The more I look at it the more I like the scheme, which can only be a good thing.

• Like 1

Your wash is super sharp and looks fantastic. Did you need to do anything to the panel lines to get that uniform and fine finish? Other builders reported having to deepen certain lines and I was wondering if it was something I needed to do.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, spejic said:

Your wash is super sharp and looks fantastic. Did you need to do anything to the panel lines to get that uniform and fine finish? Other builders reported having to deepen certain lines and I was wondering if it was something I needed to do.

Thanks. 

No I didn't deepen any of the panel lines except for a few where I did some sanding to blend in the slats, other than that they are exactly how they were done by Hasegawa. 

Looks fantastic Craig.

Also doesn't look like a cat from the other angles. But I'm seeing a rabbit instead. Coming soon to a psychiatrist's couch near you: model aeroplane camouflage Rorschach tests!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, zebra said:

Looks fantastic Craig.

Also doesn't look like a cat from the other angles. But I'm seeing a rabbit instead. Coming soon to a psychiatrist's couch near you: model aeroplane camouflage Rorschach tests!

Thanks Julian,

Yes I wonder what it says about us depending on what shapes we see in the camouflage, probably best not to ask!

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Fabrice Simon said:

Great paintwork and your washes are perfect

52 minutes ago, Hewy said:

Superb  craig, very nice👍

Thank you Fabrice and Glynn, very much appreciated.

A bit under the weather today so no further progress to report, hopefully I will be able to get some more done tomorrow.

A bit later than I had planned (sorry about that) but it is time for an update.

In between bouts of feeling like 💩 (and not the multi coloured unicorn stuff) I have been working on the undercarriage and adding some wire to represent the brake lines and hydraulic lines and I also added a plastic cover that protects parts of the lines which go down the back of the nose gear strut that to the nose wheel steering unit. It may not seem like much work but it took me a while to do it and the nose gear now looks like this;

spacer.png

spacer.png

With the nose gear done it was time to tackle the main gear legs, much less trouble as there's only a couple of cables involved;

spacer.png

And withe gear legs fitted it was time to see if I put enough weight in the nose.........

spacer.png

Success!!!

As you can see above the canopy masking has been removed and I am pleased to report that it did it's job very well, here's a closer look at the cockpit area;

spacer.png

And with that done I have turned my attention to getting the gear covers and flaps and slats in place and the myriad of other little jobs which always seem to take me an age to complete and slow down the build process no end.

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, planecrazee said:

That's looking fantastic Craig - well done :thumbsup: Really like the work you've done on the undercarriage - it's those extra details that I always admire in a modelers work. 

Kris

Thanks Kris, its not a patch on what others can do but it adds a bit of interest to the gear legs.

• Like 1

Very slowly plodding away with this build, these final stages always seem to take me a very long time to complete.

The whizz bangery in the form of 5 Mk.20 Rockeye cluster bombs has been completed. These came from a HobbyBoss A-6 Intruder (thank goodness someone provides weaponry with their kits) and recieved a couple of coats of Halford's Appliance Gloss White from a rattle can and then had their panel lines picked out with some very thin Revell Anthracite and the decals added. With that done they were given a matt coat and had the cover on the nose painted red as these were kept covered until the aircraft went through their last pre-flight checks and I made some small red tags for the nose and tail area and fixed them on place, these are not like the normal remove before flight tags we're used to seeming to be much shorter. This is what they looked like when finished;

spacer.png

Next up was the seat which I finished painting;

spacer.png

I much prefer resin seats with moulded on belts as I am not that good at making etched ones look realistic.

Now it was time to sort out the main canopy which has a couple of mirrors added and some instruments in the centre which Hasegawa are a little unclear as to it's orientation so I made a best guess, I am happy to be proved wrong whilst I can still do something about it.

spacer.png

I added some small strips of reflective material to the mirrors which hopefully you can see in the picture below;

spacer.png

Just need to get these bits fixed in place and she will pretty much be complete!

Thanks for looking in and as usual all comments and criticisms are gratefully received.

Craig.

• Like 5

These will be the last pictures before the finished model ones tomorrow as all is complete now but I need better light for the pictures.

We will start with the undersides showing all the whizz bangery in situ;

spacer.png

And how she looks from above;

spacer.png

spacer.png

The canopy is just resting in place in the pictures and is now glued in place and the intake blanks fitted so it is literally just a matter of taking some pictures tomorrow.

Craig.

• Like 6