Low-viz devil dogs

Dansk

I’ve been looking forward to this for a long time.
Thank you craig @modelling minion for coming up with the idea and kindly hosting 🙏👍

My offering will be no doubt a popular kit here; the hasegawa 1/48 (wearing it’s M-guise in my case.)

I have an aires resin office to play with, i’ve never tried a resin cockpit before so that’s something to get stuck into.

50985854323_f824003788_b.jpg

Then I have these devil dog scooter decals on their way. I’m going for a low-viz M scheme.

(not sure which one yet... decisions decisions...)

50985863673_e2c3e3c966.jpg

50986572971_77bbc8a68e_b.jpg

To load up on weaponry (scooters look great loaded I think) I spent ages over the past weeks trawling ebay for hasegawa aircraft weapons sets (the kit only comes with the pontoon fuel tanks), and I then decided that eduards own mk.82’s / ter’s / mer’s / mk.81’s would be better and similar priced. But I ended up buying a second kit (hobbyboss) getting the whole kit for less money and that kit has enough weapons for two builds. SO I’ll be doing two! (Irrespective of the fact that I’m struggling to fulfill other gb commitments) 🤪🙃

The E from hobby boss will also wear a low-viz E scheme from the previous mentioned decal sheet.

So I think this will be a really fun one. I love STGB’s 🤗

And.... As if I hadn’t blown enough money, I got this book to help me out and it’s really good including some builds from other modellers in the rear section also.

50986671477_ba9944a2d3_b.jpg

Good luck everybody!

Edited by Dansk
  • Like 7

Great choice Paul, I think there will be a few of us building this one.

It will be nice to see one in the late USMC low vis markings, I believe that Furball sheet was their most popular one ever sold.

The lack of weapons in Hasegawa kits is a real pain and you are not the first to buy a HobbyBoss kit for less than a Hasegawa weapons set and you get a complete kit too!

Looks like you have everything you need for a great build/builds.

Looking forward to this one mate.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Great choice Paul, I think there will be a few of us building this one.

It will be nice to see one in the late USMC low vis markings, I believe that Furball sheet was their most popular one ever sold.

The lack of weapons in Hasegawa kits is a real pain and you are not the first to buy a HobbyBoss kit for less than a Hasegawa weapons set and you get a complete kit too!

Looks like you have everything you need for a great build/builds.

Looking forward to this one mate.

Thanks Craig. 👍

Is Dennis co-hosting with you on this? If so i should have mentioned him in my post above.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Dansk said:

Thanks Craig. 👍

Is Dennis co-hosting with you on this? If so i should have mentioned him in my post above.

6 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Solo effort this time mate, think I am going to be very busy!

Running ANZAC’s right now, however I could help Craig if you needed me too ? 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Running ANZAC’s right now, however I could help Craig if you needed me too ? 

You're very kind for offering too Dennis, but you are more than busy enough with the ANZAC GB. I will be fine looking after this one solo, everybody here is nevr any trouble at all, apart from @trickyrich obviously.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 2/28/2021 at 11:05 PM, modelling minion said:

I will have you know I have been to work for one full day this year! Thats more than enough for anybody.

Well, your employers loss is our gain Craig. 👍 

P.s. do you know why they are called scooters? 

I do love the STGBs, feels like a team effort when everyone builds the same type.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dansk said:

Well, your employers loss is our gain Craig. 👍 

P.s. do you know why they are called scooters? 

I do love the STGBs, feels like a team effort when everyone builds the same type.

Thanks Paul.

I have to say that I don't know why they are called scooters, other than the possibility that they were as much fun and manouverable to fly as a scooter is to ride.

I agree with you on STGB's, they can have a great and helpful atmosphere and I really hope that this one does too.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Thanks Paul.

I have to say that I don't know why they are called scooters, other than the possibility that they were as much fun and manouverable to fly as a scooter is to ride.

I agree with you on STGB's, they can have a great and helpful atmosphere and I really hope that this one does too.

Possibly from the fact they are Small, Nimble, and Fast like a scooter ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

On 27/02/2021 at 20:22, Dansk said:

then decided that eduards own mk.82’s / ter’s / mer’s / mk.81’s would be better and similar priced. But I ended up buying a second kit (hobbyboss) getting the whole kit for less money and that kit has enough

Good job you didn't  get the eduard mers and snakeyes paul,the eduard mers are actually a fraction small and the mk82s dont fit, i know because I've  been down that route, i also went down the 2nd hobby boss kit road i bought the1/48  a7e corsair kit for its stores and mounts , you get an absolute pile and I'll  be raiding it for its ters for my blacksheep mike, where did you get your lo-viz decal sheet from paul btw?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, zebra said:

Nice choice Paul. I used that decal sheet on an OA-4M a while ago, really liked it and one of these days I'll do one of the other options.

thanks. Cant wait for it to arrive theres some awesome options on it.

Well - A Fresh tidy desk, ready for a new project

51012746447_f1feea1f1b_b.jpg

I discovered this at the bottom of the hase box too, forgot I’d bought that. Result! Everthings gonna be great today I thought :yahoo:

51012746387_589a3930b2_b.jpg

Today to start off I’ve been dry fitting the aires resin cockpit.
It’s taken most of the day, cutting and sanding and refining.

I mean the thing just wasn’t designed to fit in this kit no matter what the sticker says.
It requires cuttting away the roof of the kits front gear well (omitting the detail from there) and requires sanding down to near transparent of both the resin floor and gear well roof. 

51011939878_ec2aa384ca_b.jpg

51011939788_0f76c8f7f9_b.jpg

Together with that a lot of fettling to get the damn thing to fit laterally as well.

51011939903_16a89e26d7_b.jpg

I wont go into detail on all the work necessary on the sidewalls and chopping away both parts of the tub and the fuselage to finesse the parts into acceptable tolerances. :angry:

To top off all that theres only a marginal improvement over the kits excellent cockpit anyway!!
51012654776_4508c7f206_b.jpg

51012654881_2ffdbf4529_b.jpg
Never again aires!

well things can only get better from here 🤞 , it’s all had a prime now in Mr surfacer 1500, ready for painting and more fettling and assembling.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Hewy said:

Good job you didn't  get the eduard mers and snakeyes paul,the eduard mers are actually a fraction small and the mk82s dont fit, i know because I've  been down that route, i also went down the 2nd hobby boss kit road i bought the1/48  a7e corsair kit for its stores and mounts , you get an absolute pile and I'll  be raiding it for its ters for my blacksheep mike, where did you get your lo-viz decal sheet from paul btw?

Good to hear glynn. 👍

The lo viz decals i ordered direct from the manufacturer in the US.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dansk said:

Never again aires!

I don't think that Aries have ever knowingly made a cockpit that actually fits the kit it is "designed" for, and I have to say that the improvement over the kit parts really is minimal.

I look forward to seeing the replacement cockpit painted up.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, modelling minion said:

I don't think that Aries have ever knowingly made a cockpit that actually fits the kit it is "designed" for, and I have to say that the improvement over the kit parts really is minimal.

I look forward to seeing the replacement cockpit painted up.

If I met the man, or woman, who designed this resin cockpit I would give them a piece of my mind.

this evening: more chopping and dry fitting and just..just...it fits now, having cut out the floor (which i’ll refit elevated) and cutting and shaving off huge amounts of resin. Theres not much left.

51016145903_d5f528b997_b.jpg

51016877966_95358afbf8_b.jpg

:wall:

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

15 minutes ago, modelling minion said:

Blimey Paul that really isn't good at all is it. I know that you will have a great looking cockpit (and model) but you shouldn't have to work that hard to achieve it. 

Its just too big both vertically and horizontally, i hate it.

well, it fits now with a tight squeeze.and you wont see much below the IP

I could have kept the wheel well roof intact had I know I would have had to cut out the resin floor in the end too.

Well, we’re on the easier path now. I hope it doesnt have any knock on effects with fit.

• Like 1